hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Lions.

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Russell & Dell called up to the squad
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/disgruntled-lions-fan-wrote-open-13209624.amp

Not many Lions fans who understand the history & traditions of the Lions will disagree with those sentiments. Cheapening of the jersey.
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

2. Log in to remove the advert

What gatland did with the Wales boys already in NZ was a disgrace. Lions is the pinnacle of your career. lad like Launchbury and Hartley must be livid. Rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    What gatland did with the Wales boys already in NZ was a disgrace. Lions is the pinnacle of your career. lad like Launchbury and Hartley must be livid. Rightly so.
    If I was either of the Gray brothers I'd be sick

@hibs.net private member
    They didn't call any hookers up so Hartley can't complain. Launchbury though has every right to smack Gatland clean on the jaw next time he sees him.

From the 6 called up over the weekend there's only 2 that you can't grumble about (Russell and Davies).

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I sort of understand why he did it, but I equally see that it sullies the badge a little.

Both Wales and Scotland are undertaking summer tours in the same locale as the Lions, and their players are adjusted to the time zone already - quite why England elected to head off and play provincial games on the complete opposite side of the planet is beyond me...

I personally felt Russell and Davies should have been in the original squad anyway, as should Launchbury. However, to expect Launchbury to travel in from Argentina and contribute in a test game would be ambitious to say the least - not only is it a 13h flight, but NZ is 15 hours ahead of Argentina. It would take the lad a good few days to properly adjust.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Kristian Dacey is a hooker. To have Dacey who only has about 5 caps for Wales in the squad over Hartley grand slam winning England captain is truly astonishing.

Shouldn't matter where you are in the world. Lions call ups should be based on merit 100% of the time. Your proximity to the tour shouldn't matter. Its the principle of it that gets me. You shouldn't get a call up unless you are good enough and that's the end of it IMO.

This whole selection process has been a shambles. The lack of Scottish players to start with was a joke and now Gatland calls up lads he's familiar with because they're only a short distance away cheapens the jersey.

@hibs.net private member
    Kristian Dacey is a hooker. To have Dacey who only has about 5 caps for Wales in the squad over Hartley grand slam winning England captain is truly astonishing.

Shouldn't matter where you are in the world. Lions call ups should be based on merit 100% of the time. Your proximity to the tour shouldn't matter. Its the principle of it that gets me. You shouldn't get a call up unless you are good enough and that's the end of it IMO.

This whole selection process has been a shambles. The lack of Scottish players to start with was a joke and now Gatland calls up lads he's familiar with because they're only a short distance away cheapens the jersey.
    Is he? Just shows you - Lions call up for a guy hardly anyone is aware of! I was listening to the rugby pod podcast earlier and even they (ex international players) said they had to look up who some of the 6 guys were!

Only one of them actually got any game time - and he's scotlands 2nd or 3rd choice LH prop!

Fraser Brown must've been worth a call up? He was only in Australia and I imagine he'd have been close to making the original squad.

Makes you you wonder if gatland tipped the Welsh to tour in the same country, expecting to call more players in. Why would you tour the same country as the lions at the same time?

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Makes you you wonder if gatland tipped the Welsh to tour in the same country, expecting to call more players in. Why would you tour the same country as the lions at the same time?
    Each player called up to the Lions earns his home union a considerable sum of money. 200k each is a figure I have been told. Garland just made his bosses at WRU an additional 800k if true. None of the six called up deserved a spot IMO Russell was probably closest. Definitely cheapens what is without doubt the ultimate honour for any Scottish, English, Welsh and Irish rugby player. It also upsets me to see so many NZers, Fijians, etc filling the jersey. The residency rules are just not right but that's another argument.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Each player called up to the Lions earns his home union a considerable sum of money. 200k each is a figure I have been told. Garland just made his bosses at WRU an additional 800k if true. None of the six called up deserved a spot IMO Russell was probably closest. Definitely cheapens what is without doubt the ultimate honour for any Scottish, English, Welsh and Irish rugby player. It also upsets me to see so many NZers, Fijians, etc filling the jersey. The residency rules are just not right but that's another argument.
    If that's true then an investigation should be launched. I'm Welsh myself but I cant justify the calls ups that have been made in the slightest. Agree with residency to a point. If you Look at Falatau who plays for Wales he's lived in wales since he was a kid as his dad played for Ebbw Vale and Pontypool. Went to primary school in Wales and everything but I disagree with players playing for a nation only after a couple of years of living there. I also disagree with players changing international allegiances as well. Once you declare for a country that should be it in my view.

@hibs.net private member
    The residency rule is being changed - I think to 5 years so that should stop a few of the free loaders.

Apparently each of the guys they've called up to hold the pads get all the kit and the £70k payment. Not a bad few days work.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Dont profess to be a big rugby fan, but i'm really looking forward to this, can we win?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Dont profess to be a big rugby fan, but i'm really looking forward to this, can we win?
    Stranger things have happened, but I fancy they'll be far too good. We've struggled against far lesser opposition on this tour so far.

