hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: SNP nonsense

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Attachment 19275

Building Scotland for all.

Looking forward to walking over our bridge on Sunday.
    I've seen a few posts on social media claiming that the police were trying to stop people flying saltires on the bridge today. Reeks of fake news.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I've seen a few posts on social media claiming that the police were trying to stop people flying saltires on the bridge today. Reeks of fake news.
    It wasn't true.. It really doesn't help us.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    It wasn't true.. It really doesn't help us.
    These bams believe they're helping the case for independence but in reality they damage it.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I've posted on the Queensferry crossing thread saying the Ambassadors did a fantastic job, and they did. We did encounter one over eager one asking how my 10yr old nephew got his flag through security, as they'd been told, no flags were allowed. It was keeping him warm was the reply. We walked another 50 yards towards the bus, and another ambassador mentioned how great it was to see the flag, and the Hibs badges.

I wonder if we'll see any flags on any of the bridges today?

Nice to see Fundee, and the weege get the 1500 jobs today. Well done the Scottish Government.

https://t.co/85Q5uEfl9g

Nice to see Fundee, and the weege get the 1500 jobs today. Well done the Scottish Government.

https://t.co/85Q5uEfl9g
    Well done to Dundee who put up a good case to get the jobs there. And to Glasgow, that sees even more Government jobs located in the central belt.
    It's no surprise that when it comes to dishing out these jobs Aberdeen missed out again. Sixty thousand jobs have gone in the offshore industry, it would have been a welcome boost for the area.. The SNP are happy to take jobs away from the City as they centralise our emergency services in the name of cost saving though.(Isn't that called austerity when the Tories do it?)

Well done to Dundee who put up a good case to get the jobs there. And to Glasgow, that sees even more Government jobs located in the central belt.
    It's no surprise that when it comes to dishing out these jobs Aberdeen missed out again. Sixty thousand jobs have gone in the offshore industry, it would have been a welcome boost for the area.. The SNP are happy to take jobs away from the City as they centralise our emergency services in the name of cost saving though.(Isn't that called austerity when the Tories do it?)
    We were told the UK government were looking after the oil industry with their broad shoulders, and the 200Billion bonanza. I'm sure they'll come up with it sometime, just like the renewables benefits.

I'm sure Aberdeen just got a city deal didn't they, can't have it all you know. Other jobs are being spread around Scotland, courtesy of the SG.

Meantime, we've got to get on and get those people trained and ready to go in the two successful cities.

Can any of the 1500 people teach maths?
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    We're importing Maths teachers from England.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    If only they could.
    Sturgeon did say she should be judged on education. Apart from some of her more slavishly devoted followers I doubt that anybody will be giving her pass marks. Even John Swinney says they must do better.

If only they could.
    Sturgeon did say she should be judged on education. Apart from some of her more slavishly devoted followers I doubt that anybody will be giving her pass marks. Even John Swinney says they must do better.
    The FM said exactly the same.

The FM said exactly the same.
    Which is a sorry admission to be making after ten years in power.

We can always do better. Just look at Hibs, and they've been going since 1875

Everything is on a (slow-motion) pathway to being awesome.

New school curriculum required and this time say to the teachers "tell us what you want and we'll provide it".

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    I see things aren't all rosie in education elsewhere in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41388079
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    I see things aren't all rosie in education elsewhere in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41388079
    I'm not so sure that has anything to do with the SNP.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Of course it isn't smarty I just thought it worth pointing out that the state of Edumacation is also poor in other parts of the UK
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Of course it isn't smarty I just thought it worth pointing out that the state of Edumacation is also poor in other parts of the UK
    Especially spelling.

Nonsense. Clearly Sturgeon's fault. Divisive division of dividers.

@hibs.net private member
    It doesn't tell you anything about the state of education apart from some nominal budgets..

The Nat 5 / Nat 4 thing up here still seems like a total mess and kids are definitely suffering with the pressures of trying to get into Nat 5 classes.

The publicly owned, not for profit, energy company, announced for Scotland at the SNP conference today. Thoughts?

Oh, and Mhari was not too please with Jezza's performance recently.

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/917790396058652677

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    The publicly owned, not for profit, energy company, announced for Scotland at the SNP conference today. Thoughts?

Oh, and Mhari was not too please with Jezza's performance recently.

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/917790396058652677
    I think it's interesting and it chimes with the public mood. There you go, I've said something reasonably complimentary about the SNP .

It's a very complex dynamic though - if we want a sustainable method of supplying energy that is environmentally friendly, then that will cost more, at least to start with. At the moment we seem to subsidise the positive rather than taxing the negative. That needs to change. It's probably fair to say that SG is limited in that it can only intervene at point of use, as this proposal lays out. The costs of nationalising production or indeed the whole market would be prohibitive and likely breach EU law.

