hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Split gate receipts would be terrible for Hibs. After spending a fortune rebuilding Easter road to attract customers people want to give half the money to the likes of Motherwell who have not spent a penny on Fir Park in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Sevco will not be challenging any time soon. They are much more likely to go bust again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Split gate receipts would be terrible for Hibs. After spending a fortune rebuilding Easter road to attract customers people want to give half the money to the likes of Motherwell who have not spent a penny on Fir Park in years.

Whilst we spend that fortune upgrading our stadium and training centre, teams like Motherwell were finishing consistently in the European slots in the league. Champions League once i believe as well?

For the country to have a better league set up the finances for every team needs to be re-distributed and fairer. It can't just benefit Hibs

Hearts are more likely to beat Celtic on Sunday than split gate receipts being introduced into Scottish football for league fixtures.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    Celtic will fall eventually.

All goes around in one big circle...I think Rangers will win the league within the next 3 seasons.
    Would be hugely surprised - think The Rangers are miles off right now and still in disarray. Hard to see how, never mind when, they'll get their act together.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Cant see it , Celtic will get 10 in a row , Rodgers has another 4 years on his deal . Not a chance the huns are winning the league while he's there , especially not with the portuguese Cathro in charge
    At the moment there is absolutely no chance of sevco winning the league in the next four or five years. If/when Rodgers goes then the gap will close but sevco need a massive overhaul of players and some sort of recruitment structure in place to remotely challenge Celtic. At the moment Celtic resemble the Liverpool of the eighties as you can see them winning trophy after trophy. Even if they sell the likes of dembele and tierney it will give them more money to buy better players and should they continue to get to the champions league group stages they will pull even further away from sevco. I'm more interested in the battle for second to fourth. I don't anticipate us being second but would like to think that we can challenge for fourth. As we've shown if we can keep winning odd trophy the fans turn out and I'm sure Lennon will be targeting a cup as well as top four.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Whilst we spend that fortune upgrading our stadium and training centre, teams like Motherwell were finishing consistently in the European slots in the league. Champions League once i believe as well?

For the country to have a better league set up the finances for every team needs to be re-distributed and fairer. It can't just benefit Hibs
    The point is that it would penalise Hibs.We were in the lead in bringing in the current system and quite right too.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I'm not scared of them. They're only winning the league like they are because we're not in it FACT.
    Next season will be different.

United we stand here....

I think each team should keep their home games definitely.
    But all other finances brought in should be distributed equally, no matter if the West coast mobs are on telly week in week out. It's those running the game that have got us into this position, their narrow mindedness and selfish attitudes towards them that are ruining our game.
    And why not tell the TV companies to beat it until they come up with a better deal for Scottish football.
    100 million would be a drop in the ocean to the likes of Sky Sports and that would go a long way in enhancing the Scottish Leagues.
    The problem is, as I've previously said, the SFA aren't bothered about anyone else bar these two.
    That's been evident for decades now, and most of us could see the decline slowly coming, they must have also but refused to sort it.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Splitting gate receipts is a horrible idea.

Why should my season ticket money be used to subsidise Ross Co or whoever?

Why should Old Firm fans pay to help us get a better team?!

Utter madness.

It's up to the rest of us to try and compete. If you look at most leagues across Europe they are generally won by the same handful of clubs. Doesn't mean the rest of them should give up does it?

Nothing wrong with our league now that we're back in it

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I would be very happy if a UK-wide league was created. We'd be filling out ER no problem every week and we'd have buckets of money. Keep the Scottish Cup so we still have a change of winning something and I'm sold.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    Celtic will fall eventually.

All goes around in one big circle...I think Rangers will win the league within the next 3 seasons.
    No chance. Rangers would need someone willing to put tens of millions into their team to even challenge Celtic, never mind win the league. There is no such person. Celtic will win the league now until there is a merger of leagues with other countries, which just won't happen.