Don't know that much about it but it looks like it's going to be a long night for The Lions!

Gamer IDs

Bang, bang. Just like that, we're 10-0 down!

They've upped the tempo this past few minutes.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    At this stage it looks as though we could be on the wrong end of a severe howkin.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Stranger things have happened, but I fancy they'll be far too good. We've struggled against far lesser opposition on this tour so far.
    From the untrained eye, they look stronger, quicker and faster than the lions. We probably need to score next or we could be on the end of a tanking here?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    From the untrained eye, they look stronger, quicker and faster than the lions. We probably need to score next or we could be on the end of a tanking here?
    A fair assessment - we're managing to get into good positions, but keep falling short or making errors to lose the ball.

But as I finish typing that, what a phenomenal try!

Brilliant try there from The Lions.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Back in the game, all is not lost!

13-8 HT to The All Blacks.

Garland getting what he deserves with his dreadful touring party selections.

Nowhere near good enough today. Interesting to see who he blames for this days performance. Anyone but himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    Garland getting what he deserves with his dreadful touring party selections.

Nowhere near good enough today. Interesting to see who he blames for this days performance. Anyone but himself.
    To be honest, I've totally lost interest in the Lions since they announced the team - to only pick two Scots in the original squad from a country that is now 4th in the world and had just beaten Wales and Ireland was a joke compunded by picking something like 13 Welshmen. Total joke of a squad.

To be honest there's also some Englishmen that should be there ahead of some of his picks.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    To be honest, I've totally lost interest in the Lions since they announced the team - to only pick two Scots in the original squad from a country that is now 4th in the world and had just beaten Wales and Ireland was a joke compunded by picking something like 13 Welshmen. Total joke of a squad.

To be honest there's also some Englishmen that should be there ahead of some of his picks.
    He strikes me as a man with no class whatsoever. Obviously I would like to see the Lions win the series but won't lose any sleep if they get tonked in the next two tests.

As a side note I wonder what international and club games the selectors were watching to pick the squad they did.

Just back after being out since 7am with some mates from Alloa rugby club to watch the match. Outclassed would be a fair assessment. Don't let the commentators or player interviews fool anyone. Yes we had chances but they were made from breaks from 40/50 metres out. NZ made chances from 10/20 metres out. Gatland is an average coach and has been found wanting now. Picked too many Wlshmen who are apst their best. Alun Wyn Jones for example, great player in the past, no where near good enough now. Booing out his arse after 30 mins. Subbing Teo for Sexton and moving Farrell to 12 as stupid. Teo was playing well, lions MOM probably, and after he went off ABs started attacking through the centres but Farrell seems undropable?? Warburton did **** all when he came on, poor sub. Faletua did diddly squat the whole game, no carries, no turnovers, hardly a tackle. Gatland and his boring big bash big players style can get to ****.3-0 is a certainty and NZ will win by bigger margins than today in the next two tests. As someone who has been away to watch the lions on tour, Disappointed doesn't begin to describe it!! to

Yes I am totally pissed!! Bad day after Scotland losing. Especially when it best stand off was taken away from us for no real reason!!!! garland is a prick

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Just back after being out since 7am with some mates from Alloa rugby club to watch the match. Outclassed would be a fair assessment. Don't let the commentators or player interviews fool anyone. Yes we had chances but they were made from breaks from 40/50 metres out. NZ made chances from 10/20 metres out. Gatland is an average coach and has been found wanting now. Picked too many Wlshmen who are apst their best. Alun Wyn Jones for example, great player in the past, no where near good enough now. Booing out his arse after 30 mins. Subbing Teo for Sexton and moving Farrell to 12 as stupid. Teo was playing well, lions MOM probably, and after he went off ABs started attacking through the centres but Farrell seems undropable?? Warburton did **** all when he came on, poor sub. Faletua did diddly squat the whole game, no carries, no turnovers, hardly a tackle. Gatland and his boring big bash big players style can get to ****.3-0 is a certainty and NZ will win by bigger margins than today in the next two tests. As someone who has been away to watch the lions on tour, Disappointed doesn't begin to describe it!! to
    Teo did play well but if we're talking about devaluing the jersey did he not only debut for England in March through the residential rule?

I despise that rule and I hardly think Ben Te'o has been working since a young age to become a Lion. I would have Joseph in ahead of him every day.

Farrell is undroppable because daddy is in the stands. AWJ will be dropped from Itoje IMO.

Stuart Hogg must be gutted sitting at home. Yes Williams created a try but he was suspect every other time on the ball. Halfpenny IMO is not up to that level anymore. Watson was woeful and I think Stander should start ahead of O'Mahony as I don't think he was great.

Great interception try between Seymour and Laidlaw v The Hurricanes.

23-7 for The Lions HT.

31-31 FT, great game.