hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

Fire in London tower block

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40269625

watching live the now, looks horrendous

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Hibbycol's Avatar
    Horrendous sight . 27 storeys in flames BBC says 250 flats !!!!! Jesus Mary and Joseph hope EVERYBODY GOT OUT SAFE . Praying for everbodys safety

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Just watching it now. Horrendous. Started at 1am when most folk would have been in bed. Can't recall seeing a building in the UK that high ablaze. Chances of it collapsing as well. Just horrible and can't help thinking that the casualty number will be high.

Terrible scenes, a guy trapped on the 11th floor has been at the window for about an hour. An hydraulic platform trying to reach him hope he makes it.

Lots of people reporting not hearing any alarms. How is this possible in 2017??

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Dreadful situation to be in. Can only imagine the horror for those trapped. No information on casualties but with a fire of that magnitude and the time it happened there must be many. Hope I'm wŕong and by some miracle everyone has managed to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems to be either a lack of a communal area alarm or it didn't work.

Testimonial Due
    Jeezo, that is like something out of film. Horrendous.

Awful getting some real heart breaking events at the moment

Residents told in the event of fire to stay on their flats. Good grief what a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Just heard a resident on radio saying there's been gas works going on in the building.

I read the grenfell residents blog and they predicted a block fire that would be cost a huge number of human life due to the under funding and horrendous treatment of residences safety in 2013 !!!!!!!!!! . I thank Christ I don't live in a high rise anymore, I've been in two fires and the smoke and heat is indescribable . Those poor poor people

Six dead with the number expected to rise. Such a shame for loved ones waiting for news.

@hibs.net private member Prof. Shaggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbycol View Post
    I read the grenfell residents blog and they predicted a block fire that would be cost a huge number of human life due to the under funding and horrendous treatment of residences safety in 2013 !!!!!!!!!! . I thank Christ I don't live in a high rise anymore, I've been in two fires and the smoke and heat is indescribable . Those poor poor people

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...with-fire/amp/
    Last edited by Prof. Shaggy; 14-06-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: link wrong

There's a lot of these buildings around and they're way past their design life. Replacing them's pretty complex even when you have the kind of values you can get in London. I've done a few and it takes a long, long time.

Something has to change in the safety of these buildings, sadly it ALWAYS takes a disaster or people dying for this to happen . It's very very sad

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I've just seen the pictures on the news. I fear the death toll will rise a fair bit. What an absolutely sickening sight to see, it couldn't have happened at a worse time either.
    I really hope everyone else has managed to get out alive.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Horrendous and happened at the worst possible time for occupancy. As in most fires many have probably sadly perished through smoke inhalation.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Residents told in the event of fire to stay on their flats. Good grief what a tragedy.
    Because that's what you are supposed to do if you live in a high rise flat. They are designed so that any fire that breaks out is contained in the flat it broke out in. Not sure what happened in this case.

I lived at one of the highrises in the calders a few years ago when a fire broke out and we where all evacuated by the emergency services , thick black smoke like hell , fumbling our way down the stairs , very frightening . A plan was in place in my experience but none as far as I have seen or heard via BBC news in the London high rise. Bloody shocking if it so .

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinNish View Post
    Because that's what you are supposed to do if you live in a high rise flat. They are designed so that any fire that breaks out is contained in the flat it broke out in. Not sure what happened in this case.
    Could be a simple case of the door to the flat where it started being opened or the fire stopping in service ducts etc being breached by works carried out and never sealed again.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    It's just mental that these *******s who are the facility managers ignored them time after time.

Why did the council not listen?
    Why did the council continue with that company?
    Why did the company threaten 60% of the people in the action group because they were trying to prevent this?

Why?

Because they got their cash so it's all sound.

What a tragic disaster.
    It is so extremely frustrating to hear folk on the radio time after time, interview after interview, saying that this was a huge concern to them.

I believe the same company were involved in a similar incident a few years ago.

It makes you sick.

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    From the eye witness reports, the fire seems to have spread via the outside of the building, which during the recent tart-up was clad with composite aluminium/insulation sandwich panels (and curtain walling). People said that the panels were bursting into flames one after another.

There are regulations in place to prevent this sort of spread of flame in high rise buildings, ie. the insulating material in the panel and fire breaks in any ventilation gaps behind the panels. It'll be interesting to see if somebody is found to have cut corners.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    So many questions to be answered here, from building materials used to fire evacuation procedures. For an entire block to be ablaze within minutes is very worrying. A terrible tragedy.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Something has to change in the safety of these buildings, sadly it ALWAYS takes a disaster or people dying for this to happen . It's very very sad

There seems to have been something seriously wrong here. There was a fire in the Trellick Tower a couple of weeks back and it stayed within the flat. There was another a year or so ago in South London which was contained on one floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    From the eye witness reports, the fire seems to have spread via the outside of the building, which during the recent tart-up was clad with composite aluminium/insulation sandwich panels (and curtain walling). People said that the panels were bursting into flames one after another.

There are regulations in place to prevent this sort of spread of flame in high rise buildings, ie. the insulating material in the panel and fire breaks in any ventilation gaps behind the panels. It'll be interesting to see if somebody is found to have cut corners.
    You might recall a building in the UAE going up like that not so long ago.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Woke up this morning and the first thing I saw on social media was a comment by an "engineer" blaming the cladding.
    Obviously far too early to know all the facts but he seemed to be convinced it was a combination of a "plastic" and a metal fire,,,,I do know metal fires are very difficult to control, especially if fuelled, normally electricity but in this case possibly plastics.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    It's horrible hearing some of the stories about people jumping from their flats to avoid the fire. It seems a number of children were saved though by their parents throwing them from windows. A baby was dropped from the 9th or 10th floor and caught by a man on the ground according to an eye witness.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Woke up this morning and the first thing I saw on social media was a comment by an "engineer" blaming the cladding.
    Obviously far too early to know all the facts but he seemed to be convinced it was a combination of a "plastic" and a metal fire,,,,I do know metal fires are very difficult to control, especially if fuelled, normally electricity but in this case possibly plastics.
    Yeah, get where you're coming from. First heard about the fire on radio news and thought "it'll have been contained to a couple of floors". Was shocked when a saw pictures on BBC website, the whole thing was on fire! Defo something dodgy.

https://twitter.com/luciajwalker/sta...08864327307264

Stomach churning, knowing there's people inside that is just sickening.