hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flying to New York.

Hi guys, who's the best airline to fly direct to New York from Edinburgh with these days? Had planned on booking with Delta but been told they don't have IFE (In-flight entertainment systems) on this route. Anyone flew with Delta, is this true?

Thanks.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've flown delta to NYC but from London only. Had IFE though. Surprised if they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've flown delta to NYC but from London only. Had IFE though. Surprised if they don't.
    Do you usually fly via London? and if not, who do you fly with (know you've made the journey few times).

@hibs.net private member
    I flew American Airlines direct EDI to JFK last year, they were a BA partner airline. Flight was basic, ok, but no IFE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    I flew American Airlines direct EDI to JFK last year, they were a BA partner airline. Flight was basic, ok, but no IFE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's how we've done it the last 2 years, like you say very basic!

hi

as others have said american airlines fly to jfk as do delta, sadly My brother and I have not tried these 2 airlines.

we have used united airlines both times, in 2015 our flight was canclled and we had to go down to london and get a flight from there to newark.
    we did this last year also,, the flight was fine (though we were going onto vegas at the times so we were in the airport for a while)

united airlines fly direct from edinburgh to newark and leave at 9 25am. If it helps they twice a day to newark, as i said 1 at 9 25am and i think the other at 11 30am!
    On the return leg you can get a flight at i think 8 05pm and 10pm ( new york time) which get you into edinburgh at around 7am and 8.45am (not 100% about this time) the next day (uk time) e.g you leave new york on the 8 05pm say on monday you ll arrive back in edinburgh on tuesday at around 7am (due to the time differece)

united did have in flight entertainment, though i dont remeber too much what they had on offer sorry. You could always take an ipad (i think thats what there called) where you can have movies- tv shows you like on it which may be a better option?

i think all the flights are in and around 6 and a half hours each

new york is an amazing place ! is it your first time?
    any questions or anything feel free to let me know (im sure others would like to help too )
    kind regards

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Aer Lingus. Edinburgh - Shannon -JFK for us last year, pre immigration clearance at Shannon perfect and IFE. Return flight was through Dublin.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 07-06-2017 at 07:18 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Anyone flew Edinburgh-new York with Norwegian Air?

I'm doing it in November.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Anyone flew Edinburgh-new York with Norwegian Air?

I'm doing it in November.
    Nobody will have. The route doesn't start until next week. It will be interesting to hear how you get on with it. The price is a game changer but I would be concerned with getting into NYC from the airport they are using. There isn't any direct public transport from the airport to the City, although I believe there is a train station not too far away that you can get a cab to but I think it's still a bit of a journey.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I flew Manchester to NYC last July; no idea why though - must have been cheaper

It was good though! IFE, decent plane and no issues (other than having our seats moved and not getting the seats we'd booked in advance for which seemed a bit off).
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Nobody will have. The route doesn't start until next week. It will be interesting to hear how you get on with it. The price is a game changer but I would be concerned with getting into NYC from the airport they are using. There isn't any direct public transport from the airport to the City, although I believe there is a train station not too far away that you can get a cab to but I think it's still a bit of a journey.
    I'd be very surprised if a company does not start running a coach service into NYC. With the amount of people arriving in of need transport they would be daft not too.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Do you usually fly via London? and if not, who do you fly with (know you've made the journey few times).
    I have used Delta (having booked KLM as they are part of the same group). Recently I've used United to Newark and they've been decent. All from London.

Both have had IFE, decent price too.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    I'd be very surprised if a company does not start running a coach service into NYC. With the amount of people arriving in of need transport they would be daft not too.
    Which airport are they flying to?

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Are lingus going through Dublin was superb, completely faultless for me and clearing immigration through Dublin airport was a god send as I don't deal with queues very well and I've heard clearing immigration on the American side is torture.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Are lingus going through Dublin was superb, completely faultless for me and clearing immigration through Dublin airport was a god send as I don't deal with queues very well and I've heard clearing immigration on the American side is torture.
    hi
    if you dont mind my asking-being nosey but did you find a half decent price for those flights? if so where did you find it?
    i had a little look at doing edi-dub-new york and return and it seemed over £90 pp more exspenive.
    I must say i hated the queues at immigration- it always seemed you wait in the queue for ages and get to the officer and get through within minutes

Haymaker- i think the airport with norwegian air is newburgh stewart airport which i think is about 90mins away from manhattan
    Last edited by bobbyhibs1983; 07-06-2017 at 09:39 PM.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Which airport are they flying to?
    Newburgh Stewart. It's about an hour and a half away from Manhattan in good traffic apparently. I now see a shuttle bus is about to start up.

I think these Norwegian flights are the first international flights at this airport.

