hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which 4 would you have left out from the squad Strachan picked to accommodate these 4?
    Forrest and Bannan.

Shinnie and Burke should be called up up regardless. Unreal they've been left out.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Forrest and Bannan.

Shinnie and Burke should be called up up regardless. Unreal they've been left out.
    Has Burke been playing lately? I know he'd just been getting the odd run out in the early part of the season but kind of lost touch with what he's done since.

Having 4 keepers in there is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Has Burke been playing lately? I know he'd just been getting the odd run out in the early part of the season but kind of lost touch with what he's done since.

Having 4 keepers in there is crazy.
    He's made 35 appaearances for Leipzig this season who finished 2nd in the Bundesliga. The vast majority of them as a sub mind but he's still a far, far better option than Chris Martin under any circumstances at all.

Graeme Shinnie is very unfortunate not to be in the squad yet again as well.

So no Oliver Burke, Callum McGregor, Matt Ritchie and Graeme Shinnie.
    I had forgotten about Matt Ritchie as well. I'd have him in my squad before James Forrest every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    He's made 35 appaearances for Leipzig this season who finished 2nd in the Bundesliga. The vast majority of them as a sub mind but he's still a far, far better option than Chris Martin under any circumstances at all.

Graeme Shinnie is very unfortunate not to be in the squad yet again as well.
    Burke last contributed to a goal (via an assist) in Oct 2016 according to whoscored.com meanwhile Martin contributed slightly better than 1 in 4. Steven Fletcher contributed to around 1 in 4. Griffiths has faired better but could be argued he's playing against poorer opposition.

I don't get this massive love in from people about Burke. I was at the Malta/Lithuania games and watched the Canada match. Scored and played well against Malta but non existant in the other 2. Maybe he'll come good with age, but the lad is nowhere near good enough to be starting just now

I also don't understand the problem with Martin, uncanny similarities with Holt in his time here. Only Martin is arguably our top performing striker

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Burke last contributed to a goal (via an assist) in Oct 2016 according to whoscored.com meanwhile Martin contributed slightly better than 1 in 4. Steven Fletcher contributed to around 1 in 4. Griffiths has faired better but could be argued he's playing against poorer opposition.

I don't get this massive love in from people about Burke. I was at the Malta/Lithuania games and watched the Canada match. Scored and played well against Malta but non existant in the other 2. Maybe he'll come good with age, but the lad is nowhere near good enough to be starting just now

I also don't understand the problem with Martin, uncanny similarities with Holt in his time here. Only Martin is arguably our top performing striker
    True but Burke is playing regularly for the second best team in Germany. The others are playing week in week out against donkeys and bar Griffiths all have poor scoring records even at the poor level theyre playing at.

How you came to the conclusion that Martin is our top performing striker is beyond me. I wouldnt be starting Burke either but he should at least be in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    True but Burke is playing regularly for the second best team in Germany. The others are playing week in week out against donkeys and bar Griffiths all have poor scoring records even at the poor level theyre playing at.

How you came to the conclusion that Martin is our top performing striker is beyond me. I wouldnt be starting Burke either but he should at least be in the squad.
    I wouldn't say he's playing "regularly" in Germany. Only 5 times has he completed more than 60 mins. He has plenty potential and I'd agree he should be in the squad but he's not good enough at international level. He doesn't track back, doesn't beat his man so it feels like we're playing with 10 men.

RE Martin, he's scoring regularly at the top end of the English championship over the last few years. That for me is a better quality than the Scottish top flight.

We have a decent core coming through right now. Hopefully they can get a chance to develop over the current campaign and be good to go for the euro campaign

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

RE Martin, he's scoring regularly at the top end of the English championship over the last few years. That for me is a better quality than the Scottish top flight.
    I don't mind Chris Martin, he's no a bad footballer, I'd no pick him for Scotland on the basis that he's English, but that's for another debate.

However, 2 goals in his last 15 games, isn't all that regular.

I wouldn't say he's playing "regularly" in Germany. Only 5 times has he completed more than 60 mins. He has plenty potential and I'd agree he should be in the squad but he's not good enough at international level. He doesn't track back, doesn't beat his man so it feels like we're playing with 10 men.

We have a decent core coming through right now. Hopefully they can get a chance to develop over the current campaign and be good to go for the euro campaign
    Fingers crossed

@hibs.net private member
    29 of a squad is far to many. 4 keepers and 3 of them not their clubs No1. I'd rather McGinn was not included as he's unlikely to play and could have been resting. I always get the feeling that Strachan is trying to be too clever with his team and squad selection and it never comes off. I hope Scotland get a result but fear another tanking

@hibs.net private member
    08:30 at the Iron Horse and have tickets for The Ferry....with plenty of bars in-between.

