hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: SNP nonsense

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A healthier Scotland!!!!!! Ronaldo7 has been drinking the sun oil I think.... A nation of fatties, that's not healthy! Even your fruit & veg comes in a packet- The Scots too lazy to cut your own.
    Image.1.247290318.jpg

Just taking the weight off for a moment. Back to work soon bud.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Sheesh, hope your fingers have recovered from all the typing mate

(for avoidance of doubt, that was meant in a light hearted, tongue in cheek spirit, in reference to the hard work you put into offering a very detailed response )

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    Image.1.247290318.jpg

That kind of obesity can only be achieved by eating endless amounts of Köttbullar.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    The problem is policy retro-fitting.

Logically, a party shpuld start with a problem, identify what they see as a desirable outcome and then work out how that can be achieved, and in so doing identify their policies.

The SNP (and others) effectively start with their solution (independence) and then try amd work back to apply that solution to every problem, whether it works or doesnt.

Their laser-like focus on indy is in many ways a big strength for the nats, but in certain situations it leads them to have to take strange positions or jump about a bit.
    You don't need a problem. You can have a belief in a vision of what you would like to achieve.

J

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    You don't need a problem. You can have a belief in a vision of what you would like to achieve.

J
    Of course, but its hard to sell a vision to a sceptical electorate who dont really trust politicians.

And the problem with the SNPs vision of indy is that to many voters, life is good already - they have the prosperous, liberal society that they want, so what can this visiob offer them that is so much better than the status quo to be worth the tumult?

Not everyone does of course, but until enough people either buy into a vision of an all things to all people utopia, or are so pissed off with the status quo that they decide to take the gamble, they wont vote for it.

The latter is far more likely to happen imo, a la brexit, and explains the SNP rise in areas of deprivation.
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 17-05-2017 at 07:02 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Empowering communities
    Scotland’s independence referendum was the biggest democratic exercise in Scotland’s history.
    We’ve launched a £200,000 Access to Politics Fund to help disabled people stand for the 2017 local government elections. And we will continue the fund for the Scottish Parliament elections in 2021.
    Local communities have been given a voice in the planning and delivery of local services - backed up by £20 million of funding - through the Community Empowerment Act.
    The Scottish Land Fund has already helped 52 communities across the country to purchase land, with over 500,000 acres now in community ownership. And the Fund has been increased to £10 million per year.
    The radical and ambitious Land Reform Act has been passed to transform rules around the ownership, accessibility and benefits of land in Scotland.

A greener Scotland
    Scotland has exceeded its target to produce 50 per cent of its electricity from renewables by 2015 - with almost 60 per cent of Scotland’s electricity needs met from renewable sources.
    Scotland is outperforming the UK and all but one of the EU-15 countries in reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
    With the support of the SNP Scottish Government, low carbon industries in Scotland and their supply chains generated almost £11 billion for the economy in 2014.
    We have blocked underground coal gasification and a moratorium means fracking cannot take place in Scotland.
    Scotland’s household recycling rate was 44.2 per cent in 2015 – up from around 32 per cent for municipal waste in 2007.
    Carrier bag use has been reduced by 80 per cent - the equivalent of 650 million bags - in the first year of the carrier bag charge.
    We’ve helped make our communities safer from flooding with investment in flood defences and new measures in the Flooding Act. And we’ve agreed a new 10 year funding strategy for flood protection, consisting of £42 million a year, aiming to protect 10,000 families across Scotland.

