hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Uber

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seconded my friend
    Competition for the consumer is surely more healthy?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Only if that competition is playing by the same rules.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

Thirded. Once their hierarchy isn't a bunch of sexist pigs and they accord their FTE the right benefits and protections that that status should get then they can come back.

Also enjoyed the outcry from my perfectly well to do London mates wailing about the removal of Uber like someone had just disconnected their leccy, gas and mains water.

If only there was some other high density, mass transit network(s) in London. Can't think of any alternatives to Uber tbh.......

Only if that competition is playing by the same rules.
    Ryanair doesn't play by the same rules as British Airways.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

Next? Deliveroo!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    And they're paying for it now.

They have to adhere to industry standards and rules though.

They have to adhere to industry standards and rules though.
    Bare minimum effort. They’re abusing people with limited incomes.

Different countries different rules within the overall aviation rules.

It's also a different business model.
    Space to let

Anything that undercuts the disgraceful black cabs is OK. What a ridiculous price!
    And you're expected to tip the surly b******* too!

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Do any of our taxi ITK folk know why there is a 5% charge to use card?

I've only ever experienced a card charge at very small shops that I can remember.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Do any of our taxi ITK folk know why there is a 5% charge to use card?

I've only ever experienced a card charge at very small shops that I can remember.
    To take card payments you need to have a merchant bank account or rent/buy a card machine. It's not possible for a sole trader like a taxi driver to get a merchant bank account, so we have to get a card machine from one of the online companies. PayPal and izettlle do the small card readers and other companies do chip and pin machines. It's these companies that take the 5%, not the taxi driver.

I believe the law is changing next year, and charging people to use their card is to be abolished.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    To take card payments you need to have a merchant bank account or rent/buy a card machine. It's not possible for a sole trader like a taxi driver to get a merchant bank account, so we have to get a card machine from one of the online companies. PayPal and izettlle do the small card readers and other companies do chip and pin machines. It's these companies that take the 5%, not the taxi driver.

I believe the law is changing next year, and charging people to use their card is to be abolished.
    thanks!
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Not when it relies on exploitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Not when it relies on exploitation.
    What a bunch of free enterprise, consumerist Thatcher's children we've all become.

When it comes to workers rights, as long as we've got our own...

Testimonial Due
    Quite surprised at this, but pleasantly so.

I know market disruption and innovation are good generally, but too many of these tech firms seem to be inhibating grey areas between laws and regulations and exploiting that position which shouldnt be allowed.

Well dont sadiq khan and TFL for standing up to them.

This seems to be as much about the failure of government and regulatory bodies - at various levels - to adapt to the digital age as it does anything else.

Google, Amazon and Uber have a lot in common. Spawned with disruptive technology, creating new marketplaces rather than invading or transforming existing ones and largely effectively unregulated.

I'm in favour of proper regulation for the consumer and against ripping the pi5h to rig markets for vested interests whether that interest is Uber black cabs or any other kind of operator. What a fu**ing centrist eh?

@hibs.net proletariat member Pete's Avatar
    I see the PR machine is in full flow, helped by our impartial friends at the BBC. "How safe will women be" they ask in an article where several millennials are moaning about how they'll be stranded at night. Maybe they should just do what everyone else did before Uber came along...pay for a mode of transport that doesn't rely on exploitation or subsidies from hedge funds.

I see their cuddly new CEO has been all apologetic (while basically threatening TFL with court) and is begging for talks. He'll probably get them and I wonder if money will indeed talk.

I can't help feel that this is all a red herring though as the more important case, regarding driver status, will be seen this week. If Uber lose that then the PR battle won't be as easy for them as it is this time.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    I hope they take the decision on the chin, pack up and head back to the US of A. Please leave Brtain to our good old honest cabbies. I tell you, they'll think twice about messing with our Princes in Black Armour again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I see the PR machine is in full flow, helped by our impartial friends at the BBC. "How safe will women be" they ask in an article where several millennials are moaning about how they'll be stranded at night. Maybe they should just do what everyone else did before Uber came along...pay for a mode of transport that doesn't rely on exploitation or subsidies from hedge funds.

I see their cuddly new CEO has been all apologetic (while basically threatening TFL with court) and is begging for talks. He'll probably get them and I wonder if money will indeed talk.

I can't help feel that this is all a red herring though as the more important case, regarding driver status, will be seen this week. If Uber lose that then the PR battle won't be as easy for them as it is this time.
    The nonsense that's been spouted since this was announced has been unbelievable. Their license has been refused due to the way they operate, this includes public safety issues. I agree 100% about this being a bit of a red herring, the general consensus is that Uber will be successful in their appeal.
    The other court case is the one that will have far more wide reaching consequences for Uber and many other companies that operate a similar style of business.
    On a personal note, I don't really care if Uber are banned from operating as someone else will come in and fill the void. Hopefully either Uber will start playing by the rules, or their replacement will. They've been around for long enough now, and it's had zero effect on me or any other taxi drivers I know.
    Its the private hire guys who are suffering from this.

@hibs.net proletariat member Pete's Avatar
    The nonsense that's been spouted since this was announced has been unbelievable. Their license has been refused due to the way they operate, this includes public safety issues. I agree 100% about this being a bit of a red herring, the general consensus is that Uber will be successful in their appeal.
    The other court case is the one that will have far more wide reaching consequences for Uber and many other companies that operate a similar style of business.
    On a personal note, I don't really care if Uber are banned from operating as someone else will come in and fill the void. Hopefully either Uber will start playing by the rules, or their replacement will. They've been around for long enough now, and it's had zero effect on me or any other taxi drivers I know.
    Its the private hire guys who are suffering from this.
    There could be big changes in the private hire car business...I see drivers for Addison Lee have won their case to be classed as workers instead of self employed. It weakens Ubers argument that their drivers should remain "self employed" as they're no different to any other minicab firm.

A solution would be minicabs with drivers who are treated as workers alongside a black cab trade who really are self employed. Their drivers would have the security that things like an hourly rate brings, while the firms wouldn't be able to undercut so aggressively.

They could even work with local authorities, in the way bus companies do, to create an efficient transport system. However, I can't see Uber buying into that as they are about brutal capitalism and profit, not transport.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    glad i've never used them....and now i never will even if ransom was paid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42075306

Uber concealed a hack that affected 57 million customers and drivers, the company has confirmed.

The 2016 breach was hidden by the ride-sharing firm which paid hackers $100,000 (£75,000) to delete the data.