hibs.net Messageboard

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its costed, but what if its wrong? 250bn stimulus by just taxing the top 5% - if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Im voting Labour because of my constituency, and hes one me around a lot, but having appealing policies has nevet been the lefts problem, its delivering the economics and paying for it all that has.

In what sense? Do you mean 'economics' based upon a money system that is entirely undemocratic and man made i.e. we must all subscribe to a method of survival which we didn't create but which we're told is immutable? Do you mean we must permanently play by the capitalist's rules and so forever be on the defensive when presented by a game played according to their parameters and their system of what 'real life' is? This might all seem other wordly, but it really isn't. We have man made system of production, distribution and exchange, so why can't we change it and devise a way to live devoid of insistence upon payment of some kind? Is it really so crazy?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    In what sense? Do you mean 'economics' based upon a money system that is entirely undemocratic and man made i.e. we must all subscribe to a method of survival which we didn't create but which we're told is immutable? Do you mean we must permanently play by the capitalist's rules and so forever be on the defensive when presented by a game played according to their parameters and their system of what 'real life' is? This might all seem other wordly, but it really isn't. We have man made system of production, distribution and exchange, so why can't we change it and devise a way to live devoid of insistence upon payment of some kind? Is it really so crazy?
    Yes, in that sense.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Its costed, but what if its wrong? 250bn stimulus by just taxing the top 5% - if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Im voting Labour because of my constituency, and hes one me around a lot, but having appealing policies has nevet been the lefts problem, its delivering the economics and paying for it all that has.
    So tactical voting then?

Alternative take:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...e-the-opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I think May's future will depend upon the result tomorrow. She called the election expecting a huge win, so anything less will create speculation. I do think the media portrayal of Corbyn has harmed Labour's chances. It seems the Labour policies are popular but Corbyn's electability is doubted, and I think the constant media negativity has driven that. The establishment doesn't want to discuss the issues because Corbyn is on the right track, hence we've had weeks of personal abuse against him e.g. IRA support. I've yet to read one quote from Corbyn which states his support for the IRA, but the dog whistles have been widespread. However, we've heard very little about how he was right about Iraq and Syria and May was wrong.
    If May gets anything less than a decent increase she is toast.

Corbyn has greatly benefited from being able to get his message across without it being filtered through the Tory-centric media (including the middle-class saturated BBC) which will not have gone down well with the Tory grandees. He's grown in confidence and skill as he's gone along.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the working class UKIP growth areas. For all the talk of those voters going to the Tories, I am not convinced. The overall polls seems to show the decline in UKIP being mirrored by growth for Labour but UKIP never won any seats anyway!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    If May gets anything less than a decent increase she is toast.

Corbyn has greatly benefited from being able to get his message across without it being filtered through the Tory-centric media (including the middle-class saturated BBC) which will not have gone down well with the Tory grandees. He's grown in confidence and skill as he's gone along.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the working class UKIP growth areas. For all the talk of those voters going to the Tories, I am not convinced. The overall polls seems to show the decline in UKIP being mirrored by growth for Labour but UKIP never won any seats anyway!!
    It's the UKIP vote which could swing the election to the Tories. Whilst their vote was never going to win seats it split the right wing vote. If UKIP votes shrinks to 3 or 4% and if the rest moves to the Tories then they will increase their majority to over 30

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    It's the UKIP vote which could swing the election to the Tories. Whilst their vote was never going to win seats it split the right wing vote. If UKIP votes shrinks to 3 or 4% and if the rest moves to the Tories then they will increase their majority to over 30
    I think the pattern with UKIP is different in the south and the north or England. The southern UKIP Tories will go back to the Tories, I guess, so the threat they were perceieved to have to southern Tories will receed. However, UKIP have, for years now, targetted expansion of their vote in the Labour heartlands. The Tories have been trying very hard to swing those votes toward themselves. I have my doubts that it'll happen.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    first fight of the day at a polling station

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-4020...olling-station

:)

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    first fight of the day at a polling station

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-4020...olling-station

:)

That's pretty funny. Especially when you consider that they're fighting over Tim Farron...

I'll say a Tory majority of between 50 and 100, probably somewhere around 80.

In Scotland Nat losses of between 6 and 14, probably 9.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    So tactical voting then?
    Yes, tactical voting. By all accounts a good MP too, and i dotlnt rate the nat candidate.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Yes, tactical voting. By all accounts a good MP too, and i dotlnt rate the nat candidate.
    I have never, and never would, vote tactically. My first choice does not have a candidate in my constituency so the default position is the party closest to the same views on the majority of policies.

In the 2015 GE, the 2016 Scottish parliament and the Council elections I voted for the same party. At no time did I vote for a personality, but for the policies put forward by the parties. Whether the party is in with a chance of winning or not.

I was horrified in 2016 to hear long time Lib Dem members campaigning for the Conservative Party.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    I have never, and never would, vote tactically. My first choice does not have a candidate in my constituency so the default position is the party closest to the same views on the majority of policies.

In the 2015 GE, the 2016 Scottish parliament and the Council elections I voted for the same party. At no time did I vote for a personality, but for the policies put forward by the parties. Whether the party is in with a chance of winning or not.

I was horrified in 2016 to hear long time Lib Dem members campaigning for the Conservative Party.
    Fair enough.

But the FPTP makes it necessary imo, and i have no problem in priciple with doing it.

First and foremost, you are voting for a constituency MP.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Fair enough.

But the FPTP makes it necessary imo, and i have no problem in priciple with doing it.

First and foremost, you are voting for a constituency MP.
    True, the system we have forces it upon some people in marginals. My constituency isn't one of them, so I can cast a positive ballot for what I believe in. However, I would do it if needed.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875