Supporting rural communities*
    A record £1 billion has been invested in vessels, ports and ferry services since 2007 as part of our commitment to our islands and remote communities, with six ferries added to CalMac’s fleet and two new ferries due for delivery in 2018.
    Road Equivalent Tariff has been rolled out to all ferry routes in the Clyde and Hebrides network, delivering significantly reduced ferry fares and the highest passenger numbers since 1997.
    Residents of Caithness and north-west Sutherland, Colonsay, Islay, Jura, Orkney, Shetland and the Western Isles are eligible for a 50 per cent discount on air fares.*
    With produce output worth around £2.3 billion a year and around 65,000 people directly employed, we work tirelessly to get the best deal for Scotland’s farmers, crofters and growers.*
    We played a key role in reforming EU fisheries policy to bring an end to the wasteful discarding of fish at sea.
    With food and drink exports valued over £4.5 billion and 14,000 new jobs estimated to be created in the sector by 2020, we strive to promote Scotland’s top quality produce.
    Fares on lifeline ferry services have been frozen for 2017 for passengers, cars and commercial vehicles.
    The clean, green status of our valuable food and drink sector has been protected by opting out of the cultivation of genetically modified crops in Scotland.
    Scotland’s first National Marine Plan aims to achieve the sustainable development of our seas.
    Enabling creativity and sport
    Free access has been maintained to museums and galleries, with over 27 million visits to Scotland’s world class national collections since 2007.
    In government we provided vital support for Scotland to welcome the world in 2014, with the staging of the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles and the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.*
    Since the SNP government backed the 'Daily Mile' challenge 180,000 children in over 1,000 of Scotland's primary schools now walk or run a mile each day.
    98 per cent of primary and secondary schools across Scotland are now providing two hours of physical education a week – up from 10 per cent in 2005.
    Over £162 million has been pumped into Scotland’s screen sector since 2007.
    Over £130 million has been invested in our cultural infrastructure - including the revamped National Museum of Scotland, National Portrait Gallery, and homes for our performing companies including National Theatre of Scotland and The Royal Scottish National Orchestra.*
    More than £19 million of direct investment in Edinburgh’s major festivals since 2008.
    £25 million for the Victoria and Albert Museum of Design in Dundee.
    1.5 million opportunities have been created for young people to take part in music and youth arts in 2015.
    …but there’s still much more we want to do. Together, we will continue to shape a fairer, more successful Scotland

Happy to help, and thanks for the opportunity.
    Yeah but apart from that.

What have the Romans ever done for us?

SNP getting a bit creative with their campaign literature according to this report:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politic...-nhs-1-4447467

...while this probably won't play out well for them with constituents. Bad timing for her just ahead of the election and I recall in my own constituency of Edinburgh South in 2015 how the SNP candidate quickly fell from grace after some insulting tweets about the elderly came to light. It may not have been decisive but it certainly helped to ensure Ian Murray retained his seat as Scotland's only Labour MP.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politic...fund-1-4447742
    Last edited by G B Young; 17-05-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    SNP getting a bit creative with their campaign literature according to this report:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politic...-nhs-1-4447467

I wonder if she chaired on of the sub-groups for the 2 year Review of Maternity Services organised by the Scottish Government, report was published earlier this year. She certainly wasn't Chair of the overall review. Maybe she just set up her own local review and didn't tell anybody.

...while this probably won't play out well for them with constituents. Bad timing for her just ahead of the election and I recall in my own constituency of Edinburgh South in 2015 how the SNP candidate quickly fell from grace after some insulting tweets about the elderly came to light. It may not have been decisive but it certainly helped to ensure Ian Murray retained his seat as Scotland's only Labour MP.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politic...fund-1-4447742
    I've not read a full report of the police inquiry but that article DOES NOT state that Ms Ahmed-Sheikh is under direct investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    I've not read a full report of the police inquiry but that article DOES NOT state that Ms Ahmed-Sheikh is under direct investigation.
    It says she is a signatory so she is under direct investigation. In saying that Nicola Sturgeon is correct to stand by her, the mischief making from the other parties shouldn't have much effect on her electoral chances. I suspect it will turn out to be nothing more than an administrative error.
    What did you think of Dr Monaghan's lies on his election pamphlets though? I'm surprised that those who regularly pick up on stuff like this have been struck strangely dumb.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    What's wrong with people changing their minds? So what if people have been "converted" from supporting the UK system to an independent Scotland after doing their research? They are quite entitled to do so. You don't have to be a "life long" nationalist, or even a nationalist at all to support Scottish independence.

The opposition like to throw the term "nationalist" around a lot, because it paints a negative picture. Many people support Scottish independence who don't consider themselves nationalists at all, in fact, i'd say the vast majority don't.

This is easily one of my top twenty favourite threads on .net.

Like a number of others I'm heartily sick of the politicians and parties but the smell of imminent crashing and burning in the air is satisfying.

I love the observation above. If supporting Scottish independence isn't the definition of being a nationalist, what is?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This is easily one of my top twenty favourite threads on .net.

Like a number of others I'm heartily sick of the politicians and parties but the smell of imminent crashing and burning in the air is satisfying.

I love the observation above. If supporting Scottish independence isn't the definition of being a nationalist, what is?
    How would you define a person who isn't of Scottish nationality who supports Scottish Independence? A Scottish Nationalist?

How would you define a person who isn't of Scottish nationality who supports Scottish Independence? A Scottish Nationalist?

