hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Difficult to believe you actually wrote this and still posted it ...

Its called nuance.

Shouting something down as 'nazi', especiallu when what was being discussed was nothing of the sort, is peurile.

My post was merely trying to highlight the stupidity of that line of argument.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member PeeJay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Its called nuance.

Shouting something down as 'nazi', especiallu when what was being discussed was nothing of the sort, is peurile.

My post was merely trying to highlight the stupidity of that line of argument.
    By posting something equally stupid?

Testimonial Due
    By posting something equally stupid?
    Yes!! Im not sure it worked though...

Yes!! Im not sure it worked though...

Well, writing "Not every policy of the Nazis was bad" without qualifying it seems to me to be a more worrying "line of argument" to adopt than the one you were initially criticising ...

By the way, "The Nuremberg Laws" of 1935 was a Nazi policy that stripped Jews of their citizenship - so no "may have been" about it - Seems to me HB was entitled to query the post suggesting this was "nonsense" and NYH was entitled to make the initial reference ...

Testimonial Due
    Well, writing "Not every policy of the Nazis was bad" without qualifying it seems to me to be a more worrying "line of argument" to adopt than the one you were initially criticising ...

By the way, "The Nuremberg Laws" of 1935 was a Nazi policy that stripped Jews of their citizenship - so no "may have been" about it - Seems to me HB was entitled to query the post suggesting this was "nonsense" and NYH was entitled to make the initial reference ...
    I concede the point, there was a logic to it in my head, but i didnt really pit it across very well, amd obviously once Goodwin's Law has been evoked, and the 'N' word is in play, it is difficult to continie the discussion without finding yourself in the bizarre position of appearing to defend the nazis, which i think and hope goes without saying wasnt my intention.

And i said 'may' because i genuinely didnt know for sure, i was taking Hibrandenburgs word for it, not disputing it.

I concede the point, there was a logic to it in my head, but i didnt really pit it across very well, amd obviously once Goodwin's Law has been evoked, and the 'N' word is in play, it is difficult to continie the discussion without finding yourself in the bizarre position of appearing to defend the nazis, which i think and hope goes without saying wasnt my intention.

And i said 'may' because i genuinely didnt know for sure, i was taking Hibrandenburgs word for it, not disputing it.
    Alles klar ...

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    It may have been, yes.

So were having schools, building roads and collecting taxes.

I assume we think we should still do these, even though the Nazis did them too?

Ergo not ever policy of the Nazis was bad?
    Ah, the good old "the Nazis weren't all bad because they built the Autobahns" argument. C'mon tae f...

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Ah, the good old "the Nazis weren't all bad because they built the Autobahns" argument. C'mon tae f...
    Thats not what i said.

We both agree the nazis were bad ( statement of the obvious i presume).

But i also assume we both agree that building roads isnt a bad policy per se? Even although the nazis built roads, it doesnt tar all future road building as a nazi policy?

So can we agree that an individual policy pursued under the nazis can be a good policy when taken in isolation, without legitimising the regime enacting the policy?

A kind of 'stopped clocks are right twice a day' theory?

Thats not what i said.

We both agree the nazis were bad ( statement of the obvious i presume).

But i also assume we both agree that building roads isnt a bad policy per se? Even although the nazis built roads, it doesnt tar all future road building as a nazi policy?

So can we agree that an individual policy pursued under the nazis can be a good policy when taken in isolation, without legitimising the regime enacting the policy?

A kind of 'stopped clocks are right twice a day' theory?
    But you can't separate the two, you just have to ask the question who built the roads for the Nazis, who was sent to work in their factories?

Testimonial Due
    But you can't separate the two, you just have to ask the question who built the roads for the Nazis, who was sent to work in their factories?
    Of course you can, you have to, we all do everyday.

So are you saying that building roads, as a policy, is bad and 'nazi'?

Bet you're regretting bringing them up now. Lolz.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar

Increased road building only provides room for more cars and increased polution from emissions so you could be right
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

No, but Hitlers economical success that allowed him to build Autobahns and reestablish Germany as a military might was partly facilitated by compulsory acquisition of Jewish property and the overuse of resources that then required them to seek military expansion, the two are interwoven and can't and shouldn't be separated.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Bet you're regretting bringing them up now. Lolz.
    Not half...

To be fair i didnt bring them up, but i wished id ignored it!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Increased road building only provides room for more cars and increased polution from emissions so you could be right
    The diesel holocaust!

Testimonial Due
    No, but Hitlers economical success that allowed him to build Autobahns and reestablish Germany as a military might was partly facilitated by compulsory acquisition of Jewish property and the overuse of resources that then required them to seek military expansion, the two are interwoven and can't and shouldn't be separated.
    Ok, so are you saying that no road can ever be built anywhere, because the nazis used stolen wealth to fund theirs?

