10 years ago, when I was a 14 year old lad I would play in every golf competition that I could. On a Friday afternoon after school I would have the choice of whether to play the junior medal at Dundas or Linlithgow, and you could guarantee there would be at least 15 playing in each, often much more than this at Linlithgow. Linlithgow would have a dozen youngsters with single figure handicaps and the competition was quite good.

Nowadays, with my brother who is turning 14, it seems like the juniors of today are in hiding. He has the same choice of Dundas or Linlithgow, but there will be a maximum of 2 or 3 playing in each competition, and there's even been times when nobody else has turned up. Between the 2 courses I think there is only 1 player who is off a single handicap.

I thought this was just a coincidence, however he has his name in for a competition up in Nairn this weekend as my dad is away up there with him. And having just checked who he will be playing with, he's the only one with his name in for it!

Where are the young golfers of today? There is no doubt there is some brilliant young golfers about, but it seems there is a lot less kids getting involved in competitive golf at a club level. I wondered whether he was just unlucky in his clubs or whether this is seen elsewhere. How are the junior sections looking at everyone else courses out of interest?