hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure what to make of this. I'd be quite disappointed if Hibs did this.

Ultimately, they are thinking of the safety of the fans, but we can't let these *******s change our traditions and the way we live our lives.
    Got to agree.
    Let's just grind the country to a halt.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsNutter View Post
    Giving in to fear, that's what they want us to do.
    Often hear this line trotted out by politicians.

They want to kill us. We should be doing the same to them.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    There is no difference from fans attending a parade than those same poople going to a large shopping center.

If the players do not want to then ok, if it were Hibs and we still decided to parade cup I would be front and center.

Unfortunately if you choose to leave the house and go shopping, out eating, cinema you are putting yourself in the 1/1000000 position of there being an incident. The odds are likely ecen higher than that and I am comfortable going about things as is. I understand other people do not feel same tbough.
    I agree in that sense, even having the game in a full stadium is a potential target to this sort of lowlives. I can kind of see how they might feel a mass celebration doesn't seem right a few days after a terrible national attack though when many people are mourning in their own way.

I'm maybe being callous but to make decision not to have a parade in the event they win the cup is just downright wrong.

I know it's not the same circumstances as ours but Aberdeen haven't won the cup for over 20 years and I'm sure if they did win, their fans would have the same or similar feelings of euphoria as we did last year. Similar to us, a generation of their fans haven't had that cup winning feeling and denying the possibility of celebrating the day after is imo a cowardly decision. They may never get a chance to do it for many years again. Who knows?

Let's face it, there was as much chance of a terrorist attack taking place on 22/5/16 as there might be this coming Sunday. Can anyone truthfully say that that possibility/probability crossed our minds last year? Would it / did it stop any of us congregating down at Leith Links?

NO!!!

And it shouldn't influence what happens (or doesn't) in Aberdeen on Sunday.

Left by mutual consent!
    Perhaps use some of the Police who have been pursuing those who invaded the pitch last year. No stone left with that mob

Guess this is more to do with having the resource to plan and police it given the current state ... police scotland officers for example have been told that they could be moving to 12hr shifts with all leave/days off cancelled at any moment.

Don't under estimate how much resource these events would take up therefor stopping police protecting us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Often hear this line trotted out by politicians.

They want to kill us. We should be doing the same to them.
    We do the same to them that's part of the reason they attack Britain. 000s of civilians have been killed by Britain and USA in Syria the last few years.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It's a shame this decision has been taken, but with the national threat level now at critical, it's understandable. In any event, a victory parade is something the Dons probably won't need to worry about.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    It's a shame this decision has been taken, but with the national threat level now at critical, it's understandable. In any event, a victory parade is something the Dons probably won't need to worry about.
    I think the threat levels are sort of irrelevant what was the threat level on Monday afternoon I wonder? Anyways this could go on and on very sad to have to discuss it my opinion is as ever carry on.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    I think the threat levels are sort of irrelevant what was the threat level on Monday afternoon I wonder? Anyways this could go on and on very sad to have to discuss it my opinion is as ever carry on.
    It's a fair point; the odds of a terrorist attack on the day are minimal, but in the aftermath of a suicide bombing rational thinking is another casualty.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

If the decision has been taken due to lack of police resources then its understandable.

If the decision has been taken in fear that some radicalised Loon or Quine might decide to target the parade based on the fact that a deranged nut case 400 miles away chose last Monday to do what he did I don't agree with it in the slightest ..... even given the events of last Monday I highly doubt an Aberdeen cup parade would be any more or less of a target than it would have been at any time.

Its my guess that the former is the reason for this decision ..... if its the latter, what happened to not giving in to terror?

I would be absolutely gutted if this had happened to us last year.

I can understand it but I don't agree with it. The restructure of the Police in Scotland to a single national force was supposed to make situations like this easier as they could pull resources from all over the country and not just from a particular area.

I understand that resources will stretched just now and that we remain at the highest terror threat level available however Police Scotland is the second largest Police force in the UK so I'm a bit disappointed at this as it runs contrary to the reasons for the restructuring in my opinion.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Let's face it, there was as much chance of a terrorist attack taking place on 22/5/16 as there might be this coming Sunday. Can anyone truthfully say that that possibility/probability crossed our minds last year? Would it / did it stop any of us congregating down at Leith Links?

NO!!!

