hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: SNP nonsense

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Phew - normal service resumed.

In fairness, I'm not disagreeing with the policies they are putting forward. I just suspect they will take the easy way out when it comes to funding them.

I think there's a general lack of understanding in this country about how social care works and is funded. If there was better understanding then I wouldn't need to post this, because there would be no chance that progressive policies were funded by anything other than taxation, and certainly not by cuts to LAs who have the statutory duty of picking up the pieces for the weakest and most marginalised in our country.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

In fairness, I'm not disagreeing with the policies they are putting forward. I just suspect they will take the easy way out when it comes to funding them.

I think there's a general lack of understanding in this country about how social care works and is funded. If there was better understanding then I wouldn't need to post this, because there would be no chance that progressive policies were funded by anything other than taxation, and certainly not by cuts to LAs who have the statutory duty of picking up the pieces for the weakest and most marginalised in our country.
    They (SG) certainly seem to be strongly hinting of tax rises. I suspect with an eye on polls and focus groups for now though. Hope they follow through and parties other than Tories obv, lend strong support.

They (SG) certainly seem to be strongly hinting of tax rises. I suspect with an eye on polls and focus groups for now though. Hope they follow through and parties other than Tories obv, lend strong support.
    It takes a leap of faith to say that you will increase taxation to fund progressive policies. I am in the higher bracket, so I reckon I would be asked to pay more. I don't disagree with that.

If they are willing to do that I would look on them more favourably.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Testimonial Due

I think taxes will rise- i dont see how they cant.

I think the childcare is potentially a good policy though - a good intervention at an early stage to limit the impact of feckwot parents on their children (trting to break the poverty cycle) and also good politics as the middle classes who will pay for it will also benefit.

Im not sure what 'progressive' policies are though? I know what progressive taxation is, but just using a positive pŕfix on policies you like seems a bit odd?

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    I think taxes will rise- i dont see how they cant.

I think the childcare is potentially a good policy though - a good intervention at an early stage to limit the impact of feckwot parents on their children (trting to break the poverty cycle) and also good politics as the middle classes who will pay for it will also benefit.

Im not sure what 'progressive' policies are though? I know what progressive taxation is, but just using a positive pŕfix on policies you like seems a bit odd?
    I'd agree, I think taxes will rise and bands will change. We'll then see how many on here are supportive of the changes.

It takes a leap of faith to say that you will increase taxation to fund progressive policies. I am in the higher bracket, so I reckon I would be asked to pay more. I don't disagree with that.

If they are willing to do that I would look on them more favourably.
    Me too.

The SNP has to be even more brave though, given the overwhelming antipathy of almost every media source. People will accept more taxation but will (rightly) expect better public services. No matter the actual situation on the ground, people will then be told loud and long that everything is going to hell in a handcart and they are being robbed. That's not to say that the SG shouldn't do what's right but it's pretty clear in advance what the opposition line will be.

First Team Breakthrough
    Vote yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    good news

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-41832155

A political blogger who was arrested over allegations of online harassment has been told by police that he will face no further action.
    Stuart Campbell, who is behind the Wings over Scotland website, was arrested at his home in Bath in August.

:)

Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 02-11-2017 at 02:41 AM.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RamYer1902 View Post
    Vote yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    good news

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-41832155

A political blogger who was arrested over allegations of online harassment has been told by police that he will face no further action.
    Stuart Campbell, who is behind the Wings over Scotland website, was arrested at his home in Bath in August.

:)

The Rev was a slight pain in the backside for me in a previous job, but it sounds like he's due an apology here.

First Team Breakthrough The Pointer's Avatar
    While his name is plastered all over the place there's not a word on his accuser. Should be a bit of finger pointing in her direction.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    While his name is plastered all over the place there's not a word on his accuser. Should be a bit of finger pointing in her direction.
    The media have a carte blanche to publish lies without any retribution.
    Small print apologies at the foot of inner pages seem to be enough to get them off the hook from wild headline sensationalisms..
    It's scandalous.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    You sound like the person to do it!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    You sound like the person to do it!
    Right on the nail.

@hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Scottish Childcare Minister and SNP MSP resigns over "inappropriate behaviour"

Mark McDonald is quoted as saying he believed his behaviour to be "humorous or friendly" but then resigns on the back of it.

Nice to see a deal to save Bi fab going into administration. Snp doing the day job, whilst others bake cakes and eat *****.

https://t.co/jxU3cyoZMJ
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 18-11-2017 at 06:59 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    Nice to see a deal to save Bi fab going into administration. Snp doing the day job, whilst others bake cakes and eat *****.

Credit where it's due.

Good to see the government facilitating talks and securing a commercial solution without tax payers money being involved

Well done to Nicola Sturgeon for banging heads together and getting a deal done. A real victory for the workers as well who wasted no time taking action to protect their jobs.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member
    Delighted that a sustained campaign from the trade unions saved the jobs, itís also good that the Scottish government supported them.
    Last edited by lucky; 19-11-2017 at 12:21 PM.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    An agreement has been reached to prevent engineering business BiFab going into administration, the Scottish government has said.

Talks have been held in Edinburgh between ministers and Dutch-based Seaway Heavy Lifting following a dispute with BiFab.

An agreement will see BiFab receiving payments to alleviate the firm's "immediate cash flow issues
    Union leaders from Unite and GMB have praised the Scottish government for its role in brokering the deal.
    We appreciate the role that the Scottish government has played in reaching a positive solution for all. "Seaway Heavy Lifting will continue to always treat its suppliers fairly, with respect and integrity and we look forward to BiFab successfully completing the remainder of the Beatrice jacket fabrication
    Utter nonsense that the SNP stuck their nose in to save jobs.

Well done to all involved except Richard Leonard for claiming it was only the unions involvement that saved the day. If that is the way he means to go on he may as well join Kezia in the Jungle.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post

Well done to all involved except Richard Leonard for claiming it was only the unions involvement that saved the day. If that is the way he means to go on he may as well join Kezia in the Jungle.
    He's maybe getting his fix from Alan Roden.

They all do these days.

Maybe just me, but Richard Leonard looks a bit like Hugh Abbot and looks a bit like Phil Hammond.

Is there some sort of identi-kit box for making your own politician?

@hibs.net private member
    He's maybe getting his fix from Alan Roden.

They all do these days.
    I doubt Rodden will remain in post too long under Leonard

@hibs.net private member

If they unions had not taken action the Scottish government would not have got involved. Itís was the workers who kept the sites open not ministers

Maybe just me, but Richard Leonard looks a bit like Hugh Abbot and looks a bit like Phil Hammond.

Is there some sort of identi-kit box for making your own politician?
    There's a factory in Oxbridge, wherever that is?

In a joint statement, Unite's Pat Rafferty and GMB's Gary Smith said: "Make no mistake these yards would be closed today if it wasn't for the dignity and determination of the workers and their families in Fife and Lewis to save their jobs and industry.
    "With their futures on a knife edge they worked for nothing, stayed strong and resolute and by staying united they have won their future.
    "Further, the Scottish government said they would leave no stone unturned and their efforts have been pivotal in bringing BiFab back from the brink."
    It doesn't seem like the Unions have a problem with the SG's efforts?

There's a factory in Oxbridge, wherever that is?

@hibs.net private member
    It doesn't seem like the Unions have a problem with the SG's efforts?
    Or the SG complaining about the great campaign by the workers and the unions.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Or the SG complaining about the great campaign by the workers and the unions.
    So the Unions are happy with SG and vice versa.

What's Labour's problem?

@hibs.net private member
    So the Unions are happy with SG and vice versa.

What's Labour's problem?
    Is it not possible that for once all parties involved actually contributed to a constructive conversation that resulted in a sensible agreement?

Does their really need to be a squabble over who gets the credit? And if so it seems to me most of that credit seems to go to the companies that have agreed to alter the commercial terms of the contacts in order to provide cash flow to the distressed party!