We need to concentrate on trying to become the 2nd best team in the country, or if Rangers do improve that wee bit that takes them ahead of the rest of us, then the 3rd best team in the country regularly.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    There should be a trophy for finishing 2nd then we would all have something to play for

Looking at the Celtic dominance from a selfish Hibs point of view ( which is the way most clubs act ), I don't see what difference it makes, neither of the Edinburgh clubs has won the league for well over a hundred years between them, and yet the Hibs fans still turn up in numbers.

Clubs have been forced to pay their bills, and sporting integrity has been vaguely established, let's get it on :)

...The fact that Celtic are more or less setting the rules for the SPFL is a different story.

Bayern Munich have won almost half of all Bundesliga titles since it's inception in 1963. They're currently on their fifth title in succession with no team looking like toppling them any time soon.

They've won 12 out of 18 titles this century (1999-00 to 2016-17)

So it's not restricted to Scotland.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 19-05-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Not quite half and additinal info

I know England probably wont have the old firm, but have we asked other countries? Maybe Norway or France might take them? Worth an ask?

I reckon the only solution is to have play-offs for the title. Play out the league games and the team positioned 1 goes straight to thr final. Teams 2 and 3 play-off to reach the final. Massive superbowl type championship final at the end of it all.

@hibs.net private member TheGreenMan's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Bayern Munich have won almost half of all Bundesliga titles since it's inception in 1963. They're currently on their fifth title in succession with no team looking like toppling them any time soon.

They've won 12 out of 18 titles this century (1999-00 to 2016-17)

So it's not restricted to Scotland.

And Juve will win their 6th league in a row this weekend. Scottish clubs outwith Celtic really need to try and make some sort of impact in Europa league, qualifying for groups regularly, its more or less the same as many other leagues just at a lower level.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    I reckon the only solution is to have play-offs for the title. Play out the league games and the team positioned 1 goes straight to thr final. Teams 2 and 3 play-off to reach the final. Massive superbowl type championship final at the end of it all.
    That works brilliantly in Australia and creates a real exiting climax to the season. It's like the play off on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    That works brilliantly in Australia and creates a real exiting climax to the season. It's like the play off on steroids.

Sounds as if it would bring excitement and great interest, albeit, a bit unfair on a team that finishes 30 pts in front and loses it in a one off game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    If Rodgers stays there over the next 3 years, there's not a chance Rangers are winning the league in that time.
    There is little chance Rodgers will still be around at Celtic for the next 3 years. He was damaged goods when he came to Celtic and has rebuilt his reputation.
    He also appears to be the first name that comes to mind from Arsenal fans looking at the post Wenger period when that eventually happens.

Celtic are good to watch though right now but as we saw with even Barcelona who for a period were the best side I have ever watched, all empires fall and teams eventually get found out.

We have discussed British leagues, the Uglies going to England on their own and who knows what else on this forum over the years. The only way that's ever going to happen IMO would be if the English giants like Man Utd and Arsenal decided that their future lay in a money spinning European league leaving room for the likes of Celtic to fill the gap.

The truth is, as somebody else alluded to in a post, that what we need to do is start some sort of campaign run by all non OF Scottish fans to encourage kids around Scotland to, if not support their local club, then at least not support the two erse cheeks ...... Celtic and Rangers play in front of crowds that are vastly out of proportion to the size of the city and I for one do not believe the support the have in Northern Ireland contributes significantly to the size of their crowds on a Saturday.

Their crowds are vastly inflated by 'supporters' from the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire towns and places like Greenock and Paisley .... not to mention the thousands who flock there from the east of Scotland ...... Its time we as fans ramped up the 'glory hunters' tag to such proportions that a non Glasgow OF fan will be ashamed to admit he or she is one ..... we have always held these folk in contempt, its time we 'all' found an organised way to show it.

Aye, but ma dad supported the Gers ..... so you come from a long line of glory hunters then

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Cant see it , Celtic will get 10 in a row , Rodgers has another 4 years on his deal . Not a chance the huns are winning the league while he's there , especially not with the portuguese Cathro in charge
    Another season like this and Rodgers won't be anywhere near Celtic IMO. Another one of the big boys in England will come calling.

