hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Queen's Hall

The Queen's Hall, the best venue in Edinburgh, is about to be ruined by modernisation. Or, brought into the 21st century depending on your point of view. Alas, mine is the former.
    So sad.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Queen's Hall, the best venue in Edinburgh, is about to be ruined by modernisation. Or, brought into the 21st century depending on your point of view. Alas, mine is the former.
    So sad.
    On a day when I find out that Studio 24 is to close down, this is *****.

Where are you seeing this?

The QH is great for certain types of acts, IMO, not so for others. I hate the pews, but the acoustics and the setting are superb; I'd hate to see them lost.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

The QH is great for certain types of acts, IMO, not so for others. I hate the pews, but the acoustics and the setting are superb; I'd hate to see them lost.
    It's on the Beeb website. Glass front entrance to the side. Removing existing pews and putting in removable seating.
    Effin sacrilege.

@hibs.net private member
    My favourite Edinburgh venue.
    Just seen my 70th show there.
    Wish they sold season tickets.
    Agree with CWG, not a fan of the pews.
    Like the cabaret table layout though.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    My favourite Edinburgh venue.
    Just seen my 70th show there.
    Wish they sold season tickets.
    Agree with CWG, not a fan of the pews.
    Like the cabaret table layout though.
    That's when I don't like it. I like the space for dancing. The tables inhibit that.

BUT... the fact that they can be versatile in their layout is a big plus IMO.

(Disclaimer.... no animals or young children are harmed when I'm dancing, as long as they're outwith a radius of 50 yards.)

Edinburghs gig venues have been ravaged in the last decade.

We're about 3 venues away from a choice between ****y clubs or total dives if you want to hear music on a night out.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Not imminent, just at the fundraising stage.

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/qu...over-1-4450277
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

I used to go to Studio 24 twice a week when I was a student, its sad to hear they're closing. We had a choice of 3 decent clubs in that area but council policy has pretty much led to them all closing.

We need a drastic change, otherwise live music in Edinburgh will be finished

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    I used to go to Studio 24 twice a week when I was a student, its sad to hear they're closing. We had a choice of 3 decent clubs in that area but council policy has pretty much led to them all closing.

I used to go there every week when I was younger. It was called the calton studios back then. It was one of the best clubs in Scotland for the dance music scene. I saw almost every band in there.
    Sad that it's closing.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

Blog Entries

Always thought this sums up Edinburgh ......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvhYdOG0Sms

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Queens Hall does need some refurbishment of it's to keep going for years to come. I hate the pews as well.
    Studio 24 going is much more concerning. Although there are a number of small dive venues for local bands (Sneaky Pete's, Henry's Cellar etc) there are so few venues for the next rung up. Pathetic really.

Agree completely.

When you compare the range of sizes and diversity of live music venues in Glasgow to Edinburgh we are very much the poor relation. Studio 24 and The Venue, and I daresay a few others, didn't close because they were unpopular. They are closing because constant legislation and licensing issues are making them unsustainable ventures. The council should be promoting culture and creativity rather than putting constant hurdles in the way.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby