hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Murray

I'd be concerned if he is the best we can do and Chris Sutton doesn't seem to think he is on NLs radar anyway. I hope he is right. Although he took a kick to the left knee before his second dive, there is no way that the knock would have thrown him in the air as though he had been blown up by a grenade. It reminds me of the game we used to play as kids called dead man's fall. I agree with the second yellow because of the dive even though there was contact.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be concerned if he is the best we can do and Chris Sutton doesn't seem to think he is on NLs radar anyway. I hope he is right. Although he took a kick to the left knee before his second dive, there is no way that the knock would have thrown him in the air as though he had been blown up by a grenade. It reminds me of the game we used to play as kids called dead man's fall. I agree with the second yellow because of the dive even though there was contact.

Good job you're not a ref then!

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    he really hasn't.
    He has impressed me and a good few others, won't impress everyone, I get that.
    The point being made was that the opinion was based on what people had seen throughout the season and not a judgement made over 90 minutes against Falkirk or 90 minutes against Hamilton

The question for Lennon is will Murray play well in the Hibs team given the players that would be around him rather than how he is looking with the poor Dundee Utd team he is playing in. Watching last nights game none of the Utd players stood out in a positive way.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 26-05-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    There's no doubt Murray's raw & has a lot to learn but there's also no doubt he's a pest to all defences with his energy & commitment. With all the fuss about his dive & red card its been largely forgotten that SM earned what should have been a pen really by chasing a lost cause. I remain hopeful we'll see him at ER.
    I think it was December last year I said on here that we should go for him, a couple of the lads said he was a bit raw and as usual I tended to disagree, however, watching him last night I accept they were right. If we ever get rid of the rough edges we could have a hell of a player on our hands, he has pace and desire to win as well as being a goal scorer. I hope we get him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    He has impressed me and a good few others, won't impress everyone, I get that.
    The point being made was that the opinion was based on what people had seen throughout the season and not a judgement made over 90 minutes against Falkirk or 90 minutes against Hamilton
    I understand everyone has an opinion but I really don't understand the people that are genuinely excited by Simon Murray possibly signing! He is average for the level we will be playing at next year and fair do's if he's a squad player but I want better. I keep seeing that people like his work rate, that's all he has and signing him will go back to the days of calderwood/fenlon/butcher where all the players had was hard work but no great ability. If he signs I hope I'm proved wrong but I don't see him being that successful here.

@hibs.net private member
    Also how many times have people really seen him this season, 5/6??? Most of those games will have been against us where he hasn't really shone bar 1 game at tannadice so I'm struggling to see where people are saying he has impressed the whole season??

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Also how many times have people really seen him this season, 5/6??? Most of those games will have been against us where he hasn't really shone bar 1 game at tannadice so I'm struggling to see where people are saying he has impressed the whole season??
    Their manager must have seen him a fair bit. He described him last night as a massive part of the team, in form and scoring goals.

He was also pretty impressive against us when playing for Arbroath. I'm sure some people recall we wanted him before then but he had signed for Utd and have maybe kept a wee eye on him since we were linked with him again last year.

I'd rather have Mikkelsen than Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    So he's ***** but he's classed as an absolute key player for Utd?

FWIW couldn't care less if he's 'made a meal of it' absolute woeful decision from the lino.

Being a key player for one of the worst Dundee united sides ive ever seen isn't an achievement. we can and should be aiming higher than Simon Murray.

Murray wasn't great last night at all. He also wasted one of the best chances in the game second half when Untied had a 3 on 2 and he decided to shoot instead of laying in Spittal who was in a much better position. From what I've seen of him he seems to do that a lot and it's the kind of things that infuriates players and fans. He still put in a great shift, though I suppose so would have a lot of United fans.

For a guy whos only been a pro for 3 seasons to score 18 goals and get 12 assists in a poor Dundee Utd team is some going!

May not be a great player but hes improving and offers alot more than what we had last season up top. Would 100% give us a good option next season

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    If NL thinks Murray is good enough and gets him, that'll be good enough for me. He'll be very much aware that his signings will reflect back upon him. I'll back his judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Their manager must have seen him a fair bit. He described him last night as a massive part of the team, in form and scoring goals.

He was also pretty impressive against us when playing for Arbroath. I'm sure some people recall we wanted him before then but he had signed for Utd and have maybe kept a wee eye on him since we were linked with him again last year.
    Spot on
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

I don't think anybody, least of all Lennon, believes that we are signing Messi. What we have is a pacy raw dedicated talent with an eye for goal whom the boss obviously thinks can improve with the right coaching.

Could be a star, a failure or a middling success - we need somebody to fill the Eoin Doyle role - the point is, no way of knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I don't think anybody, least of all Lennon, believes that we are signing Messi. What we have is a pacy raw dedicated talent with an eye for goal whom the boss obviously thinks can improve with the right coaching.

