hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: SNP nonsense

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Phew - normal service resumed.

In fairness, I'm not disagreeing with the policies they are putting forward. I just suspect they will take the easy way out when it comes to funding them.

I think there's a general lack of understanding in this country about how social care works and is funded. If there was better understanding then I wouldn't need to post this, because there would be no chance that progressive policies were funded by anything other than taxation, and certainly not by cuts to LAs who have the statutory duty of picking up the pieces for the weakest and most marginalised in our country.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

In fairness, I'm not disagreeing with the policies they are putting forward. I just suspect they will take the easy way out when it comes to funding them.

I think there's a general lack of understanding in this country about how social care works and is funded. If there was better understanding then I wouldn't need to post this, because there would be no chance that progressive policies were funded by anything other than taxation, and certainly not by cuts to LAs who have the statutory duty of picking up the pieces for the weakest and most marginalised in our country.
    They (SG) certainly seem to be strongly hinting of tax rises. I suspect with an eye on polls and focus groups for now though. Hope they follow through and parties other than Tories obv, lend strong support.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    They (SG) certainly seem to be strongly hinting of tax rises. I suspect with an eye on polls and focus groups for now though. Hope they follow through and parties other than Tories obv, lend strong support.
    It takes a leap of faith to say that you will increase taxation to fund progressive policies. I am in the higher bracket, so I reckon I would be asked to pay more. I don't disagree with that.

If they are willing to do that I would look on them more favourably.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Testimonial Due

I think taxes will rise- i dont see how they cant.

I think the childcare is potentially a good policy though - a good intervention at an early stage to limit the impact of feckwot parents on their children (trting to break the poverty cycle) and also good politics as the middle classes who will pay for it will also benefit.

Im not sure what 'progressive' policies are though? I know what progressive taxation is, but just using a positive pŕfix on policies you like seems a bit odd?

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    I think taxes will rise- i dont see how they cant.

I think the childcare is potentially a good policy though - a good intervention at an early stage to limit the impact of feckwot parents on their children (trting to break the poverty cycle) and also good politics as the middle classes who will pay for it will also benefit.

Im not sure what 'progressive' policies are though? I know what progressive taxation is, but just using a positive pŕfix on policies you like seems a bit odd?
    I'd agree, I think taxes will rise and bands will change. We'll then see how many on here are supportive of the changes.

It takes a leap of faith to say that you will increase taxation to fund progressive policies. I am in the higher bracket, so I reckon I would be asked to pay more. I don't disagree with that.

If they are willing to do that I would look on them more favourably.
    Me too.

The SNP has to be even more brave though, given the overwhelming antipathy of almost every media source. People will accept more taxation but will (rightly) expect better public services. No matter the actual situation on the ground, people will then be told loud and long that everything is going to hell in a handcart and they are being robbed. That's not to say that the SG shouldn't do what's right but it's pretty clear in advance what the opposition line will be.

First Team Breakthrough
    Vote yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk