hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeh, some good points there. I wouldn't be too disappointed in Thistlecrack, first time back for ages and first time over hurdles probably since he won at the Cheltenham Festival a couple of seasons ago (unless he ran at Aintree after the festival). I would be more concerned with UknowwhatImeanHarry, he was race fit and beaten fair and square, although conceding 6 lbs.
    Good points. Thistlecrack was coming back after a long lay off and injury that is a valid excuse for being beaten by an outsider. His best form could reappear after this run which will undoubtedly put him back into racing mode.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Very unsatisfactory race for numerous reasons. In saying that the winner hardly touched a twig all the way round and deserved its victory.

Left by mutual consent!
    The Ladbrokes Trophy today went to favourite Total Recall. i was on Singlefarmpayment who when coming through the field with a strong surge overreached for a fence and unfortunately fell when coming with a strong late run. Obviously its unknown whether or not he would have won but I'll be on this one in the Welsh National on December 27th at a big priced 33/1. Total Recall stayed on well to beat Whisper by a couple of lengths.

Although Thistlecraxk will undoubtably come on for the run I certainly couldn’t back him for the King George now. Got a feeling connections will be slightly disappointed with the run.

Total Recall won but Whisper is the one to take from that race giving him 14lbs and probably wins with a bit in hand level weights.

I was on American yesterday who was a very good novice last year. He made a bad mistake 6 out that cost him about 5 places and never got going again, whether he was ever going to be competitive even without the mistake is debatable anyway.

Whisper is definitely one to take from the race. He ran Might Bite, generally short odds favourite for the King George, very close at Cheltenham last season. Although Might Bite ran all over the place after the last that is still good form and he loses nothing falling just short yesterda6 considering the swing in the weights.

The Bradstocks have also reported Coneygree needed the vet post race as he was struggling to breathe and they wanted him checked over. I believe he spent the night in an equine hospital. A mate of mine said after the Gold Cup that the way he ran the race would take so much out of him that he would never win another race of note, I was sceptical at the time but he’s looking spot on at the moment.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    A mate of mine said after the Gold Cup that the way he ran the race would take so much out of him that he would never win another race of note, I was sceptical at the time but he’s looking spot on at the moment.
    I have the same feeling about Thistlecrack after Cheltenham last January, outbattled by Many Clouds in a race only just shy of the Gold Cup distance.
    Really hope I am wrong, as everyone loves seeing real superstar horses, but his return at Newbury the other day didnt give a huge amount for optimism.
    When you look at the subsequent careers of recent Gold Cup and National winners, the likes of Kauto Star and Denman turning up year on year and being competitive was some achievement by horse and trainer.

Left by mutual consent!
    Fox Norton came up just short against the very good Nichols horse Politologue today in the Tingle Creek. Despite being beaten I think he'll come on for the run and could give a decent account of himself in the King George. Blaklion won the Bechers with a bit in hand and looks as if he'll be one of the shorter priced horses for the Grand National next year.

Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    Fox Norton came up just short against the very good Nichols horse Politologue today in the Tingle Creek. Despite being beaten I think he'll come on for the run and could give a decent account of himself in the King George. Blaklion won the Bechers with a bit in hand and looks as if he'll be one of the shorter priced horses for the Grand National next year.
    I think today’s Tingle Creek confirms there are a couple of 2 mile chasers who when fit and on form are miles ahead of the rest. Politologue is a very decent horse but whether he’s a genuine Grade 1 horse is up for debate imo. I’m not sure Fox Norton has 3 miles in him but he was certainly rallying late on today so you never know. I’d be asking a few questions of Robbie Power who seemed to take a long time to start stoking him up and Politologue, a notoriously poor finisher, was allowed to get a good run on them up the hill. As an aside it was very sad to see Sir Valentino fatally injured in the race. but credit to Adrian Heskin who gave up his ride in the final race to stay with the horse to the end. He was treated for almost an hour on course so the vets gave him every chance; the tough side of the sport sadly.

In other races, no way will Finians Oscar go to the Arkle. I couldn’t quite work out what he was doing in that race today over 2 miles and his performance confirmed that. Totally outpaced and he’s a 3 miler in time, wouldn’t surprise me to see him in the Kauto Star/Feltham at Kempton on Boxing Day. Sceau Royal was an impressive winner. Blacklion was impressive and perhaps the extra year will help his stamina and get him home, I thought he was paddling after 2 out in the National last season after flying round the far side of the course and he never really got home. I worry he will end up very high in the weights for the National and that could prove decisive. It’s hard to work out the form of that race today between the top 2. The Last Samurai was giving away 6lbs but loves the heavy going whilst Blacklion probably benefited from having less weight on his back in that bog. Definitly Red was also very good in his race over the Mildmay course but I’d be surprised to see him in the National again this year.

