hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interestingly, I read an article this morning about the new sugar taxes coming into play and how drink companies were taking early action and drastically cutting the amount of sugar in their drinks. I've no idea why this isn't something they'd advertise heavily (making their drinks healthier) but it was noted that people who rely on grabbing a quick bottle of Lucozade might not then get as much sugar as they would expect.

One to watch out for if people have tried and tested foods/drinks they rely on.
    Think Lucozade have already started reducing sugar in their drinks Dan? I could be wrong though.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Think Lucozade have already started reducing sugar in their drinks Dan? I could be wrong though.
    Yeah, but I don't think everyone knows about it and it's not very well highlighted it seems.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Yeah, but I don't think everyone knows about it and it's not very well highlighted it seems.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Pretty poor really, if having a hypo and drinking Lucozade, which is lesser in sugar (if you weren't aware). It really should be highlighted on the packaging
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member vince1973's Avatar
    I use gloucose tablets when I hypo. Three of them and a wee sandwich and all is good. Never liked sugary drinks. I did managed to get down to 2.2 today after my lunchtime walk had to eat digestive biscuit as I run out of tabs 🙈Sorta ruins the diet when you need to eat sugar 😡

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Blog Entries
    I've read that a few jelly babies are a good source of sugar for hypos.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I've read that a few jelly babies are a good source of sugar for hypos.
    Aye, from me earlier on this thread? 😂

My wife is type 1 and that's what the doctors recommended to her when she was pregnant, 4 should be enough. Word of warning though, she fell into a diabetic coma shortly after having jelly babies trying to fix a hypo, when the paramedics arrived they were annoyed she tried to fix it with jelly babies, if it's a bad hypo you're having then they aren't suitable as don't work quick enough apparently.

I'm trying to help her (and shed some of my massive gut) by going on a High fat low carbs diet and I bloody hate it, breakfast and dinners are great but I'd murder someone for a packet of crisps or a chocolate bar right now and I'm only 2 days in.

Fair play to anyone who can stick to this sort of diet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

My wife is type 1 and that's what the doctors recommended to her when she was pregnant, 4 should be enough. Word of warning though, she fell into a diabetic coma shortly after having jelly babies trying to fix a hypo, when the paramedics arrived they were annoyed she tried to fix it with jelly babies, if it's a bad hypo you're having then they aren't suitable as don't work quick enough apparently.

I'm trying to help her (and shed some of my massive gut) by going on a High fat low carbs diet and I bloody hate it, breakfast and dinners are great but I'd murder someone for a packet of crisps or a chocolate bar right now and I'm only 2 days in.

Really dark 90%+ cocoa chocolate, like Lindt or Green and Blacks,in moderation, is worth trying.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Really dark 90%+ cocoa chocolate, like Lindt or Green and Blacks,in moderation, is worth trying.
    I buy the small packs of Bellarom dark chocolate from Lidl's. They're 40 gram bars and are 43.3g of carbs per 100g, so 17.3g per bar.

I've been doing low carb since the turn of the year and if you plan your meals well it needn't be that difficult.
    I recently found low carb pancakes (egg/cream cheese/cinnamon/stevia) which I have with bacon at the weekend, makes me feel a little more normal and a little less diet fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I buy the small packs of Bellarom dark chocolate from Lidl's. They're 40 gram bars and are 43.3g of carbs per 100g, so 17.3g per bar.

I've been doing low carb since the turn of the year and if you plan your meals well it needn't be that difficult.
    I recently found low carb pancakes (egg/cream cheese/cinnamon/stevia) which I have with bacon at the weekend, makes me feel a little more normal and a little less diet fanatic!
    I've been doing low carb for a while as well and agree that its been the easiest diet to do.
    Don't bother with trendy cloud bread, though. Its rubbish!!

I felt a bit light headed for the first week or so but that went and I got used to it. If I'm losing weight I go quite low calorie but I can feel a bit under-nourished after 6 weeks so have to give it a break.

