hibs.net Messageboard

Page 184 of 430 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234284 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,520 of 12885
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless your behind a girder or the police box
    They are the best seats
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    When they were picking the colours back in the 1870's they must have either had a knocked off batch of paint they did not want to go to waste or were, again, ahead of their time and already planning for the great wars and wanting their ground to not be obvious to enemy bombers.
    Hearts originally played in the establishment's favourite combo of Red, White and Blue. On one of the rare occasions they washed the kit it the colours ran coming out a drab, dreary, shabby shade of dark pink i.e. maroon.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    To be fair it will complete the stadium and look good from the inside.
    You mean you can see Tynie from Saughton? How depressing.

Have you ever been ?

It's a hole and one of the biggest myths in Scottish football is the atmosphere.

Numerous threads on kickback last season saying they have no songs and no one sings.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I agree, it will look absolutely fine. The problem is that in true Hearts fashion, they’ve made it out to be something it isn’t. It’s a bog standard stand to go with the other three they already have.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    The FF was designed with pitch view boxes. As another poster mentions, there’s slso a big hospitality area to the South side of main stand that looks out over the pitch. We have the capability but they don’t. Maybe they’ll build a new Robbo lounge at some point - maybe perched alongside the glorious police control box.
    On top of it, block the view of more pink seats

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    Not because it is their colour but maroon is such a dreary colour. When they were picking the colours back in the 1870's they must have either had a knocked off batch of paint they did not want to go to waste or were, again, ahead of their time and already planning for the great wars and wanting their ground to not be obvious to enemy bombers. Structurally, compared to what was there before, the actual stand does not look too bad except I will say one thing that struck me in other photos and although I know I must be wrong, it looks as if those in the back seats will have to be careful when they stand up. Think they have crammed in too many seats in a bid to be a big club.

But the front......I don't get it at all. As a façade it looks like old architecture to me, completely without imagination....unless the design allows some lucrative tenants moving in. Maybe the Edinburgh Council will relocate there and pay exorbitant rent.

15 million? Seems a lot for a temporary solution to the asbestos problem of the old stand.
    Obviously the enemy bombers weren't fooled !!

yams new stadium.jpg

That's more like it!

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I agree, it will look absolutely fine. The problem is that in true Hearts fashion, they’ve made it out to be something it isn’t. It’s a bog standard stand to go with the other three they already have.
    This is the nub of it. It will be a very decent stand, but it's uninspiring and does look like it has been built on the cheap...despite being expensive ! However green tinted specs aside, it's actually good to see other Scottish teams investing in infrastructure, the scottish game has needed it for a long time.

Don't let that stop anyone, continuing to take the piss on here though ! always cheers my day up ! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Hearts originally played in the establishment's favourite combo of Red, White and Blue. On one of the rare occasions they washed the kit it the colours ran coming out a drab, dreary, shabby shade of dark pink i.e. maroon.
    Their first strips were supplied by the pub that they were named after, The Heart of Midlothian. They were ahead of their time and could argue that they were the first club to have a sponsors logo on their jersey. The heart they had on their chest was a bit of free advertising for the pub that created them.
    It cant be denied that they are biggest pub team in Edinburgh

Quote Originally Posted by Criswell View Post
    Reading some of their comments re their new stand one is struck by the almost child-like enthusiasm they all seem to have for every last minute detail . Does a grown-up really get "goosebumps" when a workman nails some cheap tacky-looking signage on to it. Quite sad really. They really will have to "get a life"
    You got quoted over the road with this post, one of the Bulgarian balcony blubberers thought you lacked irony and posted a hilarious meme featuring a Canadian singer who was popular for five minutes two decades ago. The hilarious meme post was subsequently re posted as several cardigans thought that one view of the meme didn't do justice to the humour that the first posting evoked.

Im not sure what thread I like best, their stand thread or ours, theirs always leaves me shaking my head at the blind optimism but they unwittingly provide much of the ammunition which we then recycle on our thread with add ons and analysis attached.

In truth, this thread wouldn't exist without their thread.