Season really starting to shape up now and I can’t wait for Kempton in a couple of weeks.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    I think today’s Tingle Creek confirms there are a couple of 2 mile chasers who when fit and on form are miles ahead of the rest. Politologue is a very decent horse but whether he’s a genuine Grade 1 horse is up for debate imo. I’m not sure Fox Norton has 3 miles in him but he was certainly rallying late on today so you never know. I’d be asking a few questions of Robbie Power who seemed to take a long time to start stoking him up and Politologue, a notoriously poor finisher, was allowed to get a good run on them up the hill. As an aside it was very sad to see Sir Valentino fatally injured in the race. but credit to Adrian Heskin who gave up his ride in the final race to stay with the horse to the end. He was treated for almost an hour on course so the vets gave him every chance; the tough side of the sport sadly.

In other races, no way will Finians Oscar go to the Arkle. I couldn’t quite work out what he was doing in that race today over 2 miles and his performance confirmed that. Totally outpaced and he’s a 3 miler in time, wouldn’t surprise me to see him in the Kauto Star/Feltham at Kempton on Boxing Day. Sceau Royal was an impressive winner. Blacklion was impressive and perhaps the extra year will help his stamina and get him home, I thought he was paddling after 2 out in the National last season after flying round the far side of the course and he never really got home. I worry he will end up very high in the weights for the National and that could prove decisive. It’s hard to work out the form of that race today between the top 2. The Last Samurai was giving away 6lbs but loves the heavy going whilst Blacklion probably benefited from having less weight on his back in that bog. Definitly Red was also very good in his race over the Mildmay course but I’d be surprised to see him in the National again this year.

Season really starting to shape up now and I can’t wait for Kempton in a couple of weeks.
    Yes. It's difficult to truly assess Fox Norton on today's race and I was giving him the benefit of the doubt especially given your point regarding the Jockey's pretty unorthodox riding of the horse in getting him going. These type races are mostly for getting the horses fit of course and today will have stood him in good stead.

I too am really looking forward to the Boxing Day racing cards, its one of the best days of the year with lots of good meetings on with the King George certain to be a cracking race.
    Last edited by Tornadoes70; 09-12-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Boxing Day is the best sporting day of the year, love it!

What a performance from Highland Reel (on his final run) and Ryan Moore @ Sha Tin, I love that horse, what a machine.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 10-12-2017 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    What a performance from Highland Reel (on his final run) and Ryan Moore @ Sha Tin, I love that horse, what a machine.
    A brilliant horse who always gave his all, unfortunately in a lot of the big races it was clearly on ground that was totally unsuitable to him, but fitting that a horse like that wins a major prize in his last race.

2 big clashes missed out on on Boxing Day with Sizing John not going in the King George and Mullins confirming Faugheen will stay in Ireland as well.

Really really annoys me when trainers opt for the penalty kick of races. Horses legacies are based on who they beat, how many times and how the beat them. Dodging clashes until Cheltenham is very boring. I can imagine Faugheen, Buvear D’air and Sizing John go off easily odds on and leave no market for the punter in these races.

Left by mutual consent!
    Extremely sad today to watch a very good horse Starchitect storm clear of the field in the Cheltenham Caspian Caviar Gold Cup only to then break a hind leg when appearing as if he would run on for certain victory and then be put down out of his pain and misery.

Its always upsetting for racing followers to see horses pass on but it was even more so in this case when the very unfortunate injury occurred when the horse was running on the wet greasy turf after accelerating well clear of the rest with the race at his mercy and then seemed to stumble with his hind legs collapsing awkwardly beneath him which must have caused the break.

Very sad indeed.

Extremely sad today to watch a very good horse Starchitect storm clear of the field in the Cheltenham Caspian Caviar Gold Cup only to then break a hind leg when appearing as if he would run on for certain victory and then be put down out of his pain and misery.

Its always upsetting for racing followers to see horses pass on but it was even more so in this case when the very unfortunate injury occurred when the horse was running on the wet greasy turf after accelerating well clear of the rest with the race at his mercy and then seemed to stumble with his hind legs collapsing awkwardly beneath him which must have caused the break.

Very sad indeed.
    Wasn't good at all. A freak accident but horrible to see.

I see the once brilliant Sire De Grugy has been retired after he struggled again in another handicap. Good decision given he isn't going to be competitive in grade 1s or 2s anymore but will be saddled with big weights in handicaps for the forseeable. He is to stay with the Moores. My favourite quote about the horse comes from Jamie Moores wife who said 'there's nothing I like more than a trip to Sandown where I can watch the big screen and see my husband enjoying a day out with the love of his life.'

It was also great to see 2 old boys show the youngsters a thing or 2 in the International Hurdle with My Tent or Yours just beating The New One. 7 2nds in the last 4 years, which included nearly 2 years out injured, so he earned that. I love how Nicky Henderson wears his heart on his sleeve and he was in tears again when the horse just got in front.

