hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Wilson

Kevin Wilson

Kelvin Wilson, the 31-year-old defender who played under Hibernian head coach Neil Lennon at Celtic and is out of contract this summer with relegated Rotherham United, has revealed he has held talks with the Scottish Championship winners.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Touching base in case we don't get Ambrose I'd imagine.

Would think Fontaine is away. Hope not, love the big man!

https://youtu.be/Ao5Kq0hJwzY

looks older than 31

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gringojoe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

looks older than 31
    Aye but he would be alright with a good pre season behind him.

He would certainly have been a decent signing a season or two ago but I think he hardly got any game time last season in a seriously struggling Rotherham side. Did he pick up an injury or something?

Notched up a decent number of appearances for Celtic and Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Touching base in case we don't get Ambrose I'd imagine.

Would think Fontaine is away. Hope not, love the big man!

Thought we had Ambrose till January... he needs to stay in Scotland for 5 more months to get his citizenship...

@hibs.net private member
    I'd rather Fontaine signed on that Wilson tbh but I don't think fonts will.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    He hardly sounds bursting to play for Hibs if the media report is accurate.

Let's hope Santa got him his ******* bike and he uses it to stay well away from Hibs.

Think Lennon needs to use his imagination more. Plus let's get strikers in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill_reed View Post
    Thought we had Ambrose till January... he needs to stay in Scotland for 5 more months to get his citizenship...
    I'd imagine we made contact incase we couldn't get Efe. I'd be very surprised now if he signed (assuming EA is staying)

Hanlon
    McGregor
    Forster
    Ambrose
    Fontaine (maybe)
    Porteous

Should be sufficient for the season

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I like Fonts but I think it might be time to move on. We should always be looking to move forward and improve where we can. Fonts has a great attitude and is as brave as a lion, but hes slow and has the turning cirlcle of the QE2 (that was a boat for our younger readers ) and isnt too cleverwith his passsing and general ball distribution. He's at a stage in his career where he will want game time and Im not sure hes going to get much with us anymore with Hanlon, DazM, Effe on short term and Forster all ahead of him IMO in the pecking order. I would rather see someone who can make a serious challenge for a berth in the back line, especially when Effe goes if its true he's only here until January.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    We seem to be linked with every ex Celtic player going just now. They're not all going to sign and tbh I'm not sure we need Wilson.

United we stand here....

Thought he left celtic because he was home sick?

@hibs.net private member therealgavmac's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    He hardly sounds bursting to play for Hibs if the media report is accurate.

Let's hope Santa got him his ******* bike and he uses it to stay well away from Hibs.

Love that song

This is a guy who doesn't appear to have been able to get a game in the back 4 of a club that shipped 98 goals last season, albeit in a 46 game campaign.

I'm not too concerned at the moment because most of this stuff is just media rumour, but I hope we aren't going to only be looking at aged Celtic and ex Celtic players ...... Its only natural that because of who our manager is we will be linked with any player with Celtic links who becomes available, but I would like to see a few rumours linking us with other folk too.

If half of the players we have been linked to so far, not forgetting Danny Swanson, were to arrive at the club and McGinn and Cummings were to leave it would drive up the average age of the team to a level that would make me wonder if it was healthy for the club.

Marciano ........... 27 .... still young for a keeper
    Gray ................. 29
    McGregor ........... 31 ... 32 in August
    Hanlon .............. 27
    Wilson ............... 31
    Ambrose ............ 28
    Stevenson .......... 29
    Swanson ............ 30
    Commons........... 33 ..... 34 in August
    Fyvie ................. 24
    Stokes ............... 28 ..... 29 in July

The average age of the 10 outfield players in that team by the end of August would be 29 ...... If we were to keep Fontaine and add Mulgrew for example that wouldn't exactly drive the average age down either. I'm not suggesting a team with those players wouldn't be competitive, but where are the youngsters and where is the sell on value?

First Team Breakthrough since90plustwo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FIN1875
    No thank you. Rather have hanlon, Mcgregor & effe. Forster & Porteous back up.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This is a guy who doesn't appear to have been able to get a game in the back 4 of a club that shipped 98 goals last season, albeit in a 46 game campaign.

I'm not too concerned at the moment because most of this stuff is just media rumour, but I hope we aren't going to only be looking at aged Celtic and ex Celtic players ...... Its only natural that because of who our manager is we will be linked with any player with Celtic links who becomes available, but I would like to see a few rumours linking us with other folk too.

If half of the players we have been linked to so far, not forgetting Danny Swanson, were to arrive at the club and McGinn and Cummings were to leave it would drive up the average age of the team to a level that would make me wonder if it was healthy for the club.

Hanlon .............. 27
    Ambrose ............ 28
    Stevenson .......... 29
    Swanson ............ 30

The average age of the 10 outfield players in that team by the end of August would be 29 ...... If we were to keep Fontaine and add Mulgrew for example that wouldn't exactly drive the average age down either. I'm not suggesting a team with those players wouldn't be competitive, but where are the youngsters and where is the sell on value?
    Let's keep in mind that what you've listed isn't a team, it has 6 defenders in it and you've also not included Cummings and McGinn who are our two prized assets and would drive the average age down quite a bit. Even then, the average is 28/29 as it stands with the team you've listed. It would be down to about 25 when you add McGinn and Cummings in. I don't see what's wrong with 28/29 being your average age, however it would likely be a good bit younger than that still when you actually put a team on the park that fits into a formation.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

Hanlon .............. 27
    Ambrose ............ 28
    Stevenson .......... 29
    Swanson ............ 30

Surely you want the average age of your team to be in-line with the age footballers are considered to be at their peak?

