hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Genius. Do you live you or life by sound-bytes? Tabloid Job waiting for you somewhere...
    🎣 So I'm not entitled to my opinion?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    He's improved considerably over the last 1/3 rd of the season, hope he stays.
    GG

Does anyone else want to see Boyle used in his favoured position through the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    Still young - a wee bit more than 2 years older than Cummings.

Boyle at Cummings age - 152 games and 41 goals
    Cummings now - 114 games and 55 goals

Different levels they've scored at and they play different positions but not a massive difference considering one is lauded as a marvellous striker and the other is "not good enough".....
    They do play different positions and players clearly progress at different rates but I think that Boyle scoring 1 goal every 3.7 games vs Cummings 1 goal every 2.07 games is quite a big difference.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieCowan View Post
    Does anyone else want to see Boyle used in his favoured position through the middle?
    No, his best performances this year were wide and even then he needs to improve to make an impact next year. I like him and hope he stays just hope he improves his final ball.

Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    Our second top scorer in the season just ended with 8 goals
    Didn't realise that but, on a wider perspective, having our second top scorer with 8 goals is something NL is going to have to do something about in the summer because if JC gets injured we are going to have big problems.

Wasn't his greatest fan but he has improved this season and at 24 I think there is more to come.
    IMO he has done enough to earn a new contract as a squad/impact player.
    He also seems to avoid the dreaded injuries so is always available to play.

Coaching Staff
    No its been tried & it hasn't worked, played wide & practice his crossing.

First Team Breakthrough
    He is good enough for me , but then I live in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    They do play different positions and players clearly progress at different rates but I think that Boyle scoring 1 goal every 3.7 games vs Cummings 1 goal every 2.07 games is quite a big difference.
    I wonder what the assists stats are like i would imagine Boyles figures are better?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I wonder what the assists stats are like i would imagine Boyles figures are better?
    Suspect you are right (though someone will no doubt correct me /us). Bigger issue, as has been mentioned on numerous threads in the past, is that we don't score enough goals and that is something that needs to be addressed. John McGinn for Liam Henderson, LG and GMS might solve the issue 😂

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyFantastic View Post
    A whole 8 goals in the Championship, oh wow, hold me back!
    Your a right bundle of ****ing fun not eh.

Boyle is very well liked in the dressing room, he's quick and a defenders nightmare, play him off the left and let him cut in onto his right and he'll score and create goals. Someone on his FB page said he's signed and I hope it's true, he'll get better.
    Last edited by J-C; 17-05-2017 at 11:35 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Really hope we keep him. One of our only current players who can scare defences and stretch them to create space for everyone else...as well as chipping in with the odd goal and assist. He will only get better too as still quite young. Certainly would not be sitting comfortably if he was lined up against us next season!

Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post

I put that badly :) - wasn't meaning to suggest that Cummings isn't a markedly better goal scorer than Boyle/
    My point was more that Boyle is still relatively young and developing and that his goal record isn't bad by comparison and hence the OPs assesment of him as being that poor was a little ott.

I'd not be unhappy to keep him - especially as a squad player.
    Good pace is always nice to have.

I'd say Boyle has shown improvement year on year since he's been at the club. Still a young guy and when he's on his game, defences just can't cope with him.

Final ball let's him down a lot but it's a difficult one. Do we want a fast winger that can beat his man but take 10 crosses to find a man or a winger that can't beat his man but can deliver a great ball? (Humphrey)

I'll trust NL and the club to do what they feel is the right decision after the recent case against him. Whether he stays or not, I believe we need another winger that's better. A Mackay-Stevens type would be my preference although I feel I've been saying that forever now!

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    I think the ‘poor final ball’ is a bit unfair on Squirrel.
    Quite often he is faced with a box packed with defenders (our midfielders rarely get into the box at all, or get ahead of the ball) and has at best Jason looking a bit mobile, and Holty standing completely stationary. It’s hardly surprising that so many crosses are intercepted by one of the eight or nine opposition players who have packed into the box.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Your a right bundle of ****ing not eh.

Boyle is very well liked in the dressing room, he's quick and a defenders nightmare, play him off the left and let him cut in onto his right and he'll score and create goals. Someone on his FB page said he's signed and I hope it's true, he'll get better.
    Absolutely.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    I think the fact that Aberdeen want him shows he has something.

I get the frustrations that he can cause but I'd rather have in our squad than play against him.

I like him, I think he'll get better. I think he is a character. I hope he stays.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Keep him, if we let him go he's guaranteed 3/4 goals a season against us.

Also he's still fairly young and has been improving all the time IMO.

Signing Swanson who has scored 15 goals this year has set the standard for what we are looking for.

I like Boyle and think he is a handy player to have, his crossing and composure must improve for him to be a regular imo, especially with the standards Neil Lennon has set us for next year.

If Lennon is serious about challenging for 2nd we need a better player than Boyle to start. He will be a good impact player.

@hibs.net private member
    He's not a composed enough finisher to play as a striker week in week out. He does a good job as a wide player and I hope he stays as there are very few players that have his pace.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    Quite often he is faced with a box packed with defenders (our midfielders rarely get into the box at all, or get ahead of the ball) and has at best Jason looking a bit mobile, and Holty standing completely stationary. It’s hardly surprising that so many crosses are intercepted by one of the eight or nine opposition players who have packed into the box.
    Not sure about that. Can think of a few occasions when he was clean through and his first touch had disappeared.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Not sure about that. Can think of a few occasions when he was clean through and his first touch had disappeared.
    I would dispute the "Holt standing stationary" In my opinion his movement was excellent

Really hope Boyle stays. He wont be on big money and is someone that has genuine pace that can change a game.

As an impact player he is about as good as we are likely to get unless we are prepared to pay alot more in wages.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    I agree with this. When do we ever see a hibs player make a run to the front post either to glance a header towards goal, hit a shot or flick it on. I think that's part of the reason our balls always hit the first man

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Signing Swanson who has scored 15 goals this year has set the standard for what we are looking for.

I like Boyle and think he is a handy player to have, his crossing and composure must improve for him to be a regular imo, especially with the standards Neil Lennon has set us for next year.
    9 of Swanson's 15 goals were from penalties, which should be borne in mind if using it as a benchmark.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Boyle and Swanson on the flanks sounds decent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    I agree with this. When do we ever see a hibs player make a run to the front post either to glance a header towards goal, hit a shot or flick it on. I think that's part of the reason our balls always hit the first man
    The last Morton game was an example of Boyle's talents being wasted, time after time using his pace to get to the bye line, only to find their is no one matching his run to get in to the box. When do we ever see our midfielders making runs in to the box? This is reason our midfielders don't get goals. It's been a problem for ages. Martin Boyles been great since the turn of the year and their is more to come IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    His final ball really needs to be improved but if he could do that and add a bit of composure to his game we'd have some player on our hands.

For that reason I'd definitely keep him but playing against better teams next year we'll need to be ruthless and can't afford to squander numerous good attacking positions.