hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar

No Parade IF Aberdeen Win The Cup

Aberdeen have just released the following statement.....

"Following this week's tragic events in Manchester, and after detailed discussion with Police Scotland, Aberdeen Football Club has confirmed that, in the event of an Aberdeen victory, there will be no victory parade in the city on Sunday.

Obviously with complete respect to Celtic Football Club, we would not wish to pre-judge the outcome of the Scottish Cup final in any way. However, it is crucial that supporters are fully aware of all organisational arrangements which may affect them.

In the event of Aberdeen being fortunate enough to win the Scottish Cup, the club would like to confirm that there will be no open top bus parade on Sunday and, given the situation and the pressure on police and security resources, we know our supporters will fully understand these measures which have been taken.

We thank the Red Army for their assistance and co-operation."

Seems odd when there is a major cycling race in the city centre today with thousands expected.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    If the same Aberdeen turn up as they did in the semi, Celtic will take 6 of them anyway. It's a shame of the sheep win though, that parade last year was one of the best days of my life.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Wonder what the Celtc response will be to this?

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: pesus-ab
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

"Following this week's tragic events in Manchester, and after detailed discussion with Police Scotland, Aberdeen Football Club has confirmed that, in the event of an Aberdeen victory, there will be no victory parade in the city on Sunday.

Obviously with complete respect to Celtic Football Club, we would not wish to pre-judge the outcome of the Scottish Cup final in any way. However, it is crucial that supporters are fully aware of all organisational arrangements which may affect them.

In the event of Aberdeen being fortunate enough to win the Scottish Cup, the club would like to confirm that there will be no open top bus parade on Sunday and, given the situation and the pressure on police and security resources, we know our supporters will fully understand these measures which have been taken.

Seems odd when there is a major cycling race in the city centre today with thousands expected.
    I did think that was pretty weird as well. But, alas, I also think it will be totally irrelevant as they don't stand a chance of winning it.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    In what respect? The statement is very clear that they are not counting any chickens and was respectful to Celtic.

Edit: Celtic have also put out a similar statement. Seems it has been done after consultation with both clubs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Not sure what you mean by that? Neither Celtic or Rangers do bus parades after trophy wins as far as I can recall.

Chelsea have also called off their title-winning bus parade so I can only guess that it's the level of police resource required for such events that differentiates them from things like the bike race mentioned.

Whatever, it's another sorry indication that for all the talk of 'going about our lives as normal to prove that terrorism will never win' we do actually see our day to day lives changed by such murderous acts. A great shame for the Aberdeen fans in the (albeit unlikely) event that they win the cup.

My main hope is that the game itself passes off without any security concerns.

Left by mutual consent!
    Shame allowing what happened on Monday to continue to decide how we live our lives.

What a shame that this is what it has come to, but it is totally understandable.

I do think they need to put something out now, even if it makes them look daft when they get 5 or 6 put past them.

Not sure what to make of this. I'd be quite disappointed if Hibs did this.

Ultimately, they are thinking of the safety of the fans, but we can't let these *******s change our traditions and the way we live our lives.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar

I would imagine is precautions were already in place to that, as well as anti terrorism measures though both may have been stepped up. A cup parade would involve a lot of short notice planning and deployment making it harder to coordinate with other events ongoing just now I would imagine.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    Not sure what to make of this. I'd be quite disappointed if Hibs did this.

Ultimately, they are thinking of the safety of the fans, but we can't let these *******s change our traditions and the way we live our lives.
    There is no difference from fans attending a parade than those same poople going to a large shopping center.

If the players do not want to then ok, if it were Hibs and we still decided to parade cup I would be front and center.

Unfortunately if you choose to leave the house and go shopping, out eating, cinema you are putting yourself in the 1/1000000 position of there being an incident. The odds are likely ecen higher than that and I am comfortable going about things as is. I understand other people do not feel same tbough.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 25-05-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Giving in to fear, that's what they want us to do.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that? Neither Celtic or Rangers do bus parades after trophy wins as far as I can recall.

Chelsea have also called off their title-winning bus parade so I can only guess that it's the level of police resource required for such events that differentiates them from things like the bike race mentioned.

Whatever, it's another sorry indication that for all the talk of 'going about our lives as normal to prove that terrorism will never win' we do actually see our day to day lives changed by such murderous acts. A great shame for the Aberdeen fans in the (albeit unlikely) event that they win the cup.

