hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think he'll be decent up here to be honest. Don't get me wrong it's not got me quaking in my boots but I don't think he'll be the disaster that some are predicting.

I don't fully understand giving a 32 year old a 3 year deal though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I posted earlier that it was Theo Robinson and Matt Reade that ran them ragged.. (Theo anyway)
    Reade is a really skilful player for his size. Robinson was probably the best player in lincolns cup run.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Reade is a really skilful player for his size. Robinson was probably the best player in lincolns cup run. Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    He was but sure he didn't see it to the end, signing for a League club in the transfer window!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    He was but sure he didn't see it to the end, signing for a League club in the transfer window!
    Yep, got himself a decent move to Southend. Imps weren't happy with the timing but never impacted much on their league season in the end

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Middle name is Didier. That's relevant because he's about the only signing that could have made their defence Didier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Yep, got himself a decent move to Southend. Imps weren't happy with the timing but never impacted much on their league season in the end Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    I knew he had signed for someone but couldn't remember who for!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He'll do fine for them, dunno why folk go on so much about pace for defenders. He was never quick and made a good career for himself. None of the top defenders in the world are quick.
    Agreed, he was never that quick and so I'm really looking forward to his reaction when he realises that, this time around at the PBS, all of his team-mates are of a calibre that Hearts can actually afford - the shock may be too much for him ?

Don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but is that hearts pushing out the boat again for players on extortionate salaries? Berra must have been on a few quid at Ipswich. Either that or he's quite happy to take a massive wage cut.
    I've watch a lot of Berra and I've never been impressed. Loves a long ball, quite erratic at times but might be ok in a poorer league.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    My opinion that Berra is rotten is based on my eyes telling me so.

Nothing to do with allegencies or past playing history.

The guy is a mistake maker, a poor footballer and god only knows how he has stayed a pro for so long.

It was rife in the Scotland Squads that he was in that he was the laughing stock he was that bad.

3 - year deal after problems Hearts have had with other underperforming players on long contracts suggests bigger clubs will have offered him shorter deals .

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiehibs View Post
    Don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but is that hearts pushing out the boat again for players on extortionate salaries? Berra must have been on a few quid at Ipswich. Either that or he's quite happy to take a massive wage cut.
    I've watch a lot of Berra and I've never been impressed. Loves a long ball, quite erratic at times but might be ok in a poorer league.
    Was just thinking much the same... a poor season and all of a sudden it's a crowd pleaser with a "marquee" signing.

Can't imagine he'll be on buttons. I would thin they could have got more for their money here and the signing looks like a knee jerk reaction that lacks imagination.

It will please their fans though as they'll take the view that they are back to signing full international players....

Might have to trim the spec of that stand to pay for it though...

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    3 - year deal after problems Hearts have had with other underperforming players on long contracts suggests bigger clubs will have offered him shorter deals .
    I don't think we offered him anything

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    I don't think we offered him anything

We told Lee Wallace that we'd offered a 2 year deal. Then it took its own course.

@hibs.net private member
    I hate to say it but I think Berra will be a very good signing for Hearts. I would imagine he'll play alongside Souttar rather than Hughes. I'm more concerned about who we are signing rather than who Hearts are though and if Lenny is going for 2nd place, Aberdeen are the yardstick not Hearts.

Promising Youngster dunedinhibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Hibernianfcggtth
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    I hate to say it but I think Berra will be a very good signing for Hearts. I would imagine he'll play alongside Souttar rather than Hughes. I'm more concerned about who we are signing rather than who Hearts are though and if Lenny is going for 2nd place, Aberdeen are the yardstick not Hearts.
    This. Totally agree.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He was half decent when he left them, now he's back at 32 and probably a bit more wiser. He's an improvement on what they have, but he's no world beater, just an old player who was ok that's returned.

He's hardly got me sheiting myself.

Be a decent signing to play along side Souttar with Hughes as back up. Big improvement on the others theyve been using.

Played at a higher level and been a constant in the Ipswich team, should stroll the top league up here.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    His age is irrelevant to me as are his previous clubs in formulating my opinion of him.

I appreciate that in playing for Scotland he is largely playing against players of a higher standard than he will face in the SPL but he is also playing with better players than he will play with, who cover up his shortcomings better.

Will he be the worst centre half in the league, No

But he wont be the best centre half in the capital either.

I rather suspect that he is finding the Championship increasingly difficult and has moved on before he got found out.

I suspect he will get found out a bit in the SPL also.

I don't understand the criticism aimed at The Famous for resigning Berra.

After all he's only 32 and has been reasonably successful at a decent level in England.

He's a similar age and played at the same level as Joey Barton and look at the raging success of a season he had at The Rangers.

Left by mutual consent!
    'Is Christope bait to sell season tickets'

It was almost 'coffee spluttered over monitor' time !. This was posted in the 'Scotsman's article on them signing Berra - one of them genuinely thinks Berra is some sort of attraction/draw, a 'name' !! I've politely asked (EEN doesn't approve of WTF) just what is they muppets see on a pitch that the more 'grounded', realistic fan doesn't ?? Still waiting on a reply !

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    Agree decent signing unless 10k a week. Who cares all about us. We dont need ch well covered in that area.

Testimonial Due Tha Cabbage Kid's Avatar
    Anyone who thinks Berra is horrific is delusional!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Cabbage Kid View Post
    Anyone who thinks Berra is horrific is delusional!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
    Well that'll be that then, just close the thread. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Well that'll be that then, just close the thread. 😂
    I've seen him and the rest of the Ipswich defence, first hand, not coping very well with lincoln city.

Admittedly it was only two games but I was expecting better given the apparent gulf between the sides and Berra's history but was left thinking he / they weren't very good. No leadership on the pitch which is odd for a Mccarthy team.

Opinion based on what I seen rather than anything else.

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    He'll be a good signing for them but if he's their 'marquee signing' this year then I'll be delighted.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Blog Entries
    Good signing. He was decent when last there and, despite the Strachan factor, most International call-ups have something to offer. Don't give that lot the satisfaction of believing we are remotely concerned, by indiscriminatingly rubbishing him.

@hibs.net private member
    He's not that great to be honest. Might do a decent job in the Scottish Premiership, but he's not near as good as McGregor or Hanlon.

Quote from Berra in the EEN

"“We all know it’s difficult to topple Celtic at the moment but we want to be challenging Aberdeen and Rangers to get back to where we belong, qualifying for Europe."

Read more at: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...arts-1-4456156

so the Jamboids don't even see us as threat next year...

@hibs.net private member renato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    Quote from Berra in the EEN

"“We all know it’s difficult to topple Celtic at the moment but we want to be challenging Aberdeen and Rangers to get back to where we belong, qualifying for Europe."

Read more at: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...arts-1-4456156

so the Jamboids don't even see us as threat next year...
    Just saw that too. That's fine though, I hope their whole team has the same opinion....they'll get a wee shock in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by renato View Post
    Just saw that too. That's fine though, I hope their whole team has the same opinion....they'll get a wee shock in that case.
    My thinking as well, could be that they're hoping to distract the believers from the reality of their standing against us recently?

They've got expensive season tickets to sell, cakes to get baked and so much more cash to extract from the idiots before a ball is kicked.

Sir Matt Busby