hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Whittaker

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whittaker has always spoken about potentially ending his career at Hibs and I've posted this on here a number of times over the years. Source? Steven himself.

However, we'll let the jambos cheer themselves up by convincing themselves it must be to do with money and not simply the fact that Hibs got under his skin and he fell in love with the club. Oh and is sensible enough to realise how much of a shambles they are
    Sorry to be a bit pedantic, but I'm uncomfortable with players using the term 'ending my career at a club'. It comes across as patronising and seems to say 'when I'm not good enough to play for a 'better' club I'll pick up a pay cheque on the strength of my reputation and experiences with a former club. I'd prefer them to say that they would like to return to a club they like, because they have something to offer beyond nostalgia and convenience. Don't get me wrong, I've no problems with Whittaker coming back at this point in his career and I think he would be a great signing but let's not regard it as a swan song on his part.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Sorry to be a bit pedantic, but I'm uncomfortable with players using the term 'ending my career at a club'. It comes across as patronising and seems to say 'when I'm not good enough to play for a 'better' club I'll pick up a pay cheque on the strength of my reputation and experiences with a former club. I'd prefer them to say that they would like to return to a club they like, because they have something to offer beyond nostalgia and convenience. Don't get me wrong, I've no problems with Whittaker coming back at this point in his career and I think he would be a great signing but let's not regard it as a swan song on his part.
    I agree to an extent but he's never said anything like that publicly, unlike-for example-Scott Brown who's said it a few times now. You could argue that's maybe a bit patronising. It's up to Hibs to decide if the player in question is still up to a job or looking to pick up a pay cheque. In this case, Whittie is more than capable of still doing an excellent job so it's not patronising to want to come back, imo.
    Reckon he could easily pick up a club down south that would continue to pay him 3 or 4 times what we will be offering as well so he's still good enough to play for a 'better' club or at least a richer one.

Left by mutual consent!
    Does anyone what team Whittaker supported as a youngster ?. Seen a Muppet on 'Throwback' claiming he was a Jambo but they also claim to have their own training-facilities !

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Does anyone what team Whittaker supported as a youngster ?. Seen a Muppet on 'Throwback' claiming he was a Jambo but they also claim to have their own training-facilities !

I believe he was a Jambo.

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    I believe he was a Jambo.
    He was

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    but he's alright now

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    I agree to an extent but he's never said anything like that publicly, unlike-for example-Scott Brown who's said it a few times now. You could argue that's maybe a bit patronising. It's up to Hibs to decide if the player in question is still up to a job or looking to pick up a pay cheque. In this case, Whittie is more than capable of still doing an excellent job so it's not patronising to want to come back, imo.
    Reckon he could easily pick up a club down south that would continue to pay him 3 or 4 times what we will be offering as well so he's still good enough to play for a 'better' club or at least a richer one.
    Scott Brown said pre cup final when interviewed very publicly (I.e. On national telly) by Michael Stewart, that he wanted to end his career at Celtic.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    A bit like splitting up with a girl for a better one and saying I'll come back to you if she dumps me when I get old.

or for the ladies ....
    A bit like splitting up with a guy for a better one and saying I'll come back to you if he dumps me when I get old.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    I read on yackback that Jason Cummings was a jambo, but they let him go rather than pay for his treatment when he was injured, now he loves the green and doesn't half enjoy a goal against the poppy thieves.

For yams looking in, the training facility situation is a matter of public record, they pay (hopefully this time around they remember to pay and HWU remember to pursue unpaid debts) to share a publicly funded facility with everyone else that wants to use it and they don't have first choice of when to use it.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Scott Brown said pre cup final when interviewed very publicly (I.e. On national telly) by Michael Stewart, that he wanted to end his career at Celtic.
    But he also said he wanted to finish his days at Hibs in another tv interview about a year ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    A bit like splitting up with a girl for a better one and saying I'll come back to you if she dumps me when I get old.

or for the ladies ....
    A bit like splitting up with a guy for a better one and saying I'll come back to you if he dumps me when I get old.
    To be completely PC, you have to add to your analogies that other sexual orientations are available.

To be completely PC, you have to add to your analogies that other sexual orientations are available.
    And don't forget gender neutrality 👍

@hibs.net private member
    If we can get Whittaker, Ambrose and Marciano all signed up we'll have the best defence I can remember.

Another wide player and a couple forwards and I'll be delighted

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post

He did indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    If we can get Whittaker, Ambrose and Marciano all signed up we'll have the best defence I can remember.

Another wide player and a couple forwards and I'll be delighted
    I'd fancy us for 3rd if we sign them and add a couple more. If Rangers keep spending money they don't have 2nd will be unlikely

I was behind Whittaker in Starbucks in the Gyle today.
    Not sure if that means he is signing for Hearts, Hibs or if he just wanted a coffee.
    Thought you should know.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    But he also said he wanted to finish his days at Hibs in another tv interview about a year ago.
    So basically the lesson is that Scott Brown spouts pish depending on what way the wind is blowing?

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Not sure if that means he is signing for Hearts, Hibs or if he just wanted a coffee.
    Thought you should know.
    Starbucks is green and white. Costa coffee is a horrible red close to a maroon colour so he's clearly signing for the cabbage

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    So basically the lesson is that Scott Brown spouts pish depending on what way the wind is blowing?
    IMO I think he thought his career was on the wind down with Delia, he wasn't playing well enough to maintain a future at Celtic so he probably started to let his mind wander to what was going to be next and staying in Scotland probably would have meant hibs would be the next best thing for him.

He's had a second wind under Rodgers though so imo he's just changed his mind and thinks he can stay with them until the end of his career.

Obviously guess work but I don't think it's anything sinister from Brown.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Starbucks is green and white. Costa coffee is a horrible red close to a maroon colour so he's clearly signing for the cabbage

Sound thinking.

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar
    Thought you should know.
    Hahahaha 😂

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RMQ1967 View Post
    Hahahaha 😂
    Eh, starstruck in Starbucks?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Thought you should know.
    What's his Starbucks name?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    What's his Starbucks name?
    Apparently it all kicked off after he demanded “Sir David Gray” was written on his cup. A jambo unleashed a devastating 5-1 at him as John Collins was doing doing sit ups In the corner.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    I can change my mind about a hundred things in an hour never mind a year.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt N Sauzee View Post
    Hmmmmm, that throws a spanner in the works!

Quote Originally Posted by Salt N Sauzee View Post
    Also says the Yams are still interested :/

I've heard he has offers from down south which he is considering too but if he signs for a Scottish team it will be us. I think he's away or going on holiday soon then will decide

Coaching Staff
    I still think it will be more likely that he will stay down South for another couple pf years.