And maybe the blind optimism of their thread would be tempered if they never had us peering over their shoulders looking for ammo to use against them. The fact that they know we are watching might possibly make some of their more hard wired posters less inclined to show anything but unflinching support for The Budge Vision.

Their thread repeats the mantra 'allisbarry' with no questions asked. Im convinced that this cult like mentality has evolved into a shield to protect them from the unpalatable truths that they feel slicing into them like a Cummings goal everytime their Gods And Masters make a James Hunt of their club

Our thread just states the bleeding obvious with a bit of humour thrown in.
    Last edited by fat freddy; 18-10-2017 at 07:39 PM.

I doubt many Jambos will care about the appearance of the stand when it is full for a match. The proximity of the stands to the pitch and 'boxed-in' single-tier stands will be great for the atmosphere. I believe that most Premiership fans would have claimed Tynecastle as the best Premiership stadium for atmosphere (outside of the tribute acts) — their new stand should only solidify this claim.

I wish Easter Road's stands were as close to the pitch and towered over players like they will at Tynecastle. The closest we can get to that at the moment would be to lengthen/widen the pitch unnecessarily and stick unsymmetrical advertising boards between the stands. (Not very close...)

I would rather have the dated office block appearance and slightly smaller capacity if it means stands sitting on top of the pitch and a better atmosphere.
    Last edited by PerfectlyFranck; 18-10-2017 at 09:15 PM.

@hibs.net private member Greenfly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This is the nub of it. It will be a very decent stand, but it's uninspiring and does look like it has been built on the cheap...despite being expensive ! However green tinted specs aside, it's actually good to see other Scottish teams investing in infrastructure, the scottish game has needed it for a long time.

Don't let that stop anyone, continuing to take the piss on here though ! always cheers my day up ! lol
    This is very true as is the Bunberry piece you quote. It will look ok inside and add some symmetry. There will be seats on which they can park themselves and have a decent enough view (apart from those behind police boxes and whatever else) of whatever mince is taking place on the pitch down below. The front looks bland and thoroughly uninspiring apart from the paving mosaic stuff which is a decent enough idea. That said, any facade has to be an improvement on the previous eyesore.

It's functional - seats (eventually), a roof, a few necessary facilities. And really that's it - the sum total and the best you can say about it - a utilitarian box that will serve its basic purpose - fullstop.

Yet when you read Dicksack you'd think this was the Taj Mahal of Gorgie - Building of the Year and a dead cert replacement for Holyrood Palace. Wise up maroon lads and lasses - it'll be ok (until it shows its age in a few years) but nothing more. You've swapped a very old engine shed for a 70s bus station and spent lots of dosh you don't have in the process.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Thing is, they know fine well that it is a basic stand.

It’s a massive improvement on what they had before and they’re finally catching up with us after close on 20 years, but there’s absolutely nothing special about it.

Someone earlier mentioned it’s like a cult on kickback. That’s so true. Anyone even slightly questioning any issue is immediately shot down in flames as if what they’re doing is perfection and couldn’t possibly have been any better.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post

I'm not sure about that at all.

Given the mess they've made of the build, I won't be at all surprised if they've made some fundamental design mistakes too.

We can see the compromised sight lines for ourselves. I think there will be many more. Keeping that brutal office block at a comfortable temperature might be an obvious issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu View Post
    I doubt many Jambos will care about the appearance of the stand when it is full for a match. The proximity of the stands to the pitch and 'boxed-in' single-tier stands will be great for the atmosphere. I believe that most Premiership fans would have claimed Tynecastle as the best Premiership stadium for atmosphere (outside of the tribute acts) — their new stand should only solidify this claim.

I wish Easter Road's stands were as close to the pitch and towered over players like they will at Tynecastle. The closest we can get to that at the moment would be to lengthen/widen the pitch unnecessarily and stick unsymmetrical advertising boards between the stands. (Not very close...)

I would rather have the dated office block appearance and slightly smaller capacity if it means stands sitting on top of the pitch and a better atmosphere.
    😂😂😂

Great post, should get the discussion really going.

