hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Andy Murray

Left by mutual consent!

Andy Murray

After a career-best year in 2016 it's been a real struggle this year so far for Andy, who has just lost early in the Italian Open (one of the nine titles he won last year).

I'm told that the elbow injury which saw him sidelined earlier in the year is still affecting his ability to get real power into his first serve, but his confidence is clearly an issue too.

Djokovic's struggles also continue and I notice he sacked his entire coaching team last week.

I do wonder if motivation for both players may not be what it was. After reaching the world No 1 spot Andy can't climb any higher, while Djokovic's demise began almost as soon as he completed the Grand Slam set by winning the French Open last year (although marital troubles have also been alluded to as a contributory factor).

2. Log in to remove the advert

He's certainly going through a real bad patch so far this year.

He had a terrible run at the Australian Open, his worst performance there since 2009 and he has only won one event so far which was a 500 tournament in Dubai.

At the big tournaments (Grand Slams and Masters events) his record is atrocious having only won five matches in the five events he's played at that level so far this season. He's also not beaten anyone ranked inside the top 25 at any of those top tournaments so far.

He now has almost two weeks to prepare for the start of the French Open. I'm not sure if he'll put in a late entry for one of the minor tournaments taking place in Geneva and Lyon next week to try and get his confidence levels back up and to also get a bit more playing time as he's hardly had any real match practice on clay so far as he's lost really early in all but one of the clay events he's entered. Either way it's been a concerning start to the season for everyone connected to Murray.

Hopefully he can regain his top form soon as he has a Wimbledon title to defend in just under 2 months' time.

He's odds-against to win zero Slams in 2017 - which looks a solid bet as it stands.

I'd love to see Nadal's form continue to build (and see him competitive on courts other than clay) going into Wimbledon. I do wonder if it's maybe time for the likes of Nishikori or another to win a big one, with none of the top guys 'sure things' anymore.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's odds-against to win zero Slams in 2017 - which looks a solid bet as it stands.

I'd love to see Nadal's form continue to build (and see him competitive on courts other than clay) going into Wimbledon. I do wonder if it's maybe time for the likes of Nishikori or another to win a big one, with none of the top guys 'sure things' anymore.
    I fancy Thiem or Zverev to step up.

Thiem is one to watch in the French. Zverev probably more so on the other surfaces.