The thinking on this seems to mirror Ed Miliband's from five or so years ago - tackling predatory capitalism etc. I think EM had the right ideas, ideas that the majority probably agree with, and maybe more so in Scotland and maybe more so now than then. He was hobbled by presentation and a genuinely hostile media though.

So at the moment it's a guarded welcome from me. Hopefully it is managed in a way that allows it to flourish.

I'm also looking forward to Rye Sloan's view on creating a big quango
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I think it's interesting and it chimes with the public mood. There you go, I've said something reasonably complimentary about the SNP .

It's a very complex dynamic though - if we want a sustainable method of supplying energy that is environmentally friendly, then that will cost more, at least to start with. At the moment we seem to subsidise the positive rather than taxing the negative. That needs to change. It's probably fair to say that SG is limited in that it can only intervene at point of use, as this proposal lays out. The costs of nationalising production or indeed the whole market would be prohibitive and likely breach EU law.

The thinking on this seems to mirror Ed Miliband's from five or so years ago - tackling predatory capitalism etc. I think EM had the right ideas, ideas that the majority probably agree with, and maybe more so in Scotland and maybe more so now than then. He was hobbled by presentation and a genuinely hostile media though.

So at the moment it's a guarded welcome from me. Hopefully it is managed in a way that allows it to flourish.

I'm also looking forward to Rye Sloan's view on creating a big quango
    Oh I'm here!

I've been too busy working to see the details so I'll hold my judgement until it's more than just a policy announcement...although yeah as you can imagine I wasn't instantly bowled over by the prospect of the SG going into the energy business, esp. at a time where traditional utilities and energy generators are facing such massive challenges to their business models across the globe....

But I will wait for the detail of the proposal and judge it then (honest guv. )

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Oh I'm here!

I've been too busy working to see the details so I'll hold my judgement until it's more than just a policy announcement...although yeah as you can imagine I wasn't instantly bowled over by the prospect of the SG going into the energy business, esp. at a time where traditional utilities and energy generators are facing such massive challenges to their business models across the globe....

But I will wait for the detail of the proposal and judge it then (honest guv. )
    Looking forward to your views when you see the details. We see things from slightly different perspectives but I have a lot of respect for your arguments
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member
    Looking forward to your views when you see the details. We see things from slightly different perspectives but I have a lot of respect for your arguments
    Likewise

From what I saw from the rest of the announcements I'm also very interested in how the SG is going to pay for it all....there seems to be no end to the largesse so the tax proposals will be the key.

Likewise

From what I saw from the rest of the announcements I'm also very interested in how the SG is going to pay for it all....there seems to be no end to the largesse so the tax proposals will be the key.
    This, or does the proposed public sector pay rise mean they reduce the staffing establishment to allow the salary hike.

A bit more transparency about costings would be welcome.

@hibs.net private member
    This, or does the proposed public sector pay rise mean they reduce the staffing establishment to allow the salary hike.

A bit more transparency about costings would be welcome.
    Can't imagine the SG wanting to be seen to cut numbers. It been one of the favourite games in Scotland to judge our public services by total spent (more is good) and total people (more is good and above target even better) so we shall see...

Can't imagine the SG wanting to be seen to cut numbers. It been one of the favourite games in Scotland to judge our public services by total spent (more is good) and total people (more is good and above target even better) so we shall see...
    Completely agree

The increased numbers in NHS staffing don't equate to better performance on waiting times or delayed discharge.

There's a problem for SG in squaring the circle. By my count there's at least a 1bn increase committed there (happy to be corrected).

That's only going to be met by taxation, reducing the public sector wage budget or reducing the settlement to local authorities.

My bet would be that local authorities are expected to swallow it. The SNP has form for it and with the shift in the make-up after the last local elections, they have more incentive.

The most vulnerable people in our society are the ones who tend to depend most on local authority services. I would be fearing for them tonight.

Completely agree

The increased numbers in NHS staffing don't equate to better performance on waiting times or delayed discharge.

There's a problem for SG in squaring the circle. By my count there's at least a 1bn increase committed there (happy to be corrected).

That's only going to be met by taxation, reducing the public sector wage budget or reducing the settlement to local authorities.

My bet would be that local authorities are expected to swallow it. The SNP has form for it and with the shift in the make-up after the last local elections, they have more incentive.

The most vulnerable people in our society are the ones who tend to depend most on local authority services. I would be fearing for them tonight.
    Phew - normal service resumed.