Are you in favour of the tin, tape and pop-rivet construction method too? Really modern.

Whether or not their new stand is a “thing of beauty” in their eyes, when you plan improvements, you must think of the bigger picture. They haven’t.

Summed up - even with their new UEFA compliant stand - it doesn’t alter the fact their pitch will STILL not be UEFA compliant. Surely that should have been factored in for the future. Alleged so called self styled atmospheric superiority doesn’t override the compliance rules

The comparison is, that even though we took a few years to rebuild all four sides of Easter Road, we at least had the foresight to ensure the whole stadium was UEFA compliant.

Yes but the stadium is still not UEFA compliant and since the construction of that stand can never become compliant.

They will have to rely on annual dispensations to play even League matches there for evermore.

I would rather have the dated office block appearance and slightly smaller capacity if it means stands sitting on top of the pitch and a better
    atmosphere.
    The stands at ER are taller than the PBS ..... Its true they aren't as close to the pitch, but then I doubt there are many grounds in Europe where the stands encroach as much as they do at the PBS, if there was I doubt UEFA would have set the standards they have for pitch size and run off areas.

As for the atmosphere. The new stand might solidify the 'claim' .. but that's all it is a 'claim' ... because as witnesses by the numerous posts on Kickback on the subject the home fans aren't exactly taking advantage of the grounds clearly advantageous to atmosphere configuration. I'm not sure why the new stand will change that ..... you have to actually make a noise first.

Hell, the way some folk go on you would think the stands at ER were as far from the pitch as somewhere like West Ham or Wolves ...... the truth is they are pretty average compared to most stadiums and I cant remember the atmosphere being a problem when we were thumping the Yams in front of them last season. I always think folk are deceived because the ends of the FF and south stands were left a few yards short of the east when it was rebuilt, but the front of the stands in themselves are, as I said, a pretty average distance from the touchlines.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 18-10-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    Their first strips were supplied by the pub that they were named after, The Heart of Midlothian. They were ahead of their time and could argue that they were the first club to have a sponsors logo on their jersey. The heart they had on their chest was a bit of free advertising for the pub that created them.
    It cant be denied that they are biggest pub team in Edinburgh
    Oddfellows

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Chicken and egg scenario here I suppose but which came first - Edinburgh buses, trams etc etc with maroon on them or the Poppy Thieves. I m a Weegie Hibby (Edinburgh born but left when I was 3) so forgive me as I am a bit unsure of the history of this.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I'm not sure about that at all.

Given the mess they've made of the build, I won't be at all surprised if they've made some fundamental design mistakes too.

We can see the compromised sight lines for ourselves. I think there will be many more. Keeping that brutal office block at a comfortable temperature might be an obvious issue.
    17 days till we find out!

They're not half getting worked up about it now though. Why are they going on about the biggest glass curtain wall in Scottish football (also the smallest btw) if nobody's going to care about it?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    They'll have a decent ground when the things eventually completed, no more, no less. If they hadn't been proclaiming the arrival of something akin to the eighth wonder of the world, then this thread wouldn't exist.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar

Agree, there's been far too much emphasis on here about the capacity. It's as if we've been sucked into their obsession with size. They've gone for quality over quantity, and it can hardly be argued that their stadium won't be better than ours when theirs will have an escalator and a glass wall.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Agree, there's been far too much emphasis on here about the capacity. It's as if we've been sucked into their obsession with size. They've gone for quality over quantity, and it can hardly be argued that their stadium won't be better than ours when theirs will have an escalator and a glass wall.
    Surely the only way forward is for us to abandon our pitiful stadium and beg her ladyship to allow us to ground share at the magnificent erection that is Tynecastle Park.

They've gone for quality over quantity
    This will only be true if the final capacity is 4 seats.

Not to mention chips.

By my reckoning there's around 90 glass panels at the Main Stand entrance. Quite how anyone thought that would be ever be enough, and wouldn't leave us totally open to ridicule down the line, is frankly embarrassing.

Even worse that they provide full view of amateurish staircases inside, as well.