hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Uber

Just to drag this up again.

Was at the Braehead last night. Taxi out there was just over 14 whilst Uber quoted between 8 and 10. For the return leg the taxi we got was still 14 or thereabouts, Uber quoted between 35 and 50 due to high demand.

That's why I like black cabs, the service and pricing is consistent.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Interesting read.

I need to use taxis a lot just now for work and generally use black cabs instead of private hire. Airport runs mostly.

Question is, which one should I use? I want an app to book them instead of phoning. Any suggestions?

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting read.

I need to use taxis a lot just now for work and generally use black cabs instead of private hire.

Question is, which one should I use? I want an app to book them instead of phoning. Any suggestions?
    Both City and Central have their own apps which work just like Uber.

A lot of people use the Gett app for black cabs as it is available in a lot of places in the UK which makes them more practical.

Central now have a relationship with Gett which means Gett has access to the Central drivers giving them a larger presence in this city.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post

A lot of people use the Gett app for black cabs as it is available in a lot of places in the UK which makes them more practical.

Central now have a relationship with Gett which means Gett has access to the Central drivers giving them a larger presence in this city.
    Just got Gett. Thanks.

@hibs.net private member

Does Central prioritise its own direct business (say via a call or their own app) first over that available via Gett?

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Does Central prioritise its own direct business (say via a call or their own app) first over that available via Gett?
    I think they do.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    One for the taxi drivers: When allocated a job via Gett, do you turn your light off or are you still available for on-street pick-ups before you reach the Gett customer?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    One for the taxi drivers: When allocated a job via Gett, do you turn your light off or are you still available for on-street pick-ups before you reach the Gett customer?
    You turn your light off and head straight to pick up the passenger. Occasionally I forget and I'll see someone stick their hand out, but I certainly wouldn't stop.
    I've read a few people post about taxis driving past with their lights on, often this is the reason. Sometimes you just forget to put it off.
    [SIGPIC]

I used to use Hailo but that seems to have been taken over by myTaxi. Don't know gett.

It's all a bit confusing. I wonder who is behind these companies.

@hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Had my first bad experience with Uber today. I ordered one to take me home, was not a huge journey maybe a few miles but I needed to meet the wife and kids quickly and the bus was 20 mins away. So I ordered the car and the app said it was 8 mins away, I tracked the car all the way to where I was and got the app notifcation saying he was just arriving. A few seconds later I get a message saying the driver has cancelled and I needed to order a new car, which was another 10 minute wait.

I do like Uber but if that becomes a regular occurence I can quickly see me going off it. Very annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    Had my first bad experience with Uber today. I ordered one to take me home, was not a huge journey maybe a few miles but I needed to meet the wife and kids quickly and the bus was 20 mins away. So I ordered the car and the app said it was 8 mins away, I tracked the car all the way to where I was and got the app notifcation saying he was just arriving. A few seconds later I get a message saying the driver has cancelled and I needed to order a new car, which was another 10 minute wait.

I do like Uber but if that becomes a regular occurence I can quickly see me going off it. Very annoying!

Same happened to a group of us in London in December, watched the app showing the driver going round in circles, looked like they couldn't find the entrance to the hotel, so cancelled the job.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Same happened to a group of us in London in December, watched the app showing the driver going round in circles, looked like they couldn't find the entrance to the hotel, so cancelled the job.
    Do you get charged if they cancel the job? I picked a group of students up recently and I heard them complaining that their uber hadn't shown up, but they were being charged the fare. I got the impression that they might have been accusing the driver of saying he had been at there house and they hadn't came out. Either way they were being charged for the ride they didn't get.
    [SIGPIC]

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Do you get charged if they cancel the job? I picked a group of students up recently and I heard them complaining that their uber hadn't shown up, but they were being charged the fare. I got the impression that they might have been accusing the driver of saying he had been at there house and they hadn't came out. Either way they were being charged for the ride they didn't get.
    I had a driver phone me asking me to cancel because he was too far away, I did and was charged a cancellation fee.

I appealed it and got the credit back but still naughty.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I had a driver phone me asking me to cancel because he was too far away, I did and was charged a cancellation fee.