You haven't answered my question. If supporting Scottish independence isn't the definition of being a nationalist (perhaps better described as a Nationalist), what is?

Left by mutual consent!
    You haven't answered my question. If supporting Scottish independence isn't the definition of being a nationalist (perhaps better described as a Nationalist), what is?
    An internationalist? Many people in Scotland want this country to be outwards looking, not inwards looking like the UK.

Testimonial Due
    I do enjoy watching many on the left wing of nationlism squirm at the thought they are nationalists. Its real cognitive dissonance stuff.

I dont see the problem with being a nationalist, personally.

Testimonial Due
    An internationalist? Many people in Scotland want this country to be outwards looking, not inwards looking like the UK.
    What does that even mean?

It seems to me to be a soundbite that has lost any meaning it ever had.

*civic nationalist

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    What does that even mean?

It seems to me to be a soundbite that has lost any meaning it ever had.
    Nationalism is patriotism (despite what Ruthie says).

You can support a nations sovereignty for reasons that have nothing to do with patriotic feelings. There are people who are not Scottish or have any patriotic feeling towards Scotland who have their own personal valid reasons for supporting independence. They certainly don't identify themselves as nationalistic.

Testimonial Due
    Nationalism is patriotism (despite what Ruthie says).

You can support a nations sovereignty for reasons that have nothing to do with patriotic feelings. There are people who are not Scottish or have any patriotic feeling towards Scotland who have their own personal valid reasons for supporting independence. They certainly don't identify themselves as nationalistic.
    Now we are getting on to self identification... are they male, female or non-binary, non-patriotic nationalists?

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Part of the issue re Nationalist/Unionist naming is, for many, it's negatively coloured by what went on in Northern Ireland.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    *civic nationalist
    I get that, and i kinda agree with it. But i do still think its a valid discussion to have.

Here is a question- how does civic nationalism fit with the SNP govt promoting the use of gaelic?

On the face of it, that is quite an ethnic nationalist move i would say?

Just to reiterate, i dont see anything wrong with nationalism / patriotism, im just curious how those who do reconcile these things.

Image.1.247290318.jpg

Didn't recognize you without a waving of your Saltire flag.. An essential of SNP fanatics I thought!!
    😂And I'll put a laugh face as to not upset anyone that I'm stero typing again.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Part of the issue re Nationalist/Unionist naming is, for many, it's negatively coloured by what went on in Northern Ireland.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    I would agree that both nationalist and unionist carry negative connotations.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    The question implies everyone is either a nationist or a unionist. Is that always true?

If not, then it makes sense that you can support one or the other without being denied as such.

nationalist
    NOUN

1 A person who advocates political independence for a country.
    ‘a Scottish nationalist’

1.1 A person with strong patriotic feelings, especially one who believes in the superiority of their country over others
    Happy to help (well, me and the OED). I consider myself a nationalist under 1 but certainly not 1.1.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    It says she is a signatory so she is under direct investigation. In saying that Nicola Sturgeon is correct to stand by her, the mischief making from the other parties shouldn't have much effect on her electoral chances. I suspect it will turn out to be nothing more than an administrative error.
    What did you think of Dr Monaghan's lies on his election pamphlets though? I'm surprised that those who regularly pick up on stuff like this have been struck strangely dumb.
    I'm still torn on who's "lying" here. The SG instigated a national review of maternity services a couple of years ago which reported early this year. She wasn't involved in this, as far as I'm aware. If she is chairing a local review as a follow-up to the national review how can she claim there is no SG involvement? If it's an independent local review why is she wasting time and effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    I'm still torn on who's "lying" here. The SG instigated a national review of maternity services a couple of years ago which reported early this year. She wasn't involved in this, as far as I'm aware. If she is chairing a local review as a follow-up to the national review how can she claim there is no SG involvement? If it's an independent local review why is she wasting time and effort?
    I have just re-read that and it's an odd one right enough.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I have just re-read that and it's an odd one right enough.
    I think he used her photo, implying she endorsed the policy and therefore giving it credibility.

Hardly crime of the century, but not ideal.

@hibs.net private member
    Give us some metrics then that prove this is a fact and not just a nonsense soundbite.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Give us some metrics then that prove this is a fact and not just a nonsense soundbite.
    Can you do so in reverse? Prove that Scotland's desire for independence is based on nationalistic values as opposed to constitutional ones.

@hibs.net private member
    Can you do so in reverse? Prove that Scotland's desire for independence is based on nationalistic values as opposed to constitutional ones.
    I'll take that as nonsense soundbite then