Quote Originally Posted by cammy1969 View Post
    Hay guys ave just been diagnosed type 2 diabetic 7 weeks ago, which explains how ave felt for last 8-9 months 48 years old just put it down to getting old lived a party life for 30-35 years. Any tips for does n don'ts from anyone with disabilities mucho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cammy

I'm 60 and was diagnosed Type 2 in April last year. I had been near to falling asleep at work, couldn't work out what was wrong. I can relate to the party life a bit although gave up the Don Revie a few years ago to the benefit of my health.

I did the eye checks, cholesterol checks, feet checks and was referred to Diabetes classes. Nurse insisted I start on tablets. I asked how long for and she said syne die. Bugger that thought I so I sought a second opinion from the GP. He gave me 2 months grace to try diet, exercise.

I lost 2 stone and every day now walk 10,000 steps, drink 2 litres of fluid, eat 5-6 bits of fruit and apart from one luxury day per week, eat no processed food whatsoever. My gut and appetite have shrunk to the point where I can no longer manage a 3 course meal but that's more than compensated by taste buds that really savour all food now.

Big lifestyle change but never started the tablets and my readings moved to green by the time of my second 2 month check. Give it a try bud, may extend your life by ten years. Word of warning though. Mrs Cammy will have to put up with you chasing her around the boudoir a bit more
    Last edited by RIP; 05-06-2017 at 05:09 AM.

Sorry not got time to read the whole thread so apologies if someone has already posted this,go to the My diabetes My way site and sign up.It makes a few weeks to set the account up but it gives you access to your diabetic medical records along with really good advice.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cowiehibs View Post
    Sorry not got time to read the whole thread so apologies if someone has already posted this,go to the My diabetes My way site and sign up.It makes a few weeks to set the account up but it gives you access to your diabetic medical records along with really good advice.

very helpful site coincidentally got e-mail from them yesterday regarding the sugar difference in Lucozade

for all that's mentioned lucozade etc for hypos

Lucozade News
    Individuals who rely on Lucozade to treat hypos (hypoglycaemia) are being advised to check the labels of the energy drink as the amount of sugar per 100ml has significantly reduced. This change was implemented in April 2017 and will apply to all Lucozade flavours as well as the original drink. Previously, 100ml of Lucozade Original contained 17g of carbohydrate and this will be reduced to 8.9g. People who experience hypos are advised to drink 15-20g of rapid acting carbohydrate to treat their low blood sugar.

Suggested replacements for hypo treatment are as follows:
    1. 200ml of concentrate orange juice
    2. 4-5 Large Jelly Babies
    3. 4-6 Glucose tablets
    4. X2 tubes of glucogel
    5. 150 – 200mls non diet fizzy juices (however these might also be subject to change in the future)

don't know others thoughts on the glucose tablets but myself and daughter(both type 1) never use the glucose tablets for treating quite a severe hypo, they take ages to work but i do always have a packet on me just for taking 1-2 at the first feelings of possibly going hypo
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 01-06-2017 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    very helpful site coincidentally got e-mail from them yesterday regarding the sugar difference in Lucozade

for all that's mentioned lucozade etc for hypos

Lucozade News
    Individuals who rely on Lucozade to treat hypos (hypoglycaemia) are being advised to check the labels of the energy drink as the amount of sugar per 100ml has significantly reduced. This change was implemented in April 2017 and will apply to all Lucozade flavours as well as the original drink. Previously, 100ml of Lucozade Original contained 17g of carbohydrate and this will be reduced to 8.9g. People who experience hypos are advised to drink 15-20g of rapid acting carbohydrate to treat their low blood sugar.

Suggested replacements for hypo treatment are as follows:
    1. 200ml of concentrate orange juice
    2. 4-5 Large Jelly Babies
    3. 4-6 Glucose tablets
    4. X2 tubes of glucogel
    5. 150 200mls non diet fizzy juices (however these might also be subject to change in the future)

don't know others thoughts on the glucose tablets but myself and daughter(both type 1) never use the glucose tablets for treating quite a severe hypo, they take ages to work but i do always have a packet on me just for taking 1-2 at the first feelings of possibly going hypo

Great for exams, though!