hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You still seem to think the object of the game is to play youngsters? They need to better than any other player we can afford. Playing youngsters isn't a goal in itself, winning games is.
    Its surely a goal if you are investing in youth/development football? If you aren't going to get any return on investment either by means of sell on value or the ability to actually play in the first team then why bother investing in it (and we do)?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post
    Its surely a goal if you are investing in youth/development football? If you aren't going to get any return on investment either by means of sell on value or the ability to actually play in the first team then why bother investing in it (and we do)?
    It is part of the plan, yes, but they need to develop into being better players than we have. When they are ready to be the first pick then they will be.

My comment wasn't that we shouldn't have it, it's more that every time we are linked with a player, particularly an older one, the worry seems to be about which young players won't get a chance. We want to build the best team and squad that we can. If young players are ready to be part of that the great but it is not a goal in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    I like Fonts but I think it might be time to move on. We should always be looking to move forward and improve where we can. Fonts has a great attitude and is as brave as a lion, but hes slow and has the turning cirlcle of the QE2 (that was a boat for our younger readers ) and isnt too cleverwith his passsing and general ball distribution. He's at a stage in his career where he will want game time and Im not sure hes going to get much with us anymore with Hanlon, DazM, Effe on short term and Forster all ahead of him IMO in the pecking order. I would rather see someone who can make a serious challenge for a berth in the back line, especially when Effe goes if its true he's only here until January.
    Fonts is better on the ball than Forster and McGregor and is a much better player than Forster.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It is part of the plan, yes, but they need to develop into being better players than we have. When they are ready to be the first pick then they will be.

My comment wasn't that we shouldn't have it, it's more that every time we are linked with a player, particularly an older one, the worry seems to be about which young players won't get a chance. We want to build the best team and squad that we can. If young players are ready to be part of that the great but it is not a goal in itself.
    Taking someone from the development squad is a risk but ultimately so is any transfer. The easy option or perceived least risk is going for the experienced pro but that isn't always the case. I personally would rather see Porteous on the bench and getting game time to see if he has what it takes than go for Wilson. We have McGregor, Hanlon, Forster, Fontaine (at the moment) and Ambrose (maybe) to help develop him, am not saying he would play week in week out but if you aren't even willing to give him a chance as a sub then what is the point in having that cost of a reserve/youth team.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I've not heard of him before and have no recollection of him playing for Celtic.
    Him and Ambrose were the ch's when Celtic beat Barca .
    he was a solid defender.
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Fonts is better on the ball than Forster and McGregor and is a much better player than Forster.
    Sorry MW just cant agree with that. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Yeah - totally agree
    MacGregor a better defender, Hanlon best on the ball.

Fontaine is horrendous on the ball. Constantly gives away possession.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This. I really like Fonts but his distribution is awful.

No, hes not. There is a reason Fonts always plays on his prefered side and we dont play 3 at the back without him. Moves forward with the ball and passes it well.

The reason Fontaine always plays on his preferred side is his right foot is non existent (which is a fairly common problem among left footers to be fair).

I like Fontaine , he is solid and dependable as well as being strong and decent in the air , but his distribution is woeful and likely the main reason he has been behind McGregor , Hanlon, Ambrose and Forster in the pecking order this season.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 17-05-2017 at 09:03 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    The reason Fontaine always plays on his preferred side is he right foot is non existent (which is a fairly common problem among left footers to be fair).

I like Fontaine , he is solid and dependable as well as being strong and decent in the air , but his distribution is woeful and likely the main reason he has been behind McGregor , Fontaine , Ambrose and Forster in the pecking order this season.
    He's no been behind Forster tbf. Only when injured has Forster played instead of him.

And he's so good you named him twice 😉

No, hes not. There is a reason Fonts always plays on his prefered side and we dont play 3 at the back without him. Moves forward with the ball and passes it well.
    You apply any sort of pressure or pressing on Fonts and he just lumps it long. He's down the pecking order at the back now, like I said brave as a lion and a great attitude, good in the air and strong in the tackle but sorry ball distribution not good. Sorry MW

The reason Fontaine always plays on his preferred side is he right foot is non existent (which is a fairly common problem among left footers to be fair).

I like Fontaine , he is solid and dependable as well as being strong and decent in the air , but his distribution is woeful and likely the main reason he has been behind McGregor , Fontaine , Ambrose and Forster in the pecking order this season.
    There is no world in which Fonts is worse on the ball than Forster or behind him in the pecking order.

You apply any sort of pressure or pressing on Fonts and he just lumps it long. He's down the pecking order at the back now, like I said brave as a lion and a great attitude, good in the air and strong in the tackle but sorry ball distribution not good. Sorry MW
    Is Hanlon down the pecking order as well? No...they are both injured.

Plenty of examples of Fonts being good with the ball, his first seasons especially

With Hanlon injured for the Scottish cup game at Tynecastle Lennon picked McGregor and Forster at centre half with Fontaine on the bench (later coming on to replace the injured Forster). Arguably our most important game of the season up to that point and Lennon chose to play with Forster and two right footed centre halfs rather than start Fontaine.

KW says he has spoken to NL. NL dismisses it as speculation, when usually candid.

