hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was down the front at the Housemartins gig, fist 5 minutes thinking "wtf???" then we were sold... brilliant.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Niffy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was down the front at the Housemartins gig, fist 5 minutes thinking "wtf???" then we were sold... brilliant.
    I was there too - Assembly Rooms in George Street.
    Heard Joyful Kilmarnock Blues for the first time and thought - who are these gadgies singing about Hibs?

Was SOL single put out as a 12" or 7"?

Very enjoyable. Its funny how bands you like can be influenced and helped by ones you cant stand .... Dexys Midnight Runners and the Housemartins for example .... Glad to see Alex Harvey referenced as well, now there was a band.

The very thing that makes the Proclaimers great and to an extent unique is that even when they do a love song it still has a hard edge to it, kind of like 'Aye ah kin be soppy, but ah kin still kick yer heid in' if ye take the piss' ...... That's why I hated the 'Sunshine on Leith' film, that in yer face edge was binned in favour of a load of soppy sounding mush.

Whatever their legacy there cant be many bands who have A) written a football anthem .... and B) written one specifically identified with the club they support ..... what more could you want

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Very enjoyable. Its funny how bands you like can be influenced and helped by ones you cant stand .... Dexys Midnight Runners and the Housemartins for example .... Glad to see Alex Harvey referenced as well, now there was a band.

The very thing that makes the Proclaimers great and to an extent unique is that even when they do a love song it still has a hard edge to it, kind of like 'Aye ah kin be soppy, but ah kin still kick yer heid in' if ye take the piss' ...... That's why I hated the 'Sunshine on Leith' film, that in yer face edge was binned in favour of a load of soppy sounding mush.

Whatever their legacy there cant be many bands who have A) written a football anthem .... and B) written one specifically identified with the club they support ..... what more could you want
    Also the maverick. Bill Drummond. A talent like no other

Quote Originally Posted by Edina Erin View Post
    I was there too - Assembly Rooms in George Street.
    Heard Joyful Kilmarnock Blues for the first time and thought - who are these gadgies singing about Hibs?
    Aye same. Mind they were selling their tape at the back. I just said "Nah, you're ok" What an idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

The original Alex Harvey Band used to play regularly in the Eldorado ballroom on a Saturday night in the sixties. They were fantastic and one of the first truly professional bands I'd ever seen.

He may be a St Mirren fan, but I loved Chris Brookmyre slapping down the American music journo’s over the usage of the word “haver".....absolutely priceless.

@hibs.net private member
    Good documentary, I differ politically from the twins but I love the lyrics in their songs. Amazing to think "500 miles" is still a big earner for them that allows them to tour and release new material

Quote Originally Posted by Curried View Post
    He may be a St Mirren fan, but I loved Chris Brookmyre slapping down the American music journo’s over the usage of the word “haver".....absolutely priceless.
    I do like Chris Brookmyre, there is a brilliant joke about Andy Dow in one of his books ("Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks" I think?).

Really good doco, good selection of talking heads for once that were pretty relevant to what was going on, sad (but also very very glad) to see Edwyn Collins and Justin Currie is looking old!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Good documentary, I differ politically from the twins but I love the lyrics in their songs. Amazing to think "500 miles" is still a big earner for them that allows them to tour and release new material
    Kinda my thoughts, not on the same political wavelength by any means but that has no bearing on how I feel about their music

Listening to SoL just now, sure workmates wondering whey I look very smiley with a tear in the eye at the same time :)
    Last edited by Iain G; 23-06-2017 at 11:07 AM.

@hibs.net private member tamsonsbairn's Avatar

Proclaimers gig

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Kinda my thoughts, not on the same political wavelength by any means but that has no bearing on how I feel about their music

Listening to SoL just now, sure workmates wondering whey I look very smiley with a tear in the eye at the same time :)
    Anyone notice the white away jumbos top with wonga on the front. i don't know which gig it was though, nice to see at least one jumbo wi a good taste for music, I'm sure it was while they were belting SOL
    Last edited by tamsonsbairn; 24-06-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Watched it last night. Really well done documentary and a great insight into their early years, which I didn't know a lot about.

Good to see Edwyn Collins looking relatively well all things considered.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Watched it last night. Really well done documentary and a great insight into their early years, which I didn't know a lot about.

Good to see Edwyn Collins looking relatively well all things considered.
    Watched on catch up last night too. Was thinking the same about Edwyn. Really enjoyed the whole show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    The original Alex Harvey Band used to play regularly in the Eldorado ballroom on a Saturday night in the sixties. They were fantastic and one of the first truly professional bands I'd ever seen.
    I jumped on #26 bus recently to see Hibs play and sat next to a woman who was very chatty . Turns out she went out with Alex Harvey just as the band were gaining success. She must be well in her 60s now and sadly a blue nose from West Lothian but nonetheless amazing stories. Like the one when she was on her way to meet Alex Harvey when two Celtc radges grabbed her and held her over a bridge above the Clyde by her ankles. They had clocked her 'Gers' badges on her denim jacket.

Anyway... back on track... the Proclaimers documentary was great. They come across as really decent, principled and talented lads. The Hibs bit had me with a lump in my throat for sure.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lewyhfc
    Anyone got it downloaded and able to email it over?

Abroad and no idea what a VPN is.

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeeleicester View Post
    Anyone got it downloaded and able to email it over?

Abroad and no idea what a VPN is.
    Try this http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5rl4ua

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Spotted Charlie and his wife on Prince's St. today whilst in town with my daughter.

Congratulated him on a great documentary. He was very pleasant back.

SOL is a cracking anthem. Better than YNWA thats sung by different clubs, SOL is ours and ours alone.

Whens its in full swing like the cup final it truly is magnificent.