Yes Scotland are crap, we will get beat and generally Scottish football is in the doldrums, but as a wise football marketing campaign once said - #persevere

anyone know the best pubs in and around hampden or around Glasgow central that wont be all ticket? never done a Scotland game at hampden before and looking to get the train from waverly at about 11. preferably where you can get kids in

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    anyone know the best pubs in and around hampden or around Glasgow central that wont be all ticket? never done a Scotland game at hampden before and looking to get the train from waverly at about 11. preferably where you can get kids in
    Horseshoe is near central and Beechwood around Hampden mate.

Horseshoe is near central and Beechwood around Hampden mate.

I take it i'd get into either of these easily? going to be heading through for about 1 and don't want to be struggling for a pub

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    I take it i'd get into either of these easily? going to be heading through for about 1 and don't want to be struggling for a pub
    You should be fine mate.

I was in the beechwood before the Slovenia game and there were kids in there.

England squad confirmed:

Goalkeepers:

Jack Butland (Stoke), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Man City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders:

Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Aaron Cresswell (West Ham), Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), Phil Jones (Man Utd), Chris Smalling (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders:

Dele Alli (Tottenham), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Man City)

Forwards:

Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

England squad confirmed:

Goalkeepers:

Jack Butland (Stoke), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Man City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders:

Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Aaron Cresswell (West Ham), Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), Phil Jones (Man Utd), Chris Smalling (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders:

Dele Alli (Tottenham), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Man Utd), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Man City)

Forwards:

Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

Pish. 1-0 Scotland I think. Griffiths with the goal.

5-0 to England.

Hamilton
    McGinn
    McLean
    Fletcher
    Murphy

all been dropped by Strachan.

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon (Celtic)
    David Marshall (Hull City)
    Allan McGregor (Hull City)

Defenders

Ikechi Anya (Derby County)
    Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)
    Stephen Kingsley (Swansea City)
    Russell Martin (Norwich City)
    Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers)
    Mark Reynolds (Aberdeen)
    Andrew Robertson (Hull City)
    Kieran Tierney (Celtic)

Midfielders

Stuart Armstrong (Celtic)
    Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday)
    Scott Brown (Celtic)
    Tom Cairney (Fulham)
    Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion)
    Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth)
    James Forrest (Celtic)
    James McArthur (Crystal Palace)
    James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)
    Robert Snodgrass (West Ham United)

Forwards

Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)
    Chris Martin (Derby County)
    Steven Naismith (Norwich City)

Is Tierney still likely to play?

I'd heard he'd broken his jaw and was doubtful.

First Team Breakthrough Lost_Mackem's Avatar
    It will be a draw IMO.

Watching England doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, players tend to get picked because of who they play for rather than how good they are or what form they are in. Feels like the England team are supported more fervently by people who live in the south of the country.

I get more pleasure from watching the rugby union side being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Mackem View Post
    It will be a draw IMO.

Watching England doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, players tend to get picked because of who they play for rather than how good they are or what form they are in. Feels like the England team are supported more fervently by people who live in the south of the country.

I get more pleasure from watching the rugby union side being honest.
    Don't think that's the case given how many northern clubs are represented at England games. Then again, I suppose they're all southern clubs as far as you're concerned! Undoubtedly the majority are made up of supporters of the so-called smaller clubs.

Can't think of anything worse than watching England RU either but each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Is Tierney still likely to play?

I'd heard he'd broken his jaw and was doubtful.
    I reckon he'll play, or at least be given every opportunity.

I've just seen the "elbow" for the first time, tic fans I know going mental calling the guy a thug etc. Didn't look THAT bad!!

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I reckon he'll play, or at least be given every opportunity.

I've just seen the "elbow" for the first time, tic fans I know going mental calling the guy a thug etc. Didn't look THAT bad!!
    cant see him playing if he has a broken jaw

Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    cant see him playing if he has a broken jaw
    Special gum shield made for him

So looking forward to being at Hampden for this! Cannae wait to see Broony ruffle a few feathers! MON SCOTLAND!!!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbykeith View Post
    Will be in Orlando so looking for a more scottish orientated bar to watch the game, failing that it will be skygo on the laptop by the side of the pool.
    Miller's Ale House on I-Drive... I'll be there. Beer. Wings. Football. Ideal Saturday.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    England 0-3

Is Griffiths a doubt for the game, seen somewhere that he hadn't trained. ?

Left by mutual consent!
    Caledonian warriors to crush loathsome sassenachs 7-0