Wasn't good at all. A freak accident but horrible to see.

I see the once brilliant Sire De Grugy has been retired after he struggled again in another handicap. Good decision given he isn't going to be competitive in grade 1s or 2s anymore but will be saddled with big weights in handicaps for the forseeable. He is to stay with the Moores. My favourite quote about the horse comes from Jamie Moores wife who said 'there's nothing I like more than a trip to Sandown where I can watch the big screen and see my husband enjoying a day out with the love of his life.'

It was also great to see 2 old boys show the youngsters a thing or 2 in the International Hurdle with My Tent or Yours just beating The New One. 7 2nds in the last 4 years, which included nearly 2 years out injured, so he earned that. I love how Nicky Henderson wears his heart on his sleeve and he was in tears again when the horse just got in front.
    I’ve backed MYTOY in almost every race he’s ran since his previous win. Love the horse. Was due to go chasing a couple of years ago but as you say got injured. Shame as would loved to have seen him over fences. Strong traveller and great jumper.

A single on him and a double with Keepers Hill saw me about 400 up.

I see Coney Island is due to run on Saturday as Ascot. Not sure what price it’ll be but a good horse on its day. The Long walk a difficult one to call and could maybe see The Worlds End in with a shot there.

Very sad to see Jim Goldie's Jonny Delta suffer a fatal injury at Musselburgh on Monday. A firm favourite of mine on the flat and over hurdles, whenever I went to Musselburgh he always seemed to be running. 38 of 77 starts at Muss with 5 wins, the last being in October over 1m6f at sp of 20/1. Conditions didnt matter either, winning on ground ranging from heavy to good to firm. Very tough for Jim and all his staff especially after losing Jack Dexter in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Very sad to see Jim Goldie's Jonny Delta suffer a fatal injury at Musselburgh on Monday. A firm favourite of mine on the flat and over hurdles, whenever I went to Musselburgh he always seemed to be running. 38 of 77 starts at Muss with 5 wins, the last being in October over 1m6f at sp of 20/1. Conditions didnt matter either, winning on ground ranging from heavy to good to firm. Very tough for Jim and all his staff especially after losing Jack Dexter in the summer.
    Came down at the 3rd last which is a very difficult obstacle at Musselburgh. It comes not far after the tight top bend and if a horse is on an inside line and picking up speed for a finish they can sometimes not see it until very late. I had a decent wedge on Project Bluebrook last season when he came down there when he looked all over the leader, thankfully he got up ok.

Feel sorry for Jim Goldie and the horse. I believe they planned to retire him at the end of this season and there were tentative plans to send him to work with the Greatwood Charity. JG is well known for sorting his horses out with decent retirements and it's sad to see Jonny Delta denied that after all he has given.

Came down at the 3rd last which is a very difficult obstacle at Musselburgh. It comes not far after the tight top bend and if a horse is on an inside line and picking up speed for a finish they can sometimes not see it until very late. I had a decent wedge on Project Bluebrook last season when he came down there when he looked all over the leader, thankfully he got up ok.

Feel sorry for Jim Goldie and the horse. I believe they planned to retire him at the end of this season and there were tentative plans to send him to work with the Greatwood Charity. JG is well known for sorting his horses out with decent retirements and it's sad to see Jonny Delta denied that after all he has given.
    A horse at Mussy (Stone Quercus) did something very similar to me just under a year ago (didnae hit the deck though), might've been a hurdle later but, it felt like somebody going into my pocket and removing about 160 quid, sair yin! :-(
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 20-12-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    2 big clashes missed out on on Boxing Day with Sizing John not going in the King George and Mullins confirming Faugheen will stay in Ireland as well.

Really really annoys me when trainers opt for the penalty kick of races. Horses legacies are based on who they beat, how many times and how the beat them. Dodging clashes until Cheltenham is very boring. I can imagine Faugheen, Buvear D’air and Sizing John go off easily odds on and leave no market for the punter in these races.
    Sizing John being pulled out is a disappointment for the big race next Tuesday. However I'm still undecided as to who to back after seeing a few of them run recently. My head is telling me to back Bristol De Mai who ran brilliantly but I also liked the look of Fox Norton and possibly Whisper. Thistecrack was the least convincing however he could still run a big race. I've not seen Mightbite in action but as he's around even money he must be a very good horse. Its still going to be a Boxing Day cracker even without Sizing John.

