Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
Interesting series as SAF have the players who can do it with bat and ball and could yet turn it around.

England are only a couple of picks away from being a really strong side and could be top three as opposed to top five or six. They have to be mindful of succession planning though, particularly with Broad and Anderson. Also need to sort that top order, because they are genuinely solid in the middle order.

I've got tickets for days 2 and 3 at Headingley for the second Test vs the Windies at the end of August. I would expect England to be dominating that match if they are as good as they think - first match to iron out any kinks and come across any surprises, second match to demonstrate why they are so much higher in the rankings.

There was a good point made during 'The Verdict' on Day 5 - the WI tests need to be taken as the prelude to the Ashes series. No experimental picks, no messing around with the order or the selection. England need to focus on working towards that first Ashes Test, because they have the potential to have a very good series this winter if they show the concentration and determination they did at the Oval.

There was a lack of mental discipline evident at Trent Bridge which seems to have been sorted out - no one racing around screaming for a review, batsmen getting their heads down and grafting to stay at the wicket, Joe Root I don't think putting a foot wrong at any point in the match - not in any serious sense, at any rate.

Yup - the top order and who comes in when Anderson and Broad retire (which can't be too far off now, I suppose) are the main issues facing them now.

I'm beginning to really like JR as captain.