hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You'll need an esta form completed and printed.
    Whilst it maybe handy to print out in case something goes awry, you generally don't need to print it. Apply for it and check online that the authorization is approved.
    Been to the US 4 times over the last 4 years, never been asked for it yet.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Whilst it maybe handy to print out in case something goes awry, you generally don't need to print it. Apply for it and check online that the authorization is approved.
    Been to the US 4 times over the last 4 years, never been asked for it yet.
    I was asked for it in Oct 2015 in San Francisco, although when I went to take it out of my bag the lady said, 'No, it's ok, just wanted to make sure you had one'.

Hardly 'making sure', but she did ask.

Print it and stick in your bag just in case.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post

Print it and stick in your bag just in case.
    For the sake of an A4 sheet of paper, I can't disagree, but the US Dept of Homeland Security says you don't need to print it,,,
    "DO I NEED TO BRING A PRINTOUT OR DIGITAL COPY OF MY TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION TO THE AIRPORT?
    No. DHS will be able to communicate a traveler's ESTA status to the carriers. However, DHS recommends that travelers print out the travel authorization application response in order to maintain a record of their traveler authorization application number and to have confirmation of their ESTA status.

U.S. regulation does NOT require a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) traveler to present a printed copy of the ESTA authorization page in order to travel. However, it is recommended that you print a copy for your records. If you applied for ESTA and you have forgotten your application number, you may retrieve the application through the ESTA website by entering the applicants name, date of birth, passport number and passport issuing country."

For the OP, if you do need an ESTA, make sure you do it through the official site (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/|), there are unscrupulous websites out there that look official but act as 3rd party handlers and charge a hefty sum for the privilege. As mentioned above the fee is $14.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    No need to print or carry with you an ESTA

People were being asked to show the ESTA last time I flew in London so better safe than sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    People were being asked to show the ESTA last time I flew in London so better safe than sorry!

i always assumed it was linked to your passport? so if you have your esta with the passport you have then all the person would need to do it run your passport onto there system and see weather you did or did not have the esta.

but i agree its better safe than sorry.Maybe take a note of the esta number ?

I have never printed one out in the four times I have been to the us. Forget new York though so many better places 😁
    Cougars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    I have never printed one out in the four times I have been to the us. Forget new York though so many better places 😁
    New Jersey for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Will do. I paid the same as you as well.
    Flights were fine. Plane's are brand new but is essentially a standard plane you'd fly Ryanair or EasyJet to Europe with (maybe slightly longer and wider but still just has the 3 seats - aisle - 3 seats configuration). Legroom on the 'standard' seats are 31" which i believe is the same as BA, KLM and the other 'big' airlines. Flight going out was full. I got one free beer with my meal and that was your lot. The rest you had to buy which was $4.50 a can of lager, they only accept credit card and no cash so worth bearing that in mind. No wifi on the outgoing journey. The return flight was maybe less than two thirds full and had wifi which allowed you to stream spotify, netflix etc on your tablet. Managed to get 4 free beers coming home but they did charge for a fifth. For under £300 i'd defo fly norwegian again, especially if i got the extra legroom seats. If it was costing more than that i'd probably pay the extra for the comfort of a larger aircraft, complimentary refreshments etc. Being over 6ft i'd struggle for that length of time in one of those standard seats.

Stewart International Airport is tiny. Think it was 7 gates so you get a feel of the size. Good point is we were the only flight in the airport when we landed so clearing customs was a breeze. By the time we landed to the time i cleared customs it was about 40 minutes with bulk of that waiting on the suitcases coming round. Finger printers taken, few questions about how long you're staying and how much cash you've got and on your way... Apply for the ESTA online and then fill in the green card which they hand out on the plane, no issues with immigration. Bad points about the airport is that its a long 3 hours wait. There is one tiny shop slash cafe that sells pints and thats it. It has about 4-5 tables which are quickly taken and your food options are limited to a microwaved burger and microchips! There's also no taxi rank or anything like that outside (Thankfully a few Uber cars were around that took us to our local hotel). The buses to Manhattan were waiting outside for the passengers using them. They state they will wait if the flight is delayed or issues with customs etc so no problem there. We got one for the return journey - $20 each way per person. Wifi and phone chargers on board - took about 1.5hrs from Port Authority.

Other than that what a place New York was. Frantic and high paced but fantastic and loved every minute. Would defo go back.

Hope this makes sense. My heads still pickled from the jetlag.
    Last edited by green&left; 11-10-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    No need to print or carry with you an ESTA
    Unless something goes wrong and they can't find you on their system. Just as well i had printed ours before going to US. Maybe i just got a dozy cow at check in but she said without printed proof of valid esta my son wouldn't have been able to fly. This was at flight check in not immigration.

Netflights have some cracking deals to New York and to America in general. Not sure how they manage it but you can save over £100 on some flights compared to booking direct with AA or Delta. If there's 3 or 4 of you travelling, its some saving.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Netflights have some cracking deals to New York and to America in general. Not sure how they manage it but you can save over £100 on some flights compared to booking direct with AA or Delta. If there's 3 or 4 of you travelling, its some saving.
    Cheers mate, I need to book my return flight in January, I'll check it out.