And it shouldn't influence what happens (or doesn't) in Aberdeen on Sunday.
    It's an issue probably best debated on the Holy Ground forum (where there's already a big thread on the Manchester horror and where I've also posed a similar question), but I do wonder how confidently we would continue to claim we'd still attend cup finals/parades etc if terrorism like this were to escalate in the UK.

What I mean is, how many more similar attacks to Manchester would there need to be before you DID start to question whether you'd keep attending regardless? Since the London 7/7 bombings we've had a series of smaller but nevertheless frightening incidents such as Glasgow Airport (which had the potential to be much worse), the Lee Rigby murder, the Westminster attack just a couple of months back and now the atrocity in Manchester. It seems to me that the fact these incidents are, as yet, relatively rare, means that most of us retain enough confidence to carry on with our lives as normal.

In the nightmarish event that there WAS an attack on Hampden or Wembley this weekend, coming so soon after Manchester would we start to re-evaluate our 'keep calm and carry on' stance when it comes to going to watch football?

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    It's an issue probably best debated on the Holy Ground forum (where there's already a big thread on the Manchester horror and where I've also posed a similar question), but I do wonder how confidently we would continue to claim we'd still attend cup finals/parades etc if terrorism like this were to escalate in the UK.

What I mean is, how many more similar attacks to Manchester would there need to be before you DID start to question whether you'd keep attending regardless? Since the London 7/7 bombings we've had a series of smaller but nevertheless frightening incidents such as Glasgow Airport (which had the potential to be much worse), the Lee Rigby murder, the Westminster attack just a couple of months back and now the atrocity in Manchester. It seems to me that the fact these incidents are, as yet, relatively rare, means that most of us retain enough confidence to carry on with our lives as normal.

In the nightmarish event that there WAS an attack on Hampden or Wembley this weekend, coming so soon after Manchester would we start to re-evaluate our 'keep calm and carry on' stance when it comes to going to watch football?
    Yes absolutely 100%.

I've never thought twice about going on a plane since 2001, I've never thought twice about going on public transport since 2005 and I wouldn't think twice about going to a music concert or a football match since Monday night either.

If you let these people dictate what you do in your day to day life then they've won. They want to strike fear into people that's the purpose of these attacks and Hell will freeze over before I'll let them make me hide away and stop doing the things I like to do.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Wonder what the Celtc response will be to this?
    4-0 trouncing.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

Aye we might as well stay in bed.

More chance of getting killed crossing the road. I still do that.

Someone posted on twitter a screenshot of the glasgow planning website and shows around 10 orange order marches scheduled for this weekend.

Be raging if your a tim or don and you can't have a victory parade but police scotland can find the resources to police those inbred f*****s.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    Someone posted on twitter a screenshot of the glasgow planning website and shows around 10 orange order marches scheduled for this weekend.

Be raging if your a tim or don and you can't have a victory parade but police scotland can find the resources to police those inbred f*****s.
    http://www.bandparades.co.uk/calenda.../scotland/list

Clarkston and Rutherglen for starters
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post

I think the difference is the club's have chosen to be responsible & not stretch resources, these clowns on the other hand are never likely to give a toss about anyone but themselves & their right to match "the queen's highway".

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I don't think it's 'giving in to fear'.

Such events require a relatively sizeable police presence. With the threat level being raised a lot of Police will be deployed elsewhere and they may have advised both clubs they would be unable to man such an event properly.

With hundreds of Police still watching videos and manning the grass line from last seasons final there aren't a lot of men to spare.
    This should come as a reminder to the police that they are wasting resources on last year's final. Fingers crossed.

@hibs.net private member
    No need to worry about a parade now. Always feel the Glasgow clubs miss out on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    No need to worry about a parade now. Always feel the Glasgow clubs miss out on the day.
    They bring it on themselves. No sympathy for them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    They bring it on themselves. No sympathy for them.
    Didn't say I sympathised. :-) Though I heard the new club were going to do it last year. It was organised with 15 minutes to go, supposedly.

Ian Hislop on HIGNFY got the mood of the week right IMO when he said 'it's been a terrible week, but we are still allowed to laugh and enjoy ourselves, aren't we!' The parade should have gone ahead as normal imo.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Didn't say I sympathised. :-) Though I heard the new club were going to do it last year. It was organised with 15 minutes to go, supposedly.
    You didn't, chief, I was just in a bad mood. Sorry!

@hibs.net private member
    No need to apologise. Had a smiley on it

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    You didn't, chief, I was just in a bad mood. Sorry!