• Re-distribution of income via sponsorship/tv deals
    • Split gate receipts
    • bigger league (16 is my preference, and you can even keep the nonsense split)
    • minimum of 5 players in matchday squad to be home grown on trained by that team for x number of years

All these would, over a period of time result in better younger players being produced by the country whilst hopefully bridging the gap.

IMO this Celtic team isnt even the best in the last 5 years never mind ever (and the 2003 team would wipe the floor with them). The manager of course has a significant contribution and deserves massive praise for getting the best out of his players and keeping them motivated BUT basing it on when they played for Celtic:

Forster > Gordon
    Van Dijk/Denayer/Ambrose > take your pick, any current CH
    Matthews/Lustig > current Lustig
    Ledley > Rogic
    Commons > Armstrong
    Hooper > Griffiths

Granted there'll be exceptions, for example Scott Brown is arguably playing the best football of his life, Tierney, Dembele, Sinclair (he done well in England eh) but you've got to ask how many of these players can perform at the top level? John Guidetti was a "star" up here but flopped down south.
    Speaking to a Celtc fan at work and he's crying out for all of the above points that you've mad. I never realised but the gate receipt used to be split until the OF changed the rules.

12 team league gives too many teams the fear factor when it comes to producing players - just look at how many teams have been dragged into the relegation battle this year. No one is willing to take a risk on bleeding the young players in to the squad and as a result there's hardly any decent Scottish talents emerging.

How do we go about getting the ugly sisters to split the gate receipt?

@hibs.net private member
    • Re-distribution of income via sponsorship/tv deals
    • Split gate receipts
    • bigger league (16 is my preference, and you can even keep the nonsense split)
    • minimum of 5 players in matchday squad to be home grown on trained by that team for x number of years

All these would, over a period of time result in better younger players being produced by the country whilst hopefully bridging the gap.

IMO this Celtic team isnt even the best in the last 5 years never mind ever (and the 2003 team would wipe the floor with them). The manager of course has a significant contribution and deserves massive praise for getting the best out of his players and keeping them motivated BUT basing it on when they played for Celtic:

Forster > Gordon
    Van Dijk/Denayer/Ambrose > take your pick, any current CH
    Matthews/Lustig > current Lustig
    Ledley > Rogic
    Commons > Armstrong
    Hooper > Griffiths

Granted there'll be exceptions, for example Scott Brown is arguably playing the best football of his life, Tierney, Dembele, Sinclair (he done well in England eh) but you've got to ask how many of these players can perform at the top level? John Guidetti was a "star" up here but flopped down south.

Guidetti played a total of 24 games up here...scoring 8 goals

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Sounds as if it would bring excitement and great interest, albeit, a bit unfair on a team that finishes 30 pts in front and loses it in a one off game.
    The level of interest Grand final day creates in Oz is bigger than anything we manage in this country for a sporting event. It really is a great day whoever is in the final. And the play offs for the final are heavily weighted in favour of the team who wins the minor premeirship so there is a benefit in finishing top of the league. It makes for a great few weeks at the end of the season.

@hibs.net private member PeeKay's Avatar
    Unfortunately a "play-off" is exactly the finale to the season we have this year - it's called the William Hill Scottish Cup Final.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeKay View Post
    Unfortunately a "play-off" is exactly the finale to the season we have this year - it's called the William Hill Scottish Cup Final.
    A bit tweaking of the timings needed. Is Scottish football just going to go on like this forever? I'd rather see play-offs for the title. The alternative is a forever snorefest as the rich win always or a breakaway league.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Van Dijk and Wanyama are the only 2 players they've lost who'd be guaranteed a place in their current team.
    Fraser Forster would, I think he's an excellent keeper.

A bit tweaking of the timings needed. Is Scottish football just going to go on like this forever? I'd rather see play-offs for the title. The alternative is a forever snorefest as the rich win always or a breakaway league.
    We could also have a salary cap in the league which also works well in leagues across the world.