This is a stupid argument, quite obviously a policy can be a good policy, even if the nazis also pursued it, which was my original point.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    The diesel holocaust!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKggnBh2Mdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVRctkOATxg

#Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Ok, so are you saying that no road can ever be built anywhere, because the nazis used stolen wealth to fund theirs?

This is a stupid argument, quite obviously a policy can be a good policy, even if the nazis also pursued it, which was my original point.
    No that's stupid. But wasn't it you who deflected from the subject of removing people's citizenship to building roads

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Thread hijack, but so good to hear Handy Man again.

Testimonial Due
    No that's stupid. But wasn't it you who deflected from the subject of removing people's citizenship to building roads
    Yes, by arguing that the lazy shout of "the nazis had that policy" doesnt habe to mean it is, or was a bad policy per se.

Yes, by arguing that the lazy shout of "the nazis had that policy" doesnt habe to mean it is, or was a bad policy per se.
    It's not Lazy though and has direct connotations and consequences to many people, it's also lazily ridiculous to compare removing someone's citizenship with building roads.

So stripping people of their citizenship wasn't a Nazi policy?
    So was the hunting law that the Nazi party started in 1934 and many Western countries adopted this too..

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    So was the hunting law that the Nazi party started in 1934 and many Western countries adopted this too..
    Like road building hunting laws are hardly comparable to stripping people of their citizenship and hardly something you would immediately associate with fascism, unless of course that you'd like to argue that the Nazis weren't all bad because they did do some positive things too?

Testimonial Due
    It's not Lazy though and has direct connotations and consequences to many people, it's also lazily ridiculous to compare removing someone's citizenship with building roads.
    By all means debate, and dispute the merits of removing someone's citizenship. The point about roads was to prove the priciple that shouting "the nazis did that" doesnt automatically disqualify an idea from being a good one.

I dont see any direct consequences or connotations.

The UK had many flaws, but descending into facism as happened in Germany isnt likely to be one of them imo

I think it is lazy in this situation imo. It shuts down debate, amd draws at best, tangential lines between the wholesale persecution of a religious minority in 1930s Germany, with the deliberate murder and terrorism by a religious minority of in many cases, their own country in 2017 UK.

Just my view, but it adds little to the debate, and means peolle become scared to habe discussion for fear of being labelled a nazi apologist, or some such.
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 26-05-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Like road building hunting laws are hardly comparable to stripping people of their citizenship and hardly something you would immediately associate with fascism, unless of course that you'd like to argue that the Nazis weren't all bad because they did do some positive things too?
    Jeez. I give up.

You originally made a comment towards a poster I thought was nonsense ( and still do), and myself & others pointed out that nazi policies are everywhere to this day.
    That is all.
    Last edited by Swedish hibee; 27-05-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Nobody is arguing your last point - you are constantly building strawman arguments.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    imo an acceptable sentence for another would-be bomber, if he actually serves 15 years http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40059351

A student who made a bomb filled with ball bearings and left it on a Tube train has been jailed for 15 years.

Damon Smith put his homemade device into a rucksack and left it on a Jubilee Line train in October 2016.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    imo an acceptable sentence for another would-be bomber, if he actually serves 15 years http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40059351

A student who made a bomb filled with ball bearings and left it on a Tube train has been jailed for 15 years.

Damon Smith put his homemade device into a rucksack and left it on a Jubilee Line train in October 2016.

Yes, but he'll be released at the latest when he's 39, and what reason does anyone have for believing he won't still be suffering from the same disorder then, and still likely to find a 'smoke bomb' filled with ball-bearings a hugely amusing 'prank' to play on commuters? Life under supervision would have been more sensible.

"Once one accepts that one has bear-hugged full-blown barking there is great comfort in the bright lights and noises of the wibble-wibble show ..."

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Yes, but he'll be released at the latest when he's 39, and what reason does anyone have for believing he won't still be suffering from the same disorder then, and still likely to find a 'smoke bomb' filled with ball-bearings a hugely amusing 'prank' to play on commuters? Life under supervision would have been more sensible.
    Why take the risk? Life in jail. The guy tried ti kill and maim dozens.

I wonder what the average sentence is for attempted murder?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Why take the risk? Life in jail. The guy tried ti kill and maim dozens.

I wonder what the average sentence is for attempted murder?

Like the average sentence for murder - not enough. The law sometimes seems to have more respect for the life of the killer than for that of the killed.

"Once one accepts that one has bear-hugged full-blown barking there is great comfort in the bright lights and noises of the wibble-wibble show ..."