hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every party gets to send 1 leaflet out delivered for free by the Royal Mail. So it's unlikely your household never got any. Also Kezia does not control how local campaigns are run. She like all party leaders have control over the national campaign. But don't let the truth get in the way of your conspiracy stories
    The free bit... I can understand that when the PO was government owned but is it still the case now? Can't see private share holders being happy about that sort of expenditure :-/

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    The free bit... I can understand that when the PO was government owned but is it still the case now? Can't see private share holders being happy about that sort of expenditure :-/

It's still the case now, it's written in to the Representation of the People Act.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member

It's free to the political parties and is paid for by the government

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    It's still the case now, it's written in to the Representation of the People Act.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    It's free to the political parties and is paid for by the government

when i was at work i suddenly guessed it was probably something to do with the universal service provision that's incumbent on the post office.
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I don't know why but, there's something about the title of this thread really irks me.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I don't know why but, there's something about the title of this thread really irks me.
    The idea of Kezia having done at all well in this election is irk worthy I would say.

A direct response to seats being lost in the rural heartlands?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-40357585
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    A direct response to seats being lost in the rural heartlands?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-40357585
    SNP and tories teaming-up to roll-back legislation on animal rigjts.

Jeezo, at this rate the FM will be coming into the parliament in a tweed jacket with a freshly mauled fox over her shoulder...

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    SNP and tories teaming-up to roll-back legislation on animal rigjts.

Jeezo, at this rate the FM will be coming into the parliament in a tweed jacket with a freshly mauled fox over her shoulder...
    The SNP took a battering on social media yesterday. I have no idea what they were thinking!!
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    The SNP took a battering on social media yesterday. I have no idea what they were thinking!!
    I dont know anything about the rights and wrongs of tail docking. But it is very unusual for SNP members to defy the whip.

Seems a strange one from them i agree, but that is not to say it is right or wrong.

Im interested in what our SNP/Hibs.Net liaison officer had to say on the matter...?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    It's an odd decision I think.

My missus is a vet, I've just messaged her for her opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post

Im interested in what our SNP/Hibs.Net liaison officer had to say on the matter...?

Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It's an odd decision I think.

My missus is a vet, I've just messaged her for her opinion on it.
    I've heard people say it's better for working springer spaniels to be docked soon after birth as a tail injury as an adult can happen easily and be very serious for them. But as a quote from someone in the article points out it's impossible to know if a 5 day old pup is going to make it as a working dog. I'm interested to hear your wife's take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    I've heard people say it's better for working springer spaniels to be docked as a tail injury as an adult can be very serious but as a quote from someone in the article points out it's impossible to know if a 5 day old pup is going to make it as a working dog. I'm interested to hear your wife's take on it.
    Interested too

I also noticed right at the end of the article its not actually a full "dock", they remove the last third (dunno if that makes any difference).... I suppose the question is, how painful is it for the dogs involved compared to those that don't get the procedure and get injured later when it evidently is painful.

Gamer IDs

I've heard people say it's better for working springer spaniels to be docked soon after birth as a tail injury as an adult can happen easily and be very serious for them. But as a quote from someone in the article points out it's impossible to know if a 5 day old pup is going to make it as a working dog. I'm interested to hear your wife's take on it.
    Interested too

I also noticed right at the end of the article its not actually a full "dock", they remove the last third (dunno if that makes any difference).... I suppose the question is, how painful is it for the dogs involved compared to those that don't get the procedure and get injured later when it evidently is painful.
    She's working just now so I'll probably no hear back from her til lunch.

She works at the PDSA, so I don't think she'll ever have many/any cases of clients bringing in working dogs!

Gamer IDs

She's working just now so I'll probably no hear back from her til lunch.

She works at the PDSA, so I don't think she'll ever have many/any cases of clients bringing in working dogs!
    She said

Completely disagree - this opens up the door for backstreet breeders docking puppies tails, and how can breeders justify it as at 5 days old they don't know whether these puppies will be bought by people who want to work them anyway. It's a nonsense.

It's a strange one. I wonder who in the SNP hierarchy woke up one morning and thought lets chop dogs tails off. It must have been the after effects of a weekend long drug binge that made them come up with that one.

