hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The DUP

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

The DUP

I've not seen much of the news in the last 2 days, has anything been made of their controversial views and the fact that they now have a significant influence on U.K. politics.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Interesting piece on the DUP in the Irish times.

https://t.co/e3353BRxm8

Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting piece on the DUP in the Irish times.

https://t.co/e3353BRxm8
    That's a very interesting article. Hopefully their shady dealings and stone-age views will come under some proper scrutiny now that they've crawled out to help prop up the UK minority government.

First Team Breakthrough
    I just cant see this deal lasting. There's a few Tories already unhappy because of the DUP's dodgy views.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    I just cant see this deal lasting. There's a few Tories already unhappy because of the DUP's dodgy views.
    That's if it even gets off the ground.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Surely a partnership with the DUP would have severe implications for the Good Friday Agreement, which promised neutrality from the UK government ?

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Surely a partnership with the DUP would have severe implications for the Good Friday Agreement, which promised neutrality from the UK government ?
    That is a major worry and shows the lengths these *******s will go to in order to stay in power.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Testimonial Due
    Alastair Campbell was on breakfast news this morn going mad about May putting the GFA in jeopardy

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    That is a major worry and shows the lengths these *******s will go to in order to stay in power.
    Desperate measures. Cannae see Sinn Fein being happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Alastair Campbell was on breakfast news this morn going mad about May putting the GFA in jeopardy
    I can see why. For all the faults of the Blair government, and John Majors, their commitment to bring peace to NI was never in doubt.

However fragile that peace might be at the moment it simply can't be put in any further jeopardy to keep a lame duck PM in place.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Surely may has lost the plot?calling an election she didn't need to,then losing her majority,then going to jump into bed with the dup.after all the allegations thrown at corbyn being an ira sympathizer and this idiot is going in with the dup double standards much?

Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    Surely may has lost the plot?calling an election she didn't need to,then losing her majority,then going to jump into bed with the dup.after all the allegations thrown at corbyn being an ira sympathizer and this idiot is going in with the dup double standards much?
    Double standards has never bothered the Tories when it comes to NI.

They were vocal critics of Republican paramilitaries being supported and facilitated from Dublin yet a policy of collusion between the British military, RUC and security services and Loyalist paramilitaries was an open secret. There's suggestions the death toll runs into the hundreds.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Surely every time there's a vote that requires DUP support there's going to be scrutiny on the type of people needed by the tories to win the vote. Even with a favourable press it's going to pile the pressure on May. I can't see anything other than another election in the near future.
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Surely every time there's a vote that requires DUP support there's going to be scrutiny on the type of people needed by the tories to win the vote. Even with a favourable press it's going to pile the pressure on May. I can't see anything other than another election in the near future.
    I agree.

The longer the Tories collude with them, the worse their popularity will become.

They may decide to go for a minority government in the knowledge that another election is inevitable, but it would limit the damage if a DUP deal.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

You have to laugh at the hypocrisy of the right wing media ,now trying to distance themselves from Theresa May.

The new grammar schools will have to teach creationism.

Desperate measures. Cannae see Sinn Fein being happy with that.

Máirtín Ó Muilleoir certainly isn't. SDLP and Alliance party members also expressing concern about James Brokenshire's ability to remain inpartial during talks to restore the assembly if the DUP strike a deal with the UK government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40239664

Most of the hard-core Tories I've ever met think the GFA should be torn Up.
    21.05.2016. I Was There.

.net PM board "Biggest Slaver of the year 2014"

Less talk, more gifs. :

Testimonial Due
    Heard that they sre asking for soft brexit and a, wait for it, £1billion pound investment in NI.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Backward, nauseating ****wits. Aye let's not worry about the implications of Brexit for NI, the fact there's currently no agreement for the assembly at Stormont or health and education issues eh?

Let's prioritise allowing orangemen to march at Drumcree. FFS it annoys me on a daily basis that I live on the same island as those ignorant ****s. The scale of it and the reach they have is overwhelmingly depressing sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Heard that they sre asking for soft brexit and a, wait for it, £1billion pound investment in NI.
    To be fair to them (that's usually impossible) they're right to go in high. They've been handed an unbelievable opportunity to improve NI and I hope they do their best to get a good deal out of this awful situation. Quite what they'd consider the finer detail of what constitutes a good deal to be is a whole other matter of course.

