hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This was something that ironically enough was picked up in the wake of the 2012 final, a game we lost with a team that contained a considerable number of players who simply didn't care enough about the club.

There's been a lot of work to fix the culture at the club and make it somewhere that players feel a connection. This has been helped by success as well, but it's no accident that we're seeing this, and a lot of credit is due to the staff at Hibs for creating an environment where this happens.
    Bang on. The way we were run back then was brutal. Had been for years!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    If we'd won the cup in 2012 we'd have all forgiven each and every one of them for murdering our kids.

I'm glad this team won it, but i sure as hell would have loved them every bit as much too.

I also hate quite a few of that bunch of losers.

I'm fickle as ****.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    To suggest the team that had just won the cup , and against Hearts as well, wouldnt be heroes is absolute guff.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    To suggest the team that had just won the cup , and against Hearts as well, wouldnt be heroes is absolute guff.
    It's quite funny thinking of a parallel universe where Matt Doherty is the heroic right-back who scored a winner in a cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    You're right but it wouldn't be the same as it is with most of this team.

Let's be honest, the only way we would have won in 2012 would be through a moment of magic from O'Connor/Griffiths or a piece of sheit refereeing or some other fluke. It would never have been a real determined team effort like 21/5 was because the fact is that most of the "team" we had back then couldn't give a f*** less about our club

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    You're right but it wouldn't be the same as it is with most of this team.

Let's be honest, the only way we would have won in 2012 would be through a moment of magic from O'Connor/Griffiths or a piece of sheit refereeing or some other fluke. It would never have been a real determined team effort like 21/5 was because the fact is that most of the "team" we had back then couldn't give a f*** less about our club
    The Karma was all wrong then. Totally different ambience about the club now.
    That said, I still don't believe in Karma

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It's quite funny thinking of a parallel universe where Matt Doherty is the heroic right-back who scored a winner in a cup final.
    But that's football, we win that game and Dickerty never makes his "I don't give a ****" comment and the team goes down as heroes.

EDIT: I'm leaving the rather unfortunate Freudian slip in there.

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    But that's football, we win that game and Dickerty never makes his "I don't give a ****" comment and the team goes down as heroes.

EDIT: I'm leaving the rather unfortunate Freudian slip in there.
    Reads fine to me.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    If the 2012 team had by some incredible feat managed to win that game, they would have been given even bigger hero status than the 2016 team has.

Seriously - you're telling me that a rag-tag band of loans, journeymen and considerably average players in general winning that game wouldn't go down as the greatest Hibs team ever? Winning the cup for the first time in 110 years AND against our arch rivals, a team who at the time hadn't lost to us in ten games spanning over three years. Matt Doherty would never have had to buy a drink in Leith again.

However, pigs can't fly, and neither could that team of losers even come close. End of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    The run in the cup they had compared to the one that won it shows the team spirit the 2016 team had. To bounce back from dominating yet sadly losing a last min goal in the LCF showed huge character.

I'm delighted how we won it, to think guys like Docherty could have had a medal makes me feel sick. Horrific players in that side with some bang average.
    The League Cup final defeat was secondary imo. It was the circumstances of the gutting play off defeat only a week earlier that made the cup win an even more remarkable achievement.

Whilst I get that the current players have a much better attitude to Hibs than some we've had over the years- it's still a job to them. Most wouldn't take big pay cuts to stay here. And why would they?
    Now Lewis & Paul on the other hand...

I remember thinking before the 2012 final how strange if that squad could win something that the Famous Five team and Turnbull's Tornadoes couldn't!

I had no problem with the 2012 hibs team prior to the game but obviously the attitudes of some players during the game and after sucked. It's just made victory 4 years later all the more sweeter and the squad that won all had the right attitude, commitment and passion for Hibs. The same goes for players who joined last season and of course Neil Lennon. Can't wait for the pre-season friendlies now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    Whilst I get that the current players have a much better attitude to Hibs than some we've had over the years- it's still a job to them. Most wouldn't take big pay cuts to stay here. And why would they?
    Now Lewis & Paul on the other hand...
    There's no more bigger Hibby than Sparky however, sometimes you have to keep your wallet separate from your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Yep, the likes of Doherty, Kujabi, Soares, O'Hanlon, Osbourne etc would have been written into the history books as legends. Frightening! Glad it happened the way it did, with a team of hard working guys who will give 100% for this club.
    Frankly, walking out of Hampden Park on 19.05.2012 I'd have been ecstatic to be calling these jesters legends had it gone our way.

"Glad" we got beaten 5-1 by The Filth in a SC Final FFS - give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Frankly, walking out of Hampden Park on 19.05.2012 I'd have been ecstatic to be calling these jesters legends had it gone our way.

"Glad" we got beaten 5-1 by The Filth in a SC Final FFS - give me a break.
    What part of his post says he's glad we got beat 5-1 by hearts?

He's saying that, when the time came for us to finally win it, he's glad it was done with a squad of players that have shown a real affinity towards our club and it's supporters. Spot on imo