Or maybe it was the result of an evidence led investigation.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    She said

Completely disagree - this opens up the door for backstreet breeders docking puppies tails, and how can breeders justify it as at 5 days old they don't know whether these puppies will be bought by people who want to work them anyway. It's a nonsense.
    Totally agree with her. It's a nonsense to go back on this.

Who can tell which dogs will go on to become working dogs.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    When I was still using Facebook I was part of a group called Scottish springer spaniels and lots of people on there used to suggest that it was better to have their tails docked as dogs could get pretty nasty tail injuries. If I'm being honest I didn't think it was possible for a dog to break its tail.
    I wonder what % of dogs actually go on to be working dogs.
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    When I was still using Facebook I was part of a group called Scottish springer spaniels and lots of people on there used to suggest that it was better to have their tails docked as dogs could get pretty nasty tail injuries. If I'm being honest I didn't think it was possible for a dog to break its tail.
    I wonder what % of dogs actually go on to be working dogs.
    It'll vary from breeder to breeder I would think. Some kennels will breed with the intention of the pups becoming working dogs but of course there's no guarantee that they do.

I don't like to see dogs with docked tails personally but I suppose the working aspect of this means it's better not to judge it through the eyes of a pet owner?

It'll vary from breeder to breeder I would think. Some kennels will breed with the intention of the pups becoming working dogs but of course there's no guarantee that they do.

I don't like to see dogs with docked tails personally but I suppose the working aspect of this means it's better not to judge it through the eyes of a pet owner?
    If it's something that's done for a good reason then I don't have a problem with it, but if it's done purely for show then I don't agree with it.
    [SIGPIC]

If it's something that's done for a good reason then I don't have a problem with it, but if it's done purely for show then I don't agree with it.
    I'm not sure about breeds like dobermans etc who sometimes have it done but my understanding of why working spaniels have traditionally had it done is that it's for the welfare of dogs who spend hours each day running through undergrowth.

I could be wrong there but as far as I know the procedure should be carried out by a vet who agrees that it's in the interest of the dog. I'm sure it's a pretty controversial topic in vetinary circles; I suspect the majority these days agree with Eastys wife.

It's an interesting thing for the government to back track on. I wonder how much consultation was done with vets? Presumably the lobbying was done by the owners of working dogs.

I'm not sure about breeds like dobermans etc who sometimes have it done but my understanding of why working spaniels have traditionally had it done is that it's for the welfare of dogs who spend hours each day running through undergrowth.

I could be wrong there but as far as I know the procedure should be carried out by a vet who agrees that it's in the interest of the dog. I'm sure it's a pretty controversial topic in vetinary circles; I suspect the majority these days agree with Eastys wife.

It's an interesting thing for the government to back track on. I wonder how much consultation was done with vets? Presumably the lobbying was done by the owners of working dogs.
    I think Scotland was the only country to stop it as I believe it's still done down south. I would like to think that the government took advice from vets before making the decision. Owners of working animals don't always have the best interests of the animal as their main concern and breeders are often the same.
    [SIGPIC]

@hibs.net private member
    I'm not really clued up on this but it just seems cruel. Not sure why this has been brought back in. The SNP appear to have lost directon at the moment and siding with the Tories on what's being perceived as animal cruelty seems a poor political decision.

I think Scotland was the only country to stop it as I believe it's still done down south. I would like to think that the government took advice from vets before making the decision. Owners of working animals don't always have the best interests of the animal as their main concern and breeders are often the same.
    Good point mate.

She said

I doubt there are many backstreet breeders supplying working dogs. Just like breeding show dogs or greyhounds it will be a small market with most people known to each other. If the process and ownership is well documented I doubt there would be a widespread return to tail-less devil dogs roaming the streets.

As an aside, do PDSA still cut off adult dogs testicles free of charge?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post

As an aside, do PDSA still cut off adult dogs testicles free of charge?
    I'm not sure, I'll ask tonight.

The only things I know they don't cover are breeding costs (c-sections and the like) and you can only have 3 animals (with only one being a pedigree dog).

When I used to go out shooting all the dogs were docked and all of them came from known reputable breeders/trainers and cost about 300 a pup in the 1980's. I would doubt very much if there's a big market for back street hunting dogs.