And then there's the manner they'd want to spend that money... the mind boggles.
    Last edited by Mr White; 12-06-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Anybody else hear the DUP MP Ian Paisley saying "the futures orange" on the BBC? Welcome to the future of UK politics.

Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    Anybody else hear the DUP MP Ian Paisley saying "the futures orange" on the BBC? Welcome to the future of UK politics.

Yep.

It's been happening for a while now, with, Ruth Davidson's, comments on Fratricidal conflict, unbecoming of a leader within the Scottish Parliament. The election of Orange order members to local councils, although small in number, is another sign.

Now we have the political wing of the UDA/UVF holding the WM minority gov over a barrel.

The futures Orange indeed, but only is some peoples eyes.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Remember this classic with Sammy Wilson?

"So is you Irish"?
    "No, I'm British"
    "So is you 'ere on 'oliday"?

HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Theresa is facing a ****storm over the next week or so. Hope it hurts.

https://t.co/GTca6UB9n1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40336803

So newly elected DUP MP Emma Little Pengelly doesn't think there's any need to remove UVF flags from a mixed community housing development in South East Belfast. Of course the fact that her father Noel Little served time in jail for paramilitary gun running and she failed to distance herself from backing received from Loyalist paramilitaries during her campaign are entirely irrelevant to her opinion on these flags and she'd feel exactly the same if it were IRA or INLA flags being displayed...

I've noticed a lot more UVF flags in Bangor this year, they're absolutely everywhere. It's interesting that the PSNI say it's not their responsibility to take them down.

It's awful that people like Ms Little Pengelly have power in NI. It's absolutely ****ing frightening that they're being used to prop up the tory government in Westminster.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40336803

So newly elected DUP MP Emma Little Pengelly doesn't think there's any need to remove UVF flags from a mixed community housing development in South East Belfast. Of course the fact that her father Noel Little served time in jail for paramilitary gun running and she failed to distance herself from backing received from Loyalist paramilitaries during her campaign are entirely irrelevant to her opinion on these flags and she'd feel exactly the same if it were IRA or INLA flags being displayed...

I've noticed a lot more UVF flags in Bangor this year, they're absolutely everywhere. It's interesting that the PSNI say it's not their responsibility to take them down.

It's awful that people like Ms Little Pengelly have power in NI. It's absolutely ****ing frightening that they're being used to prop up the tory government in Westminster.
    The thing that annoys me is the hypocrisy. Jeremy Corbyn was subjected to consistent accusations of being a friend of terrorists, but there's been no outcry so far in relation to Theresa May and her government. Why aren't we hearing the same moral outcry here, considering the history of some prominent DUP members, including MPs? Many of them have shared platform with Loyalist paramilitaries and refused to condemn their actions in the past. Corbyn was accused of refusing to condemn the IRA thirty years ago, yet we now have a situation where a party with a very murky past is actually enabling a government to survive. It's shameless hypocrisy from the right wing press.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    The thing that annoys me is the hypocrisy. Jeremy Corbyn was subjected to consistent accusations of being a friend of terrorists, but there's been no outcry so far in relation to Theresa May and her government. Why aren't we hearing the same moral outcry here, considering the history of some prominent DUP members, including MPs? Many of them have shared platform with Loyalist paramilitaries and refused to condemn their actions in the past. Corbyn was accused of refusing to condemn the IRA thirty years ago, yet we now have a situation where a party with a very murky past is actually enabling a government to survive. It's shameless hypocrisy from the right wing press.
    It's a question of removal to some extent. Corbyn was a step removed from violent republicanism in the same way that the DUP were a step removed from violent loyalism. The Tories are a further step away from the DUP.

And, to be fair there has been more disquiet over a Tory/DUP deal than I expected. Although I concede not anything like as much as there should be ...

The price of a parliamentary working majority: A £1billion sweetener for Ulster.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live