hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Lions.

Fair result. No margin for error in any of the matches. All Blacks need a more reliable kicker!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair play. NZ could have been out of sight but the Lions hung in there and deserved the draw.

Good to see a referee make a big decision correctly at the end as well.
    Quite fortunate with that one - could easily have been given as a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Quite fortunate with that one - could easily have been given as a penalty.
    100% a penalty for me, not that I'm complaining! Owens had time to catch and then drop the ball! It was instinctive rather than cynical but still a pen.

As a Scottish rugby fan I was supporting the Lions but there's no doubt that it loses some of its magic for me with no Scots in the squad. I can't hand on heart say any necessarily deserved to be in the team, hopefully Hogg would have been if fit, but I think Gatland and the other coaches have very little respect for our game.

An unfortunate consequence of the series result for me is that Gatland, Howley etc will be vindicated and celebrated and I don't think they deserve to be. We were well beaten in the 1st test, the final score flattered us big time. We battled well in the 2nd but the conditions and red card (which was the correct call) more than levelled the playing field. We battled well again today but the ABs made a lot of errors, unusually for them, and we got away with one at the end there.

Despite how Sky try to hype it up it doesn't deserve to be up there with previous great series for me.

I don't know what to make of that.
    Didn't feel we were a good enough team to win a series in NZ especially compared to '71 vintage. Then again they couldn't put us away so draw must be about right.
    Anti climax main emotion.
    Maybe AB's not as good as the hype is one conclusion.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i've never saw an all blacks team with so many handling errors, and that pass forward in the 2nd half which would have been an easy try was absolutely ****** dreadful, they really should have beaten the 15 points winning margin in the 1st test :(
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 08-07-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    i've never saw an all blacks team with so many handling errors, and that pass forward in the 2nd half which would have been an easy try was absolutely ****** dreadful, they really should have beaten the 15 points winning margin in the 1st test :(
    Yeah, they should have won every test by a lot more IMHO. Lions were fortunate to get a series draw, poor penalty calls at the end of the last two games went against the all blacks. The winning penalty call in the 2nd test was a shocker and the ref downgrading the penalty at the end of the game today was the wrong decision , Owens caught the ball before dropping it so should have been a penalty. To be fair though, we stuck in there and took the opportunities when handed to us by the refs.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    I think the weather was a factor tbf

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    100% a penalty for me, not that I'm complaining! Owens had time to catch and then drop the ball! It was instinctive rather than cynical but still a pen.

As a Scottish rugby fan I was supporting the Lions but there's no doubt that it loses some of its magic for me with no Scots in the squad. I can't hand on heart say any necessarily deserved to be in the team, hopefully Hogg would have been if fit, but I think Gatland and the other coaches have very little respect for our game.

An unfortunate consequence of the series result for me is that Gatland, Howley etc will be vindicated and celebrated and I don't think they deserve to be. We were well beaten in the 1st test, the final score flattered us big time. We battled well in the 2nd but the conditions and red card (which was the correct call) more than levelled the playing field. We battled well again today but the ABs made a lot of errors, unusually for them, and we got away with one at the end there.

Despite how Sky try to hype it up it doesn't deserve to be up there with previous great series for me.

i thought it was a penalty at the end as well.

as much as the lions deserve some credit for hanging in there and some sterling defensive work, the All Blacks should have scored several times more today, and last week also, even with 14 men.

A statistic I saw this afternoon says a lot: in the 240 minutes of play in the 3 tests, the Lions led for 3.

Barrett slotted 15 out of 20 conversions in the series. To be precise, he missed 14 points. Most un-All Blacklike.

Quote Originally Posted by ano hibby View Post
    I don't know what to make of that.
    Didn't feel we were a good enough team to win a series in NZ especially compared to '71 vintage. Then again they couldn't put us away so draw must be about right.
    Anti climax main emotion.
    Maybe AB's not as good as the hype is one conclusion.
    Going through a bit of a transition at the minute it seems.

From this end, and having watched most of their matches over the past 9 years, the three performances were not up to their usual standards, that is for sure. They've got quite a few new/young players in at the minute and it just didn't quite seem to click as it usually does.