Sizing John being pulled out is a disappointment for the big race next Tuesday. However I'm still undecided as to who to back after seeing a few of them run recently. My head is telling me to back Bristol De Mai who ran brilliantly but I also liked the look of Fox Norton and possibly Whisper. Thistecrack was the least convincing however he could still run a big race. I've not seen Mightbite in action but as he's around even money he must be a very good horse. Its still going to be a Boxing Day cracker even without Sizing John.
    I'm loathe to back against Bristol de Mai after its last run but, I keep being drawn back to Might Bite too. I'll be a bit hacked off if 'harry wins tomorrow but, cannae have him at 7/4 after his previous outing.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 22-12-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm loathe to back against Bristol de Mai after its last run but, I keep being drawn back to Might Bite too. I'll be a bit hacked off if 'harry wins tomorrow but, cannae have him at 7/4 after his previous outing.
    Maybe drift out a little bit before the off tomorrow to around 9/4, he's 15/8 just now with Ladbrokes. I'm tempted to back against him on Lil Rockerfella at around 5's but Unowhatimeanharry will be hard to beat if running true to form.

I'll probably put my bet on the King George when I'm in the bookies tomorrow and make a judgement call on who to back then. Its certainly a tough one.
    Last edited by Tornadoes70; 22-12-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm going to be betting on Singlefarmpayment tomorrow in the Lavazza Silver Cup at Ascot. He was closing in with a late strong run before overreaching at the third last and falling in the Ladbrokes trophy just under three weeks ago. The trips a bit shorter this time around and at around 4/1 its a decent price. I'm not tipping the horse out of being in the know just a personal fancy for a horse that should give a decent showing. That and Lil Rockerfella are my two mug punter bets tomorrow.

Left by mutual consent!
    Two poor showings by both Lil Rockerfella and Singlefarmpayment. That's racing for you though. Hopefully better luck in the King George on Tuesday.

Sam Spinner ran a sterling race to beat L'mai Serge and Unknowhatimeanharry with Lil Rockerfella a distance back in the Long Walk Hurdle. Present Gold stayed on well very well to win the Lazzara Silver Cup with Singlefarmpayment struggling to stay the pace from some way out.

Backed L'ami serge ew nae harm done, my old man backed gold present, should get a decent present on Monday.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 24-12-2017 at 01:35 PM.

This years King George is a bit of puzzler.

Is Thistlecrck back to his best? Can Bristol De Mai go on the better ground? Is Might Bite going to have another of his moments? How much has Whisper improved? Will Fox Norton get 3 miles? The only 2 horses I would feel confident striking a line through are Traffic Fluide and Double Shuffle. I’m leaning towards Bristol De Mai but will wait until the day to place a bet, if the forecast rain comes he will shorten though.

I really fancy Black Corton in the Kauto Star/Feltham. Bryony Frost is a really good, young jockey. Bit of a pity she can’t use her claim in a Grade 1 though. The only downside if he does win is that insufferable prick Jeremy Kyle owns a share in the horse.

Left by mutual consent!
    This years King George is a bit of puzzler.

Is Thistlecrck back to his best? Can Bristol De Mai go on the better ground? Is Might Bite going to have another of his moments? How much has Whisper improved? Will Fox Norton get 3 miles? The only 2 horses I would feel confident striking a line through are Traffic Fluide and Double Shuffle. I’m leaning towards Bristol De Mai but will wait until the day to place a bet, if the forecast rain comes he will shorten though.

I really fancy Black Corton in the Kauto Star/Feltham. Bryony Frost is a really good, young jockey. Bit of a pity she can’t use her claim in a Grade 1 though. The only downside if he does win is that insufferable prick Jeremy Kyle owns a share in the horse.
    Despite everything I lumped onto Thistlecrack today. Can only choose one really and for some reason I decided to go with him in spite of his build up to the race. Going to enjoy watching this one regardless even if Thistlecrack doesn't win as its an intriguing race and its certain to be one to remember.

Left by mutual consent!
    Backed L'ami serge ew nae harm done, my old man backed gold present, should get a decent present 2morro.
    L'ami serge looked the likely winner the last few furlongs out but Sam Spinner stayed on resolutely to win having led throughout. It was a good race to watch. Gold Present had decent form going into this one and if I wasn't a follower of Singlefarmpayment I would have been on Gold Present, hey ho such is racing. Good to hear you got something back and your Dad picked a nice 17/2 winner. Nice one.

I only heard the commentary of L'ami Serge's race on the phone as I was in the boozer, must admit the commentator had me counting my dough, oh well! :-)

I only heard the commentary of L'ami Serge's race on the phone as I was in the boozer, must admit the commentator had me counting my dough, oh well! :-)
    He looked all over the winner between the 2nd last and the last, Sam Spinner took the last better and then L'Ami Serge just seemed to flatten out. It was another race where you just wonder if the jockey had got to work a bit quicker it might have been a different race. Colliver was stoking SS up from about 3 or 4 furlongs out whilst Jacob just sat there until just before the last, looks good when it works but when the horse doesn't respond there's not a lot you can do that late.