hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FACT of the day

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did Hearts fans not sing YNWA as well? 70s maybe? Sure I read that.

Both them and Celtic probably won't want to believe that now though.
    Hearts have been singing You'll never win again.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    No, it was a well established football song but one that everybody still considered to have been started by Liverpool.
    I said it was a Celtic song. I never said exclusively.

Celtic have sang it for a while but I just don't get why they sing it ?

Anytime I hear Liverpool sing YNWA I can feel the emotion and pride from the fans, when the Celtic fans sing it all I can think is tacky and "look at us" attitude. It just doesn't fit right, which is why I'm glad we stopped the idea of adopting it and got our own anthem which suits our club and fans just perfectly.

Back in the 70s / 80s a lot of clubs fans sang YNWA coz its pretty transferrable in so much as it doesn't mention Liverpool ..... the difference seems to be that nobody would dare have the cheek to lay claim to the song as being their own. Recently Celtic appear to be trying really hard to muscle in on Liverpool's action in that regard though ....... not in so much as saying the song is theirs, but trying to give the impression that the song should be associated with both clubs in equal measure.

SOL is ours and coz of that it wouldn't matter if there was 100,000 of them belting out YNWA like Pavarotti ...... we win

Testimonial Due
    When did we 1st start singing SOL at Easter Road,I can't think that far back.

@hibs.net private member
    My first memory of it getting the hair on the back of my neck standing up at Easter Road was Aek Athens.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I remember it at half time against Aberdeen in LC game when we were in 1st div last time. Was played in memory of a kid who had died. That's my first memory of it at ER.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    My first memory of it getting the hair on the back of my neck standing up at Easter Road was Aek Athens.
    Thats the 1st time i remember hearing it

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This bit is relevant to the debate;

The song was adopted by Scottish team Celtic after a 1966 Cup Winners Cup semi-final against Liverpool at Anfield.

It is now sung by Celtic fans prior to every home European tie.

The song has also been adopted by Dutch teams Feyenoord, FC Twente and SC Cambuur,[20] Germany's Borussia Dortmund, FSV Mainz 05, 1. FC Kaiserslautern, SV Darmstadt 98, Eintracht Braunschweig, Borussia Mönchengladbach, VfL Osnabrück, Alemannia Aachen, FC St Pauli, TSV 1860 Munich,[21] Belgium's Club Brugge, Japan's F.C. Tokyo,[22] Spain's CD Lugo.[23] and the Marist St. Pats MSP 80/80 Blues. In Ice Hockey, the song has been adopted by German Deutsche Eishockey Liga side Krefeld Pinguine and Croatian Medveščak Zagreb.
    So glad SoL isn't hoored oot like this. Very grateful that such a perfect song is unique only to Hibs 💚

My personal opinion has always been that regardless of what went before, after the Hillsborough disaster, YNWA should have been left alone to be sung by one team - Liverpool FC.

Hate celtic for various reasons but they are the most unoriginal club in the world. Even hearts have more originality than these clowns

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    That was Steven Spielberg.
    A celtc fan just told me they did it first?!

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    A celtc fan just told me they did it first?!

Neither of them made the breakthrough during the 90 minutes of normal time but Spielberg did it after ET

Quote Originally Posted by Disc O'Dave View Post
    Neither of them made the breakthrough during the 90 minutes of normal time but Spielberg did it after ET

First Team Regular
    I believe YNWA was originally sung at Anfield. The reason being, I once saw a documentary about Liverpool FC and it showed crowd scenes from The Kop from the sixties. They weren't singing YNWA but were singing early Beatles songs. So Liverpool fans seemed to have been in the habit of singing (non-football) popular songs of the day from Liverpool acts. The sentiments portrayed in the lyrics ensured its ever lasting appeal.

PS the song was taken from a 40's musical called Carousel.
    Last edited by Criswell; 28-05-2017 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Criswell View Post
    I believe YNWA was originally sung at Anfield. The reason being, I once saw a documentary about Liverpool FC and it showed crowd scenes from The Kop from the sixties. They weren't singing YNWA but were singing early Beatles songs. So Liverpool fans seemed to have been in the habit of singing (non-football) popular songs of the day from Liverpool acts. The sentiments portrayed in the lyrics ensured its ever lasting appeal.

Sung by Judy Garland .... no relation to the ex Hertz keeper AFAIK

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Sung by Judy Garland .... no relation to the ex Hertz keeper AFAIK
    Shirley Jones 😉

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Criswell View Post

Remember seeing that video. They also sang a Cilla Black song. Not a lorra people know that.

Found it.

https://youtu.be/N8514NaOyjM
    Last edited by iwasthere1972; 29-05-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    FWIW, my recollection is that YNWA was the third of three number one singles by Gerry and the Pacemakers in 1964, a cover version of the song from 'Carousel'. Lots of singers had recorded the song previously, but this version was the one that really made it popular in Britain.

They were very much a Liverpool group, and the Anfield fans (who were in the habit of singing Beatles' and other hit songs at games, adopted the song very soon after it came out.

Celtic played Liverpool in the semi of the European Cup-Winners' Cup in 1965, and conceiving that they had some sort of 'special relationship' with Liverpool, their fans started singing it too, especially on European nights at Parkhead during the Stein years.

Lots of clubs' fans sing it now, but originally and properly it was and remains the Liverpool fans' anthem.

I agree with those who have already said that when Celtic supporters borrow it, it sounds tacky. But as others have already pointed out, just about everything about that club has been borrowed or stolen from someone else.