Maybe a case of KW touting himself by trying to raise his profile?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

With Hanlon injured for the Scottish cup game at Tynecastle Lennon picked McGregor and Forster at centre half with Fontaine on the bench (later coming on to replace the injured Forster). Arguably our most important game of the season up to that point and Lennon chose to play with Forster and two right footed centre halfs rather than start Fontaine.
    Aye because the park was a tattie field and Fonts is a footballer, McGregor and Forster and blood and snotters types. Fonts was excellent when he came on and MOTM in the replay.

Is Hanlon down the pecking order as well? No...they are both injured.

Plenty of examples of Fonts being good with the ball, his first seasons especially
    Like I said we'll have to agree (first time for everything) to disagree. I dont quite see what Hanlon has to do with it? Blowing out someone elses candle doesnt make your candle burn brighter. Pointing out any deficency in another player doesnt make Fonts a better player does it? Im not the only to have remarked about Fonts and his ball distribution. Its all about opinions, im happy with mine as I guess you are with yours.

Like I said we'll have to agree (first time for everything) to disagree. I dont quite see what Hanlon has to do with it? Blowing out someone elses candle doesnt make your candle burn brighter. Pointing out any deficency in another player doesnt make Fonts a better player does it? Im not the only to have remarked about Fonts and his ball distribution. Its all about opinions, im happy with mine as I guess you are with yours.
    You put Fonts down the pecking order because he has been injured, I just assumed that logic applied to Hanlon as well?

When fit Fontaine is at best 4th choice centre half. Regardless if whether he is injured or 100% fit he is down the pecking order.

When fit Fontaine is at best 4th choice centre half. Regardless if whether he is injured or 100% fit he is down the pecking order.
    He is 4th choice if Ambrose is involved, 3rd without him.

You put Fonts down the pecking order because he has been injured, I just assumed that logic applied to Hanlon as well?
    I dont think I mentioned Fonts being injured?

''Good footballer, very comfortable on the ball''.

Fair enough if folk see it differently, suppose they prefer to focus on the poor things players do. I can think of many times Fonts has had very good distribution, joined in well with our midfield (especially in the 352) and played some lovely passes to Lewis that have led to chances down the left.

Sorry MW just cant agree with that. We'll have to agree to disagree.
    Well he is a hugely better player than Forster.

Sounds like a depth table required!

On the ball
    1. Hanlon
    2. Fontaine
    3. McGregor
    4. Forster

Cat among the pigeons but that's my view.

Tackling
    1. Hanlon
    2. McGregor
    3. Fontaine
    4. Forster

Had Hanlon lower but my brain reminded me of plenty epic tackles.

Heading
    1. Forster
    2. Hanlon
    3. McGregor
    4. Fontaine

They are all great in the air IMO so I've done it in order of goal threat.

Positional
    1. Hanlon
    2. Fontaine
    3. McGregor
    4. Forster

Pace
    1. Hanlon
    2. Forster
    3. McGregor
    4. Fontaine

Weakest category for all.

Beard
    1. Fontaine
    2. Forster
    3. McGregor
    4. Hanlon

This is where Hanlon lets himself done, his beard work has been non existent throughout his career.

Forster comes over weakest but still can improve although he'll be 24 soon. Rare for young players to have the physicality he had when he broke through.

Full season of Hibs fans Hanlon and McGregor at CH excites me. And with 11 year Hibee Lewis Stevenson on one side and Sir DG on the other we're certainly not lacking in heart.
    Last edited by KWJ; 17-05-2017 at 10:35 AM.

This just isn't true at all. I like Fontaine and think he's a reliable defender but I think even he'd admit that when he has the ball at his feet he isn't great with it. Ambrose and Hanlon are our two best passers of the ball in the middle of defence.

If anything in this Wilson would be a cracking addition no nonsense centre half and would be good in the big games

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Him and Ambrose were the ch's when Celtic beat Barca .
    he was a solid defender.
    Fair enough, but likewise I've honestly never heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    Sounds like a depth table required!

On the ball
    1. Hanlon
    2. Fontaine
    3. McGregor
    4. Forster

Cat among the pigeons but that's my view.

Tackling
    1. Hanlon
    2. McGregor
    3. Fontaine
    4. Forster

Had Hanlon lower but my brain reminded me of plenty epic tackles.

Heading
    1. Forster
    2. Hanlon
    3. McGregor
    4. Fontaine

They are all great in the air IMO so I've done it in order of goal threat.

Positional
    1. Hanlon
    2. Fontaine
    3. McGregor
    4. Forster

Pace
    1. Hanlon
    2. Forster
    3. McGregor
    4. Fontaine

Weakest category for all.

Beard
    1. Fontaine
    2. Forster
    3. McGregor
    4. Hanlon

This is where Hanlon lets himself done, his beard work has been non existent throughout his career.

Forster comes over weakest but still can improve although he'll be 24 soon. Rare for young players to have the physicality he had when he broke through.

Full season of Hibs fans Hanlon and McGregor at CH excites me. And with 11 year Hibee Lewis Stevenson on one side and Sir DG on the other we're certainly not lacking in heart.
    McGregor is number 1 for pace, easily!