Could be a star, a failure or a middling success - we need somebody to fill the Eoin Doyle role - the point is, no way of knowing.
    Eoin Doyle is exactly who I thought off when our interest in Murray became known. Very close to being a really good player had the circumstances been better and went on to do well for himself.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Eoin Doyle is exactly who I thought off when our interest in Murray became known. Very close to being a really good player had the circumstances been better and went on to do well for himself.
    And they're both ginger, which I'm sure wasn't lost on bob

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    I understand everyone has an opinion but I really don't understand the people that are genuinely excited by Simon Murray possibly signing! He is average for the level we will be playing at next year and fair do's if he's a squad player but I want better. I keep seeing that people like his work rate, that's all he has and signing him will go back to the days of calderwood/fenlon/butcher where all the players had was hard work but no great ability. If he signs I hope I'm proved wrong but I don't see him being that successful here.
    I remember people saying the same sort of things about John O'Neil and look how good he was for us

Why do people keep saying "if he's the best we can get"

He's not the best we can get, hence why we have got in Swanson and are linked with other very good players.

Murray however would be a big improvement on the squad as a whole, he is better than Boyle and Graham imo.

Would score more than holt.

More of an attacking threat than Keatings.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    I remember people saying the same sort of things about John O'Neil and look how good he was for us
    My recollection was that most folk were pretty excited about that signing. He'd had a few cracking seasons for St J before we signed him.

People keep saying he's a raw talent , well he's certainly raw but theres no talent there . Also he's 25 so if he's still raw thats all he's ever going to be .
    Were talking about signing the likes of Stokesy , Commons and Boyce , Murray is not anywhere close to the level of these guys and sadly never will be . He's a bottom 6 player at best if not a championship player

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    [/B]Good job you're not a ref then!
    Yeah but we all know that refs don't go by the book anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    People keep saying he's a raw talent , well he's certainly raw but theres no talent there . Also he's 25 so if he's still raw thats all he's ever going to be .
    Were talking about signing the likes of Stokesy , Commons and Boyce , Murray is not anywhere close to the level of these guys and sadly never will be . He's a bottom 6 player at best if not a championship player
    Does this work for every single player? If they are top level by 25 they are rubbish?

Can you tell Jamie Vardy that? Or Ian Wright? Lots of players dont reach their potential until later on. Murrays only been a pro for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Why do people keep saying "if he's the best we can get"

He's not the best we can get, hence why we have got in Swanson and are linked with other very good players.

Murray however would be a big improvement on the squad as a whole, he is better than Boyle and Graham imo.

Would score more than holt.

More of an attacking threat than Keatings.
    I'd rather have Holt, Keatings and Boyle over Murray from what I've seen of him. Would be happy to be proved wrong if he joined.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    And they're both ginger, which I'm sure wasn't lost on bob
    Are they? Never crossed my mind.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHibs View Post
    Does this work for every single player? If they are top level by 25 they are rubbish?

Can you tell Jamie Vardy that? Or Ian Wright? Lots of players dont reach their potential until later on. Murrays only been a pro for 3 years.
    Our very own Ivan sproule springs to mind

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I dont think for one minute that if we sign him, he's coming in as a starter for us. I think Lennon likes what he see's, and thinks he can work on him and make him better.

The lad has scored more goals than anyone we have bar JC, you cant have enough goals in your team, and we don't score enough of them.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I dont think for one minute that if we sign him, he's coming in as a starter for us. I think Lennon likes what he see's, and thinks he can work on him and make him better.

The lad has scored more goals than anyone we have bar JC, you cant have enough goals in your team, and we don't score enough of them.
    Totally agree. If we sign Murray we'll still acquire another striker that requires a bigger financial outlay, and will be intended to be a first pick. Murray will be great to bring on when chasing a game or holding on to a lead, his energy and workrate are excellent. If he can play his way in from there, fair enough.

Happy to have him if Lennon wants him.

To be able to bring him and Boyle of the bench at times,if we are behind will be a great tactic to have.i think the comparisons to sproule and Doyle are fitting.
    He is still young enough to improve and only been a full time footballer for a couple of years.
    As others have said I doubt he'll be coming in as our main striker he'll be more of a squad player at first anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    To be able to bring him and Boyle of the bench at times,if we are behind will be a great tactic to have.i think the comparisons to sproule and Doyle are fitting.
    He is still young enough to improve and only been a full time footballer for a couple of years.
    As others have said I doubt he'll be coming in as our main striker he'll be more of a squad player at first anyway.
    comparisons to sproule and doyle are way off the mark . Sproule had pace like weve never seen before and a bit of skill to go with it . Doyle was a goal machine in Ireland .
    Murray puts in a shift ...