hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lions.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

The Lions.

Very slow start in their first game, 24 minutes gone and lots of mistakes. 7-3 down.

2. Log in to remove the advert

53 mins gone and at last we take the lead with a try and conversion. 13-7

Very poor today, albeit with mitigating circumstances of only arriving 3 days ago (poor decision by the organisers?), first time on a pitch competitively together, and playing a group for most of whom this will be their biggest ever game with nothing to lose (they were also new to each other).

Also felt the ref was a bit off, usually like Angus Gardner but felt he was a bit inconsistent today.

a win is a win, but there's a few players probably already pushed themselves further from a test jersey.

I think "disjointed" is the best you could say about that performance, that and the fact we won. 1st game on a Lions tour is often hard going but even allowing for that we were very poor.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Not a great start, but the NZP Babas had a game plan and executed it well. The Blues should be a much easier prospect on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very poor today, albeit with mitigating circumstances of only arriving 3 days ago (poor decision by the organisers?), first time on a pitch competitively together, and playing a group for most of whom this will be their biggest ever game with nothing to lose (they were also new to each other).

Also felt the ref was a bit off, usually like Angus Gardner but felt he was a bit inconsistent today.

a win is a win, but there's a few players probably already pushed themselves further from a test jersey.
    I could write everything that I know about rugby on the back of a post-it note but whoever decided that it was a good idea to travel from the UK to New Zealand 72 hours before playing a match needs their head examined.

Absolutely crazy decision.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I could write everything that I know about rugby on the back of a post-it note but whoever decided that it was a good idea to travel from the UK to New Zealand 72 hours before playing a match needs their head examined.

It's all about money, of course.

Lions tours are much shorter than they used to be. The clubs don't want their precious assets away for too long, which is understandable.

Time was when the players took 6 weeks to get there by ship.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    We were poor today, but credit to the Barbarians - I thought they had a lot of pace, and some good handling - they were just outmuscled a little in the end and perhaps tired into the second half. Their multiple stops on the line before half-time was impressive, and I bet they'll be rueing their missed try opportunity mid-way through the first half!

Gatland's son had a cracking game for them - his kicking was spot on, putting the ball into all sorts of good positions. Was disappointed with Stuart Hogg today - a lot of handling errors. Even taking jetlag into account, that's fundamentals!

Hopefully a more cohesive performance on Wednesday morning!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member

The regular season only finished last weekend - the other option would've been for them to fly out in 2 groups rather than as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    The regular season only finished last weekend - the other option would've been for them to fly out in 2 groups rather than as a team.
    Or they could have started the tour a few days later. I just think that either way, going to the other side of the world 3 days before playing a match was a terrible move by those organising the tour.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Or they could have started the tour a few days later. I just think that either way, going to the other side of the world 3 days before playing a match was a terrible move by those organising the tour.
    And that would probably have resulted in a game less. Like I say, it's about the money.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    If they had lost it would've been.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Not a great start, but the NZP Babas had a game plan and executed it well. The Blues should be a much easier prospect on Wednesday.
    Barbarians were meant to be far and away the easiest opposition faced on Tour. Made up of reserve/fringe Super Rugby players.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    Barbarians were meant to be far and away the easiest opposition faced on Tour. Made up of reserve/fringe Super Rugby players.
    I know, but the extra days rest, more time for the squad to gel and no jetlag should see the lions put in a much better performance...I hope.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Lions very poor today look like very little creativity in terms of scoring tries. Somebody like Russell should have gone in terms of breaking the lines very one dimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Lions very poor today look like very little creativity in terms of scoring tries. Somebody like Russell should have gone in terms of breaking the lines very one dimensional.

Absolutely. I thought he got shafted by the selectors, one of the form players of the 6 nations, but he's not Welsh of course

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post

Absolutely. I thought he got shafted by the selectors, one of the form players of the 6 nations, but he's not Welsh of course
    Just completely different is able to play the killer pass Farrell Sexton and Biggar are basically the same.

Can't see anything other than a Crusaders win on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Just completely different is able to play the killer pass Farrell Sexton and Biggar are basically the same.

Agree, my old man made a similar comment, that you shouldn't take 2/3 players who do basically the same things, you take different players who can produce different things

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    3-0 series win for ABs unfortunately. Poor selection of squad from Gatland and poor team selections will cost him in the tests. He picks players he knows and for him bigger seems to be better, that doesn't work against New Zealand.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    We've looked marginally better today, but still no penetration to actually get the ball over the line - it's like watching the Scotland teams of old so far this morning - all penalties.

It's better than it was on Wednesday, but I agree, the All Blacks will likely sweep us!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Done pretty good today against a very good Crusaders team however the All Blacks are going to be a different kettle of fish.

Nasty looking Injury for Hogg, hopefully nothing serious

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Hogg not available for next game due to injury today

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Very disciplined performance from the Lions, taking into account unplanned tactical changes like Hogg's withdrawal.

The Crusaders are probably the strongest opposition outside the Tests so it was important to win. It was a tactical win though, based on grinding out the penalties. I suspect that's Gatland's strategy for the Tests. The risk is that the ABs don't give away much and will capitalise on any opportunity on the loose. Saying that, we have the likes of North and a few others who can make and take chances at the drop of a hat.

Really looking forward to the First Test and hoping for no injuries against the Maoris
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Good start from the lions today, 3-0 up after 4 minutes of pressure from the kick off.

FFS defending like schoolkids there, 7-6 down now.

Easy win in the end. NZ media finally thinking they might actually have a decent challenge next week...

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Russell & Dell called up to the squad

Dominant performance last night.
    Momentum building nicely into Saturday.
    Plenty form options in the pack. Backs less so & lot will depend on Farells injury. Suspect he plays Farell & Sexton. North struggling for form but sure Garland will select him.