hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The DUP

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    • As part of the deal, the military covenant will be implemented in full in Northern Ireland, meaning more focus on the treatment of military veterans, while the triple lock guarantee of at least a 2.5% rise
    • in the state pension each year, and winter fuel payments, will be maintained throughout the UK.
    • The DUP will support the Tories on all Brexit and security legislation
    • The UK's 2% Nato defence spending target will continue to be met
    • Cash support for farmers will remain at current levels until the next election
    • Both parties to adhere to commitments in Good Friday Agreement
    • No Irish border poll without "consent of the people"

is it really that bad ? some of these things won't suit everyone obviously

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You overestimate the intellect of a particular part of the UK, which dictates British politics.
    What do you actually mean here?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    What do you actually mean here?
    You know exactly what I mean and they'll continue to drag Scotland down with them.

May is essentially risking the entire peace process to cling onto power. Shameful.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    • As part of the deal, the military covenant will be implemented in full in Northern Ireland, meaning more focus on the treatment of military veterans, while the triple lock guarantee of at least a 2.5% rise
    • in the state pension each year, and winter fuel payments, will be maintained throughout the UK.
    • The DUP will support the Tories on all Brexit and security legislation
    • The UK's 2% Nato defence spending target will continue to be met
    • Cash support for farmers will remain at current levels until the next election
    • Both parties to adhere to commitments in Good Friday Agreement
    • No Irish border poll without "consent of the people"

is it really that bad ? some of these things won't suit everyone obviously

Both parties aren't adhering to the Good Friday Agreement which states Westminster must remain neutral on matters relating to NI.

How can the Tories claim to be neutral when they are relying on the support of one side to remain in power?
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

First Team Breakthrough
    But.... but we've been hearing how Ruth Davidson and the 13 Scottish Tory MPs were going to be influential within this government, where's the extra funding for Scotland?

This is a basically a bribe to keep Theresa May in power, it's not in the national interest and is completely unfair to the other nations within the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    But.... but we've been hearing how Ruth Davidson and the 13 Scottish Tory MPs were going to be influential within this government, where's the extra funding for Scotland?

This is a basically a bribe to keep Theresa May in power, it's not in the national interest and is completely unfair to the other nations within the UK.

10,000 police officers=0.6 billion.
    1 DUP backhander=1 billion.

You know exactly what I mean and they'll continue to drag Scotland down with them.
    No I don't. Maybe you could just say who you are sneering at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    May is essentially risking the entire peace process to cling onto power. Shameful.
    It's a disgraceful deal. I can only take comfort in the belief that it won't be enough to save her.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    This is the most critical part of the deal for me.

"In furtherance of these arrangements, the Government and the*DUP*will work together to ensure the necessary support can be established by both parties to fulfil these arrangements. A co-ordination committee will be convened for this purpose, chaired by the Government. The parties will agree the modus operandi of this committee. The Northern Ireland Secretary will not sit on this committee."

Are we to believe that the Northern Ireland Secretary will not be informed of the machinations of this committee?

This part is like a sharp stick in the eye to the Scottish parliament, who've already voted to hold a second Independence referendum. Not at this time doesn't seem to cut it.

"As set out in its General Election manifesto, the Conservative Party will never be neutral in expressing its support for the Union. As the UK Government we believe that Northern Ireland's future is best served within a stronger United Kingdom. We will always uphold the consent principle and the democratic wishes of the people of Northern Ireland. The Conservative Party will never countenance any constitutional arrangements that are incompatible with the consent principle."

The deal is only for 2 years, and I'd put cash on it, that they'll be back for more cash when it expires. Arlene will need to if she's to pay for her monstrosity of the cash for ash scandal.

It seems that the new Scottish Tories have been telt. Shut it. Canny hear any of them on the wires "Standing up for Scottish interests".
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 26-06-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    No I don't. Maybe you could just say who you are sneering at this time.
    I don't sneer. I am however accustomed to being sneered at by those who have a one dimensional view on nationalism.

I don't sneer. I am however accustomed to being sneered at by those who have a one dimensional view on nationalism.
    I guess dismissing everybody who does not agree with you as being ill informed doesn't count as sneering then.
    Still waiting for you to explain your cryptic remark.

Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    And for some light-hearted relief from the drudgery of our current reality:

https://theulsterfry.com/business/co...chnology-deal/

First Team Breakthrough
    Looking forward to Ruth bringing home 1 billion in extra cash for the support of the Scottish Tories.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    The message from this for Scotland must be vote for a party that has no chance of winning the election and instead vote for a party that could swing the balance of power if you want to see significant improvements in infrastructure.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    It's a disgraceful deal. I can only take comfort in the belief that it won't be enough to save her.
    On the plus side, it looks like my journey to work will be 20 minutes shorter in a couple of years. So thanks to all the UK tax payers!

Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    On the plus side, it looks like my journey to work will be 20 minutes shorter in a couple of years. So thanks to all the UK tax payers!
    How come? New roads south of Belfast? I haven't heard any details but a flyover from the west link to the M2 would be a big improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    How come? New roads south of Belfast? I haven't heard any details but a flyover from the west link to the M2 would be a big improvement.
    Five live discussed one of the main infrastructure plans as the York Street junction. Some builder boss very happy. Even suggested shovels could be starting by the end of the summer as the plans are all available. Just need a bit of cash. If I was really greedy sorting out sprucefield M1 / A1 would be a bonus. 😀

Five live discussed one of the main infrastructure plans as the York Street junction. Some builder boss very happy. Even suggested shovels could be starting by the end of the summer as the plans are all available. Just need a bit of cash. If I was really greedy sorting out sprucefield M1 / A1 would be a bonus. 😀
    A tunnel from Donaghadee to Port Patrick would be top of my wishlist. It wouldn't need to be big enough to get a vehicle in, I'd be willing to crawl back to Scotland if it meant never being stuck on a ferry loaded full of huns ever again

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I never thought I would ever vote Tory, but, if Theresa May is interested, she can also buy my vote for 1.4 billion. I will even put the poster in the windae.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 27-06-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Not quite Paxo on Howard, but not far off it. Krishnan Guru Murthy was more or less openly guffawing at the answers some random govt minister was giving him on C4 news last night anaw. It appears some of the media have stopped taking the May govt seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Not quite Paxo on Howard, but not far off it. Krishnan Guru Murthy was more or less openly guffawing at the answers some random govt minister was giving him on C4 news last night anaw. It appears some of the media have stopped taking the May govt seriously.
    Well it's an embarrassment. Traditionally politicians of all parties try to avoid answering the question, and we as the public give them kudos for how skilfully they do it. But the new generation of Tory MPs are playing a new game, inspired by the 'maybot', where they repeat a stock phrase again and again and again no matter what the question is. Someone somewhere has told them that it's effective, but Its terrible politics because it's so transparent. A Dianne Abbott gaff is embarrassing but it is also a demonstration of her humanity. I can't see it lasting long, James Harding or one of these media/marketing gurus will be along shortly to humanise them again with some intensive communication skills training pioneered by a global supermarket chain.

That's the way it works

I'd have hoped that 1bn might get you a couple of JCBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'd have hoped that 1bn might get you a couple of JCBs.
    Can't really lean on a JCB as well as you can on a shovel.

Plus the JCBs will be being 'borrowed' to visit local cash points.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Well it's an embarrassment. Traditionally politicians of all parties try to avoid answering the question, and we as the public give them kudos for how skilfully they do it. But the new generation of Tory MPs are playing a new game, inspired by the 'maybot', where they repeat a stock phrase again and again and again no matter what the question is. Someone somewhere has told them that it's effective, but Its terrible politics because it's so transparent. A Dianne Abbott gaff is embarrassing but it is also a demonstration of her humanity. I can't see it lasting long, James Harding or one of these media/marketing gurus will be along shortly to humanise them again with some intensive communication skills training pioneered by a global supermarket chain.

That's the way it works
    I can almost imagine Malcolm Tucker in the background:

'Why doesn't he know the ****ing lines, why are there ministers on TV who don't know the ****ing lines. We know he doesn't ****ing know what the **** he's doing but he needs to learn the ****ing lines. Make sure your ministers know the ****ing lines'

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This

this is the only time (certainly since devolution in 1999) that a decision to allocate outwith Barnett for devolved administrations has been made explicitly to secure the votes of a particular party at Westminster"

is the absolute point of this whole debate. It's bribery, plain and simple.

As the deadline for talks to restore a power sharing agreement in NI approaches the DUP have stated their preference is now for direct rule. Funny that, now that they have leverage at Westminster. Sneaky *******s. It's a dangerous game they're playing and I don't see a good outcome any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    As the deadline for talks to restore a power sharing agreement in NI approaches the DUP have stated their preference is now for direct rule. Funny that, now that they have leverage at Westminster. Sneaky *******s. It's a dangerous game they're playing and I don't see a good outcome any time soon.
    When you consider it's already a time of high tension in Nationalist communities given the provocative, sorry traditional, marching season is upon us it beggars belief they can state a preference for direct rule.

There's going to be a high profile incident before the turn of the year imo. troubling times.