hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: McInnes

Someone on the wind up saying Lennon would go to Aberdeen. Only Celtic or Rangers would be a step up. If McInnes goes we will finish above the Dons. Stubbs would be a good shout for them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Lennon is despised by the Sheep fans. Not sure why but they absolutely hate him, more than any other support bar The Rangers maybe.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aberdeen aren't drawing big crowds despite their relative success over the past few seasons because of the huge job losses in the oil industry which the majority of people who live here work in.

Many people who live here are jobless, skint or have a real fear of losing their job in the near future so aren't spending money.

During the oil boom the crowds were still poor at Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Why would Lennon go to Aberdeen when he's already at the second best team in Scotland.

exactly

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Someone on the wind up saying Lennon would go to Aberdeen. Only Celtic or Rangers would be a step up. If McInnes goes we will finish above the Dons. Stubbs would be a good shout for them.
    Fwiw, I wasn't really on the wind up. It was meant to a be tongue-in-cheek post for a laugh hence the pot-stirring smiley.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    During the oil boom the crowds were still poor at Aberdeen.
    Yup. They were averaging around the same when they were winning everything in the 80's. They just don't have a big following.

McInnes is now 1/2 for the Sunderland job with Skybet, the only other one anywhere near him in the betting is Nigel Clough at 4/1.

The look on his face at full time told me he's a goner.

How do you progress a club like Aberdeen? Consecutively finish as the 2nd best team in the country? Reach cup finals regularly?

It's a tough one and, yeah a Scottish Cup win for them would be tremendous but even without that, if we were in the top flight finishing 2nd consistently and reaching cup finals we'd near sell out every other week imo

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    The look on his face at full time told me he's a goner.

How do you progress a club like Aberdeen? Consecutively finish as the 2nd best team in the country? Reach cup finals regularly?

It's a tough one and, yeah a Scottish Cup win for them would be tremendous but even without that, if we were in the top flight finishing 2nd consistently and reaching cup finals we'd near sell out every other week imo
    I think he and the players would have been pretty annoyed at the Aberdeen fans leaving at the end rather than waiting to give them a clap when getting their medals. They had put in an excellent performance and deserved more than looking out over empty seats in their end of the ground.

The Rangers wouldn't be a step up from Hibs. Sideways maybe but they are going for same type of players we are and looking in the same market. As a club they will NEVER recover from going bust and Celtic will win 15 in a row never mind ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    The Rangers wouldn't be a step up from Hibs. Sideways maybe but they are going for same type of players we are and looking in the same market. As a club they will NEVER recover from going bust and Celtic will win 15 in a row never mind ten.
    Arguable footballwise at present it would be a sideways move however on a personal level financially definitely would IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Arguable footballwise at present it would be a sideways move however on a personal level financially definitely would IMO.
    If that's the case then Aberdeen would be there too then as they are paying more than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    If that's the case then Aberdeen would be there too then as they are paying more than us.
    I was thinking more of a managerial move, as Rangers wouldnt allow themselves to be seen to not be paying the manager a very good wage.

I doubt Lennon would want to go to Aberdeen after being spat on and coins thrown at him from the Dons fans at tyncastle during their semi final game v's st Johnstone.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...le_fan_attack/

I think he and the players would have been pretty annoyed at the Aberdeen fans leaving at the end rather than waiting to give them a clap when getting their medals. They had put in an excellent performance and deserved more than looking out over empty seats in their end of the ground.
    I guess that's kind of my point Jim. He has done a remarkable job at Aberdeen considering the years leading up to us being relegated they regularly finished in the bottom 6 as well.

And for what? Fans to turn their back on the club? Na he deserves much better than that for the work he's done up there.

Aberdeen aren't drawing big crowds despite their relative success over the past few seasons because of the huge job losses in the oil industry which the majority of people who live here work in.

Many people who live here are jobless, skint or have a real fear of losing their job in the near future so aren't spending money.
    Total exaggeration....I am up there for work a lot and there is still plenty of money floating around up there...yes the heady days of a few years back have gone but still plenty money up there mate

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You would think Stubbsy would be a shout, surely?

I was thinking more of a managerial move, as Rangers wouldnt allow themselves to be seen to not be paying the manager a very good wage.
    Ah right, I'm still not convinced they have much money to be honest. I may be wrong but something tells me all is not as it seems at that club.

First Team Breakthrough Lost_Mackem's Avatar
    Got to be honest when I first heard we were linked with him I thought "who?". Since then however I have done some research into him and after watching the Scottish Cup final at the weekend I am warming to the idea of him being Sunderland manager. He'd now be my first choice, closely followed by Garry Monk.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Any manager would have to be crazy to take the Sunderland job while Short remains the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Mackem View Post
    Got to be honest when I first heard we were linked with him I thought "who?". Since then however I have done some research into him and after watching the Scottish Cup final at the weekend I am warming to the idea of him being Sunderland manager. He'd now be my first choice, closely followed by Garry Monk.
    Yeh .... he got his tactics pretty well spot on. Mind you when you have played a team 5 times already during the season you would think any manager worth his salt would be able to come up with a system to render them less effective, especially when its a club like Celtic who only know one way to play ...... thats probably not a luxury managers in the EFL enjoy.

Having said that McInnes did a good job, the fact is Aberdeen aren't the youngest team in the league and they probably lost because they ran out of steam more than anything.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

The same happens with any losing side, maybe except Gretna.

You pay a lot of money to go to a final and often if you lose you just want to get away asap.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    Any manager would have to be crazy to take the Sunderland job while Short remains the owner.
    'Hi Derek, we are offering 4x your current salary + huge promotion bonus.'

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Total exaggeration....I am up there for work a lot and there is still plenty of money floating around up there...yes the heady days of a few years back have gone but still plenty money up there mate

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I think I'm better placed to have an opinion on this. I've lived in Aberdeen for 10 years now and work for an oil company, I've experienced the downturn myself and this is what my work colleagues have been saying to me for the past couple of seasons.
    Last edited by EricM; 29-05-2017 at 12:31 PM.

@hibs.net private member PeeKay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Yeh .... he got his tactics pretty well spot on.
    Not sure that he did get it right. It was probably a mistake not to play Rooney from the start.

I think I'm better placed to have an opinion on this. I've lived in Aberdeen for 10 years now and work for an oil company, I've experienced the downturn myself and this is what my work colleagues have been saying to me for the past couple of seasons.

Explain why Aberdeens crowds were crap during the oil boom then?

Aberdeen fans are using the downturn in oil as an excuse..Typical bleeting from them.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Yup. They were averaging around the same when they were winning everything in the 80's. They just don't have a big following.
    If that's the case then you could say they have a loyal following who don't disappear when the going gets tough.

Aberdeen used to always sell out the away end at Easter Road. They stopped this roughly when Calderwood took them over IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    If that's the case then you could say they have a loyal following who don't disappear when the going gets tough.
    Their fans are the first to disappear when the going gets tough.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    Their fans are the first to disappear when the going gets tough.
    This suggests otherwise. Apart from 2/3 seasons a few years ago, their average has held up pretty well for about 20 years.

http://www.fitbastats.com/aberdeen/c...attendance.php