hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Lions.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    The all blacks have just named a super strong team for Saturday.....this will be a long night for the lions. I can see a dead rubber next week when the AB's send the lions home with their tails between their legs.
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Interesting selection for Saturday. Captain out of the squad altogether and arguably the best player dropped to the bench.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    How Seymour can't even make the subs is a joke.

Gatland as made a pigs ear of this series.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How Seymour can't even make the subs is a joke.

Gatland as made a pigs ear of this series.
    Agree.....no scots in the team, joke...Gatland can GTF
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Agree.....no scots in the team, joke...Gatland can GTF
    Even more amazing is 7 Welshmen in the 23 and 5 out of the starting 15. Gatlands selection of the squad and teams has been dreadful. ABs will do what they did in the last 15 of first test and attack 12/13 channel and Farrell is not up to that. He is giving away 3 stones in weight to his opposite number, who isn't just big but a ****ing great player. Series will be over tomorrow. AW Jones was knackered after 20 mins last week and should have been dropped. Faletau was never in the game last week either in carrying ball or at the breakdown. Seriously cannot understand some of his picks. Anyway it will be beer o'clock very early again tomorrow and an early bed again. At least with no Scots in the team they can't be blamed for the inevitable defeat

Gamer IDs

I'm not sure how much credence we give to world rankings but ranked 4 must count for something.

I know the accusation has been Scottish players don't play well away from Murrayfield but surely the fact we beat Wales and Ireland would have told Gatland how those players were doing.

Anyway I expect an even bigger loss tomorrow I'm afraid.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

The Lions Tour - sorry doesn't exist. It's up there with shinty and cricket for me.

I really hope that the Scottish players start next season fighting. It's up to them to prove Gatland was wrong.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    We're off. It's do or die time.

red card for NZ, shocking challenge by SB Williams.

I'm no rugby expert but that was a disgrace from Williams. He could have done serious damage and looked like he intended to do so.

From my sketchy knowledge of rugby rules that looked a stick on red card.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He see's the hole he see's the glory.

Fair play that was gutsy stuff.

Sending off obviously played it's part but that was just utter stupidity.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Fair play that is a great win.

Vunipola is a dirty ****, he should have been off.......15 vs 15 next week....sorry guys my dads a kiwi so I've a foot in both camps...

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Not a great rugby fan, but i can still admire the grit and determination of these players from both sides.

Gritty win, but 14 men ran them right to the limit, and I thought the Lions were lucky to get the winning penalty, Sinckler jumped into the tackle when the tackler was already committed.

Correct red card, SB Williams with a dirty challenge.
    vunipolo is a clown, how many times does he want to give away stupid penalties. Shouldn't play next week.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Not a great rugby fan, but i can still admire the grit and determination of these players from both sides.
    Certainly knocks the footballers and their little niggles into a cocked hat.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Got to be said Gatland does seem to carry a huge amount of luck. Thought lions very lucky to win looked clueless when against 14 until the first try.

A wins a win but Gatland is not a good coach. Changed nothing after Sonny Bills red and was lucky to get a win Against 14. Barret also missed 3 kick able pens that should have seen ABs win. If garland had any sense AWJ would be nowhere near the team next week. Vunipolo was a liability and isn't even all that good a scrummager. He is an impact sub with 20 to go when teams are tiring. Next week will be a loss by 20 points.

I think they'll get pumped too.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    All Blacks -18.5 at 2/1 looks like a great value for Saturday.

I've been down in NZ watching.

I've seen live the Maori, the Chiefs & 2 tests. Won 3 of 4 we've seen live. All have been great occasions but winning a test in NZ regardless of red card & how we made it so difficult for ourselves was excellent. Some karma for BOD in 2005.

Hibs are my first love but I enjoy rugby too and I've always loved the concept of the Lions. So the trip is something of a major bucket list trip of a lifetime for me.

Despite how good it was winning yesterday it didn't come remotely close to winning the SCF. It's quite amusing being in a rugby crowd as they've started some chants beyond just Scotland, England etc. Lions Lions Lions being the most repeated but also Ohhh Maro Itoje to 7 nation army tune. It is annoying how English you sound singing Lions Lions!! Dont worry not been singing Swing Low but plenty of Flower of Scotland renditions.

The Kiwis we've met everywhere have been incredibly welcoming and genuinely delighted to have us here. Atmosphere everywhere has been excellent. I've fallen in love with the country too, a beautiful place, couldn't recommend it highly enough. We got down to Queenstown for some outdoor activities, brilliant place especially for young people.

The locals have mixed views on the haka but I've always enjoyed the theatre of it. A highlight of the trip was the Maori performing it in Rotorua..it was a Cloudy/foggy night & it looked like they were emerging from the fog & mist to lay down the challenge. Was very special.

Another highlight was meeting Sir Ian McGeechan, getting a photo & chatting to him for a bit. He's no Gatland fan either.
    Won't make the third test. Suspect bookies right but hope springs eternal.

Right now my liver needs a break.

Come on Gatland and the Lions !

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i hope the all blacks clobber the english/welsh/irish lions tomorrow i also hope jordie barrett launches a drop kick right on the middle of gatlands coupon

:)
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 07-07-2017 at 11:36 AM.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Hoping All Blacks win. Just to ram it up Gatland.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Have to say that Gatland shouldn't be immune from criticism but the dearth of Scotland players in the Test 15/23 isn't unreasonable and we should accept that and move on.

Hogg would have been in the 23 or potentially started, had he not suffered that unfortunate injury. WP Nel may have been a contender had he not got injured earlier in the season.

Other than that, I don't think Scotland can have any complaints. I really like Laidlaw but Connor Murray is better and Rhys Webb is as good. I had hoped Johnny Gray would have been considered but it would probably have meant dropping Alun Wyn Jones and that would have been a massive call given his performances for the Lions previously.

Russell was unfortunate - clear toss-up between him and Biggar and I think Biggar maybe edged it for being seen as better defensively. Other than that, you could cite Barclay, Watson etc in the back row but that's probably the area of strongest competition in the Lions squad and while they're good,the guys picked ahead of them are genuinely better.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 07-07-2017 at 03:31 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

The issue isn't really who's in the team. It's about squad selection. You can't really pick any Scots in the team if you don't select any in the squad. Anyway just about to head out with a bunch of mates to watch the game. ABs will win by 20 I think and for the first time ever I'm not really fussed about the Lions winning. Only about half an hour till my first Stella.

Lions are going to get humped here. All Blacks win by about 12 or 15 points imo.

Fair play. NZ could have been out of sight but the Lions hung in there and deserved the draw.

Good to see a referee make a big decision correctly at the end as well.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    FT 15-15

The series ends with a draw. I'm sure majority of lions fans would have taken that before the series started.