hibs.net Messageboard

The Masters 2024

Delayed by a couple of hours due to weather meaning a few will need to finish their first round tomorrow

Bryson DeChambeau setting the pace posting a -7 65 round. Fairly certain Danny Willett is only ever seen in Augusta

Tiger started well (-1 through 3) and Scheffler poised behind the leader

Who we got winning it this year?
    Last edited by GreenNWhiteArmy; 11-04-2024 at 09:04 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Fancied Aberg for this one. Usually a couple of pre tournament picks then a few in play each round to keep it interesting

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Delayed by a couple of hours due to weather meaning a few will need to finish their first round tomorrow

Bryson DeChambeau setting the pace posting a -7 65 round. Fairly certain Danny Willett is only ever seen in Augusta

Tiger started well (-1 through 3) and Scheffler poised behind the leader

Who we got winning it this year?
    Already regretting not putting more money on Scheffler.

Thought he was a racing certainty this week, albeit it’s nowhere near done yet obviously.

Incredible player.

Oh and Cantlay, because that’s my habitual back these days.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Scheffler to win.

Speith with a 9 at a par 4 was quite amusing to see.

Woods looks completely immobile. He can hardly walk.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Speith with a 9 at a par 4 was quite amusing to see.

Woods looks completely immobile. He can hardly walk.
    His swing would still put most of us to shame. Certainly wonder how much worse he'll be at the end of his second round!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    His swing would still put most of us to shame. Certainly wonder how much worse he'll be at the end of his second round!
    Oh, no debate to be had on that. It's just the state of him and the damage (well more damage) he's doing to himself.

Amazingly tiger will play out the weekend. Think they said he's played 24 holes today

Incredible

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Amazingly tiger will play out the weekend. Think they said he's played 24 holes today

Incredible
    And only 7 shots back...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Woods did brilliantly given his lack of competitive golf and the state of his body.

Rory...

He's so in his own head. I almost feel like he has to 'give up' and lower his expectations going forward, and just accept that he might not win one in his career. He will definitely scoop a PGA/US Open at somepoint but some of his decision making at Augusta is baffling. I think the only way he wins the Masters is if the conditions are perfect all week, and he has a bit of luck added in.

I think it was 12 yesterday where Scheffler hit a low draw into the green, clearly the right shot to play in the conditions then Rory having watched that decided to go for a high one and plop it went. Crazy decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs90 View Post
    Rory...

He's so in his own head. I almost feel like he has to 'give up' and lower his expectations going forward, and just accept that he might not win one in his career. He will definitely scoop a PGA/US Open at somepoint but some of his decision making at Augusta is baffling. I think the only way he wins the Masters is if the conditions are perfect all week, and he has a bit of luck added in.

I think it was 12 yesterday where Scheffler hit a low draw into the green, clearly the right shot to play in the conditions then Rory having watched that decided to go for a high one and plop it went. Crazy decision making.
    He's won the US and the PGA. I assume you know that and you just meant another.

I agree with what you've said otherwise. I'm a huge mcilroy fan, but he's so frustrating. He's arguably the best player there is but he beats himself so often.

I'd start by making him get a proper caddy on his bag, someone to talk him through and help him. Harry is his mate but there doesn't seem to be much guidance from him. He almost needs what Billy gave Fitz at the US. Steady hand.

How many times have we seen Rory play himself out it and then on Sunday play unbelievable golf to fall short? He just needs to manage his game better at times.

Let's see, he's 10 back with two days left. We'll know a lot more tonight.

I can't see anyone except Scottie winning though.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    He's won the US and the PGA. I assume you know that and you just meant another.

I agree with what you've said otherwise. I'm a huge mcilroy fan, but he's so frustrating. He's arguably the best player there is but he beats himself so often.

I'd start by making him get a proper caddy on his bag, someone to talk him through and help him. Harry is his mate but there doesn't seem to be much guidance from him. He almost needs what Billy gave Fitz at the US. Steady hand.

How many times have we seen Rory play himself out it and then on Sunday play unbelievable golf to fall short? He just needs to manage his game better at times.

