hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No being forced to vote is very North Korea!
    or very barack Obama who agrees with it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

No. The folk in favour of mandatory voting are generally politicians or those who think their political allegiances will benefit. Other than that, you start making unnecessary criminals of people and probably cause even more apathy/hatred of politics/politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    or very barack Obama who agrees with it.
    There are problems with voting that are very specific to the US that may be solved, in part, by mandatory voting. None of which apply to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    No. The folk in favour of mandatory voting are generally politicians or those who think their political allegiances will benefit. Other than that, you start making unnecessary criminals of people and probably cause even more apathy/hatred of politics/politicians.
    If you look to Australia, Labour opposed it however gained from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    There are problems with voting that are very specific to the US that may be solved, in part, by mandatory voting. None of which apply to the UK.
    so a demographic defect in voting with regards to age isn't a problem?

so a demographic defect in voting with regards to age isn't a problem?
    Of course it is but it's not on the same planet as minorities being denied the chance to vote.

It's not going to be solved by making them trudge down to a primary school to vote either. It's up to politicians and their proxies to engage them.

your missing my whole point, the reason for those who dont vote isn't purely down to apathy towards the process.
    You can call it apathy, disengagement, cynicism (probably all true) or whatever you like but those people chose not to vote because they don't care enough to do so. The fact they don't care is reflected on the vote. Don't see what democracy gains by folk that don't care ticking a random box to avoid a fine.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmesdale Hibs View Post
    You can call it apathy, disengagement, cynicism (probably all true) or whatever you like but those people chose not to vote because they don't care enough to do so. The fact they don't care is reflected on the vote. Don't see what democracy gains by folk that don't care ticking a random box to avoid a fine.
    That's a bit of an over simplification.

First Team Breakthrough
    Some people may not vote as they do not believe in the concept of government like anarchists?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    That's a bit of an over simplification.
    There are more complex reasons behind it which have already been mentioned by others in this thread and which I agree with, but anyone who cares enough will vote. Compulsive voting might force people to vote but it's impossible to force people to care and take an interest. If people chose
    not to vote, I don't see it as my place or the governments place to tell them they should.

There are more complex reasons behind it which have already been mentioned by others in this thread and which I agree with, but anyone who cares enough will vote. Compulsive voting might force people to vote but it's impossible to force people to care and take an interest. If people chose
    not to vote, I don't see it as my place or the governments place to tell them they should.
    Care enough about what?

I agree with the second bit in bold.

I do think it's a good idea in the longer term. However, the Conservative Party plans to introduce photo ID for proof to vote will make that rather difficult for people who can't afford not to vote and pay a fine who also cannot afford the ever increasing cost of acceptable forms of ID (passport or UK drivers licence). Maybe the introduction of new technologies will allow online registration and voting to ease the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Care enough about what?

I agree with the second bit in bold.
    Care enough about anything in a particular parties manifesto, good or bad. Or democracy and politics in general, the community, the economy, future of the county. Could be anything really. I suppose I mean they don't care enough about any of the reasons that make other people chose to vote.
    Last edited by Holmesdale Hibs; 19-05-2017 at 09:58 PM.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    I do think it's a good idea in the longer term. However, the Conservative Party plans to introduce photo ID for proof to vote will make that rather difficult for people who can't afford not to vote and pay a fine who also cannot afford the ever increasing cost of acceptable forms of ID (passport or UK drivers licence). Maybe the introduction of new technologies will allow online registration and voting to ease the pain.
    Does Nothern Ireland have an issue with poor people not voting? They already have a photo ID policy I think. I genuinely don't know the answer by the way.

Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Does Nothern Ireland have an issue with poor people not voting? They already have a photo ID policy I think. I genuinely don't know the answer by the way.
    I can't answer the first part but I have had to show photo id both times I've voted in NI.
    Last edited by Mr White; 20-05-2017 at 10:04 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    There was a higher turnout in the last NI assembly election than for either the Scottish parliament or Welsh assembly elections. Whether it would have been even higher if folk didn't need id, who knows.

Turnouts aren't great as it is, I'm against creating any further barriers.

Care enough about anything in a particular parties manifesto, good or bad. Or democracy and politics in general, the community, the economy, future of the county. Could be anything really. I suppose I mean they don't care enough about any of the reasons that make other people chose to vote.
    I wouldn't necessarily align not voting to not caring about those things, particularly the ones in bold.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    A bit of an oxymoron surely. A 'free' democratic society making voting compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    A bit of an oxymoron surely. A 'free' democratic society making voting compulsory.
    There are loads of things that are compulsory,tax for example. it's nothing to do with democracy.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    There are loads of things that are compulsory,tax for example. it's nothing to do with democracy.
    Tax is something everyone needs to pay to sustain democracy of course (unless you have a good accountant). Voting is totally different as far as I'm concerned. I'm getting really fed up to the back teeth of new laws being brought in day by day. Thou shalt not this and thought shalt not that. One day we'll wait up and find we can't do anything.