I appealed it and got the credit back but still naughty.
    Maybe it was a cancellation fee they were charged then.
    [SIGPIC]

I never got charged and I believe if the driver cancels there should be no charge. The fare estimate was 3-4 so I am pretty sure he got a better offer and cancelled.

I'm not sure tbh mate, it wasn't me who had booked it.

i can say, in a side note, the previous evening we'd booked an uber to get to the 'do' we were down for, which meant travelling in rush hour traffic. The quote was something like 12-14 for the 5 and a half mile trip, but it took about 50 minutes due to sheer congestion. After the first 15 minutes or so, the driver started taking all sorts of risks, and driving agressively and at points maniacally, which I put down to the fact that the longer he was with us, the more jobs he was missing out on, and wasn't going to be getting anything more than the quoted price.

The return trip to the hotel, in much quieter road conditions, was very good though, different car and driver (still uber), much more relaxed and chatty.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I'm not sure tbh mate, it wasn't me who had booked it.

i can say, in a side note, the previous evening we'd booked an uber to get to the 'do' we were down for, which meant travelling in rush hour traffic. The quote was something like 12-14 for the 5 and a half mile trip, but it took about 50 minutes due to sheer congestion. After the first 15 minutes or so, the driver started taking all sorts of risks, and driving agressively and at points maniacally, which I put down to the fact that the longer he was with us, the more jobs he was missing out on, and wasn't going to be getting anything more than the quoted price.

The return trip to the hotel, in much quieter road conditions, was very good though, different car and driver (still uber), much more relaxed and chatty.
    I've done a few fixed fare jobs over the years and I found it extremely frustrating when the traffic was busy. During the tram works it was ridiculous. Jobs that would normally take 5 minutes were taking 30 mins and I was still paid the same amount. Thankfully in my position those jobs were few and far between.
    [SIGPIC]

I never got charged and I believe if the driver cancels there should be no charge. The fare estimate was 3-4 so I am pretty sure he got a better offer and cancelled.
    I didn't think they were allowed to do that. When I worked with city cabs we certainly weren't allowed to do that.
    [SIGPIC]

I didn't think they were allowed to do that. When I worked with city cabs we certainly weren't allowed to do that.
    Drivers phoning passengers to tell them they are cancelling their job because they are too far away? WTF is that all about?

As for the cancellation charge, I believe if the driver is there for something like 5 minutes, he can cancel the job if the passenger doesn't show up. If it's a rubbish job that's less than a fiver then a cancellation is better for them so they either hide from view then cancel or drive about then cancel, hoping the passenger either accepts it or doesn't complain.

I never knew that any refunds were in the form of Uber credits. That's erm, good of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Drivers phoning passengers to tell them they are cancelling their job because they are too far away? WTF is that all about?

As for the cancellation charge, I believe if the driver is there for something like 5 minutes, he can cancel the job if the passenger doesn't show up. If it's a rubbish job that's less than a fiver then a cancellation is better for them so they either hide from view then cancel or drive about then cancel, hoping the passenger either accepts it or doesn't complain.

I never knew that any refunds were in the form of Uber credits. That's erm, good of them.
    I'd tell them what to do with their credits.
    [SIGPIC]

Do Uber drivers get to charge waiting time? I used to get some very irate passengers when their fiver journey cost them a lot more because they took ages to come out after they knew I was there.

I complained to Uber and got told action would be taken, whatever that means. Gave the guy 1 star feedback as well.

I complained to Uber and got told action would be taken, whatever that means. Gave the guy 1 star feedback as well.
    I don't think he would've had a better offer, as once he's been sent a job he wouldn't be sent another until the original job was completed. It seems more likely that he's just not fancied doing it.
    [SIGPIC]

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    I don't think he would've had a better offer, as once he's been sent a job he wouldn't be sent another until the original job was completed. It seems more likely that he's just not fancied doing it.
    Or he's picked up on the street.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Aye well there's always that possibility
    [SIGPIC]

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    How can an Uber pick up on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    How can an Uber pick up on the street?
    By turning up outside a bar on Saturday night and agreeing to take one of the many people looking to get home. They have private hire plates on their vehicles and most people will realise that they can jump in and be taken home. They just agree a price and they'll take you. You see it all the time at the train station when it's busy.
    [SIGPIC]