Newburgh Stewart. It's about an hour and a half away from Manhattan in good traffic apparently. I now see a shuttle bus is about to start up.

I think these Norwegian flights are the first international flights at this airport.
    90 mins would be generous! Traffic into NYC is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    It depends where you enter, NY is insane. My brother entered via Miami and it was a breeze apparently. My best mate just flew into Seattle and nothing. We're all on working visas too but NYC is crazy for tourists or workers. Even US citizens!

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    It depends where you enter, NY is insane. My brother entered via Miami and it was a breeze apparently. My best mate just flew into Seattle and nothing. We're all on working visas too but NYC is crazy for tourists or workers. Even US citizens!
    Didn't find NY too bad although the first time we were there the whole system crashed and we had to wait 40 minutes!

Any other time we've sailed through pretty quickly. Probably just lucky

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Didn't find NY too bad although the first time we were there the whole system crashed and we had to wait 40 minutes!

Any other time we've sailed through pretty quickly. Probably just lucky
    Must have been, I'm usually queuing for like 90 minutes each time. Once at the counter I'm through easy but the wait is always a nightmare for me! Maybe I arrive at the wrong time each time!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    hi
    if you dont mind my asking-being nosey but did you find a half decent price for those flights? if so where did you find it?
    i had a little look at doing edi-dub-new york and return and it seemed over £90 pp more exspenive.
    I must say i hated the queues at immigration- it always seemed you wait in the queue for ages and get to the officer and get through within minutes

Haymaker- i think the airport with norwegian air is newburgh stewart airport which i think is about 90mins away from manhattan
    I'm afraid I don't know. I won it through a work incentive so the details I got were sketchy.

Fwiw I don't know how much you're budget it is but if it's potentially saving a couple of hours queuing or even to get better travel times I'd consider paying the extra £90 each. You'll find out over there that in the bigger scheme of things £90 each in relation to your trip probably isn't that much. I loved the place but it was very very expensive and an extra £90 won't make much of a difference to your budget.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    hi

I flew the first morning Ryanair flight into Dublin then Delta/KLM/BA to JFK. Saved about £100 on the Aer Lingus flight and was not as rushed between transferring flights.

hi
    thanks for the ingo bingo- i do like to try save money where i can so £90 pp is a lot of money , even going to new york, every penny( or buck) helps

CapitalGreen- thanks for the info,will try look into flights again

A deal was announced a month or two back with a coach company. $20 each way and claiming an hour and a half. You can also taxi to Newburgh and train there around the same time.

I'm flying in September with Norwegian Air, got it £270 return that includes a hot meal with refreshment, a cold meal, suitcase, hand luggage and reserved seat. It appears to be just a 'standard' plane, ie not one of these jumbo jet things but think i'll book myself in the airport lounge for a couple of hours for a few pints and nips, should make the journey that little easier The cheapest price elsewhere in the week we're going was over £500 with Aer Lingus that included an hour flight to Dublin then a 2hr stopover before flying to JFK.

For the poster flying in November remind me in October when i'm back and i'll let you know how it goes.
    Last edited by green&left; 09-06-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    A deal was announced a month or two back with a coach company. $20 each way and claiming an hour and a half. You can also taxi to Newburgh and train there around the same time.

I'm flying in September with Norwegian Air, got it £270 return that includes a hot meal with refreshment, a cold meal, suitcase, hand luggage and reserved seat. It appears to be just a 'standard' plane, ie not one of these jumbo jet things but think i'll book myself in the airport lounge for a couple of hours for a few pints and nips, should make the journey that little easier The cheapest price elsewhere in the week we're going was over £500 with Aer Lingus that included an hour flight to Dublin then a 2hr stopover before flying to JFK.

For the poster flying in November remind me in October when i'm back and i'll let you know how it goes.
    Will do. I paid the same as you as well.

Follow on question

Been years since I've been to America and pretty sure last time we just filled in our green card on the plane. Know things have changed since then so, what exactly do we need to do now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Will do. I paid the same as you as well.
    I checked Norwegian and their prices are actually dearer than Deltas for our dates lol.

Been years since I've been to America and pretty sure last time we just filled in our green card on the plane. Know things have changed since then so, what exactly do we need to do now lol.
    hi

have you got your esta? you need to renew this for the usa every 2 years and if i recall it costs something like £14 or there abouts per person,
    I dunno if it was called a green called but when we have been to the usa in the last few years we have filled in a document- i always assumed it was a costums thing( could be the same thing you are talking bout mind you)
    travel insurance also?

hope this helps

You'll need an esta form completed and printed.

You'll need an esta form completed and printed.
    Is that it?

So its just a case of printing off boarding pass, hotel confirmation and completed esta? Don't need to do anything else?