Coaching Staff

Hanlon .............. 27
    Ambrose ............ 28
    Stevenson .......... 29
    Swanson ............ 30

I thought the object was to win football matches? Age and sell on value are really not that relevant. Certainly in the era of free transfers.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I've not heard of him before and have no recollection of him playing for Celtic.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I've not heard of him before and have no recollection of him playing for Celtic.
    His name is actually Kelvin if that helps !

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Let's keep in mind that what you've listed isn't a team, it has 6 defenders in it and you've also not included Cummings and McGinn who are our two prized assets and would drive the average age down quite a bit. Even then, the average is 28/29 as it stands with the team you've listed. It would be down to about 25 when you add McGinn and Cummings in. I don't see what's wrong with 28/29 being your average age, however it would likely be a good bit younger than that still when you actually put a team on the park that fits into a formation.
    If you look at my post again mate you'll see that the scenario was based on Cummings and McGinn leaving the club and the average age of the outfield players listed ..... I'm aware that even if all these players were at the club they wouldn't all play at once, I was merely illustrating a point .... but even doing that, who are the young players waiting in the wings champing at the bit? To date Mr Lennon hasn't exactly seemed keen to give the youngsters much of a chance.

Scott Martin seems a real prospect, but has hardly had a chance even when we were struggling for midfielders. He gave Murray a run out against Raith Rovers, but that was a meaningless match ... would he have been brave enough to play him in a match with something at stake? ... I doubt it, I get the feeling he would have been more likely to stick Ambrose in midfield.

I also recall us having a problem at right back during the season and NL was more prepared to fit a round peg into a square hole than trust one of the youngsters. That hardly bodes well for the chances of the youngsters at the club ... time will tell I suppose.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 16-05-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Coaching Staff
    If you look at my post again mate you'll see that the scenario was based on Cummings and McGinn leaving the club and the average age of the outfield players listed ..... I'm aware that even if all these players were at the club they wouldn't all play at once, I was merely illustrating a point .... but even doing that, who are the young players waiting in the wings champing at the bit? To date Mr Lennon hasn't exactly seemed keen to give the youngsters much of a chance.

Scott Martin seems a real prospect, but has hardly had a chance even when we were struggling for midfielders. He gave Murray a run out against Raith Rovers, but that was a meaningless match ... would he have been brave enough to play him in a match with something at stake? ... I doubt it, I get the feeling he would have been more likely to stick Ambrose in midfield.

I also recall us having a problem at right back during the season and NL was more prepared to fit a round peg into a square hole than trust one of the youngsters. That hardly bodes well for the chances of the youngsters at the club ... time will tell I suppose.
    You still seem to think the object of the game is to play youngsters? They need to better than any other player we can afford. Playing youngsters isn't a goal in itself, winning games is.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    You still seem to think the object of the game is to play youngsters? They need to better than any other player we can afford. Playing youngsters isn't a goal in itself, winning games is.
    It's not quite as black and white as that though is it?

Youngsters need games to improve and loan moves aren't always the answer. Our "golden generation" were helped immensely by BW playing them after our safety was secured and they blossomed.

Fraser Murray looked a great player against Raith but he's not currently better than Danny Swanson, but he might be with 20-30 games under his belt.

Developing youngsters for the first team is definitely a goal and you can't do that without playing them. Some of them may not be good enough (Alex Harris), some may not do enough to attract larger clubs (Lewis Stevenson) and some will excel and bring in revenue that could be reinvested to improve the club further (Steven Fletcher).
    Last edited by KWJ; 16-05-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Yeh, but a young player only has 'promise' until you stick him in at the business end and find out if he can hack it with the big boys. I am not saying playing youngsters should be an end in itself, but like all clubs Hibs need to discover players who will have a decent sell on value and they will only achieve that value if they are allowed to show their talent in the first team.

Even Celtic give young players a chance and if we can add a load of experience to the team surely that would allow NL to give our younger players a run out in certain matches without the fabric of the team or its ability to win matches being compromised.

I would no more want to see Hibs field a team of 19 year olds than I want them to field a team of 30 year olds .... a balance is surely the optimum strategy.

Ajax's average age for their league game at the weekend was something like 20-21...

Dont care what anyone says, dont matter the age, if they are good enough they are good enough.

Hanlon .............. 27
    Ambrose ............ 28
    Stevenson .......... 29
    Swanson ............ 30

I'm quite happy to see our average age be a bit higher that it would normally be in our first season back up and re-establishing ourselves. We've been away for too long. Too many players with not enough top league experience.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by JDHibs View Post
    Ajax's average age for their league game at the weekend was something like 20-21...

Dont care what anyone says, dont matter the age, if they are good enough they are good enough.
    ...and clearly our youngsters are not good enough (yet), hence they are not getting a game.

Do you think Hibs/Lennon would not pick a player who was the best player in his position in the squad due to age?

Quote Originally Posted by gringojoe View Post

looks older than 31
    He sounds just like my father-in-law but he wasn't Australian.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    ...and clearly our youngsters are not good enough (yet), hence they are not getting a game.

Do you think Hibs/Lennon would not pick a player who was the best player in his position in the squad due to age?
    What if he was potentially the best player in that position but not quite there yet as he hadn't experienced enough first team Premiership games?

Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    What if he was potentially the best player in that position but not quite there yet as he hadn't experienced enough first team Premiership games?
    Then said player should take advantage of opportunities from off the bench and starts when the first choice is unavailable in order to improve their level and ultimately prove they are number 1.