My main hope is that the game itself passes off without any security concerns.
    Re 1st bit.. I'm never that interested in what they do to be honest so didn't realise they never held any events but one of the so called contributory factors to last years "invasion" was the reduced police presence due to some of them heading off to Ibrox.

So what I'm meaning is....
    If Celtc were intending doing anything at all that will take policing away from the BAU activities what will their response be to the Aberdeen decision?
    Last edited by Just Alf; 25-05-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Saves the football club the hassle of trying to organise something thats not going to happen anyway

First Team Breakthrough
    Re 1st bit.. I'm never that interested in what they do to be honest so didn't realise they never held any events but one of the so called contributory factors to last years "invasion" was the reduced police presence due to some of them heading off to Ibrox.

So what I'm meaning is....
    If Celtc were intending doing anything at all that will take policing away from the BAU activities what will their response be to the Aberdeen decision?
    The don't do parades but they normally take the cup back to their stadium and let the fans in there, that's apparently why the police left to head to Ibrox last year. Celtic have released a statement saying they won't be doing that this year and they have cancelled a parade they were doing before a legends match on the Sunday too. The wording is very similar to Aberdeen's statement so it sounds like this was all discussed and decided upon before the two clubs released the statements

Quote Originally Posted by HibsNutter View Post
    Terrorist acts make it easier for terrorists to recruit and for governments to govern populations in more volatile times, by passing repressive laws and curtailing assembly. They win - citizens lose.

I don't think it's 'giving in to fear'.

Such events require a relatively sizeable police presence. With the threat level being raised a lot of Police will be deployed elsewhere and they may have advised both clubs they would be unable to man such an event properly.

With hundreds of Police still watching videos and manning the grass line from last seasons final there aren't a lot of men to spare.

I'm not sure what all this "giving in to fear" chat is all about....

It has been stated by all clubs involved (Chelsea, Celtic and Aberdeen) that the reason they have cancelled the events is so they don't need to withdraw police resources from other areas to cope with the crowd this placing other areas under threat.

I'd be disappointed if it was us but it's a sensible decision given the terror threat being critical at the moment and the lack of police resources we have. What does annoy me is why there aren't any army patrols in and around the country right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    I'm not sure what all this "giving in to fear" chat is all about....

It has been stated by all clubs involved (Chelsea, Celtic and Aberdeen) that the reason they have cancelled the events is so they don't need to withdraw police resources from other areas to cope with the crowd this placing other areas under threat.

I'd be disappointed if it was us but it's a sensible decision given the terror threat being critical at the moment and the lack of police resources we have. What does annoy me is why there aren't any army patrols in and around the country right now.
    The Scottish Government is happy that Police Scotland can cope without army help.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Shame allowing what happened on Monday to continue to decide how we live our lives.
    When it comes down to it it's better to be safe than sorry though isn't it?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Absolute nonsense imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    When it comes down to it it's better to be safe than sorry though isn't it?
    We could all stay in, lock the doors and windows and refuse to answer the doorbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    We could all stay in, lock the doors and windows and refuse to answer the doorbell.
    That's common behaviour in Aberdeen when charity collectors are doing the rounds.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Wonder if any parades will be cancelled around 12 July ?

Coaching Staff
    Crazy decision.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The Scottish Government is happy that Police Scotland can cope without army help.
    I had a chat with one of the armed police keeping watch in Perth High Street today. He hadn't heard the Aberdeen statement and was a bit unhappy as he was intending taking his son to see the Dons parade the cup, he will also be at Hampden in the Aberdeen end.

He as happy to chat as they (armed response unit) are normally sitting in cars or vans doing very little. Being out an interacting with the public is a good PR exercise for them.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by ALF TUPPER View Post
    Wonder if any parades will be cancelled around 12 July ?

Yeah, surely that takes police resources that could have been deployed elsewhere anaw.

@hibs.net private member
    Celtic have their first ever one planned for Sunday but it's a 10 minute joint not through the city or Bridgeton according Celtic ST holders I know

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsNutter View Post
    Exactly how I feel.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    That's not what I'm saying is it though? Not in the slightest. In light of recent events it's sensible to not give these *******s a chance to do something else. In the long term maybe have a parade later on in the summer when the intelligence services have had a chance to break doors down.