Let's see, he's 10 back with two days left. We'll know a lot more tonight.

I can't see anyone except Scottie winning though.

Yeah I meant another major, I suspect its likely that will be at the US/PGA. He will definitely get another major, at some point.

I don't see him winning at Augusta anytime soon, hence the comment why I feel he needs to 'give up' in his mind. It might just be the catalyst that relaxes him, to the point where he almost doesn't care about it...and then guess what happens after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs90 View Post
    Yeah I meant another major, I suspect its likely that will be at the US/PGA. He will definitely get another major, at some point.

I don't see him winning at Augusta anytime soon, hence the comment why I feel he needs to 'give up' in his mind. It might just be the catalyst that relaxes him, to the point where he almost doesn't care about it...and then guess what happens after that.
    I agree. The open at St Andrews was damaging, I know he won the fedex that season but he was in pole position and didn't close it out at St Andrews and I've felt that's hurt him more than hed admit.

Had he won that I think his whole attitude would be different.

The pressure they heap on him pre masters is ridiculous.

He's bogied the first. Pack and up and go home Rory.

Morikawa has come flying out the traps. 3 under through 3

1 behind Scheffler who took the outeihbt lead after a ridiculous chip in on the first

A double bogey followed by a bogey dor Scheffler takes him back to -4

3 way tied for the lead on -6. Ideally for me, aberg is one of them who I backed @ 20/1 with a fiver

Looks an absolutely class Sunday back 9 with the 4 leaders in the final 2 groups all within a shot. Almost turns it into a match play!

Bit of an anti climax tbh. Deserved winner but he's just so... dull.

For "dull" replace "professional"?

I like Scheffler. Way different from guys like Cantlay. Brilliant performance yesterday. And the others just withered away.

Bit of an anti climax tbh. Deserved winner but he's just so... dull.

As a final round spectacle it fell away a bit as the various challenges withered away around the 11th and 12th - and Scheffler largely held his nerve.

It was a great tournament overall though and plenty points of interest - including a very strong first major from Aberg, who looks very much like he can be a regular challenger to Scheffler over the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post

I like Scheffler. Way different from guys like Cantlay. Brilliant performance yesterday. And the others just withered away.
    I don't dislike him at all. I just find him robotic. He's not dull in the way Cantley etc is.

I don't dislike him at all. I just find him robotic. He's not dull in the way Cantley etc is.

👍

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Looks an absolutely class Sunday back 9 with the 4 leaders in the final 2 groups all within a shot. Almost turns it into a match play!
    I’m taking personal responsibility for jinxing that. Efficient performance watched those in front make mistakes and knew he didn’t have to push.

I had Aberg e/w so not all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post

I’d replace professional with superb. People find it dull when guys are just too good and consistent, and I get that.

I actually really like Cantlay too.

On Mcilroy (and it probably ties in a bit with the above.. he’s more exciting as he throws in so many poor shots and misses) I don’t buy that he’ll definitely win a major again. I’d say it’s more likely he doesn’t… I like the guy and he’s shown in the past he’s capable of absolutely awesome stuff. But he seems a long way away from putting 4 rounds together of that play and dominating a big tournament, and there are so many players currently ahead of him now compared to maybe 10 years ago.
    Last edited by WeeRussell; Yesterday at 01:45 PM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    In terms of Rory wonder if all the liv chat has taken its toll. Seemed at one point it was him against the world. Assume he must have felt a little letdown by some of the players jumping ship. For a guy of his ability does seem to make so many errors.

@hibs.net private member
    Saw a question online earlier.

Do you think you could win the masters if you started every hole on the green, at the furthest point of the green from the pin.

I’ve only played golf properly for about 6 months but it’s a resounding no from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Saw a question online earlier.

Do you think you could win the masters if you started every hole on the green, at the furthest point of the green from the pin.

I’ve only played golf properly for about 6 months but it’s a resounding no from me.
    Maybe with a few practice rounds under my belt and plenty of rain 😁