hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPL payments

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

EPL payments

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40125394

Chelsea were paid £150.8m by the Premier League after winning the 2016-17 title - 50% more than the top earners in 2015-16.

The 2016-17 season was the first of the latest TV deal and saw a total of almost £2.4bn paid to the 20 clubs - up from £1.6bn last season.

Bottom club Sunderland got £93.471m - more than the £93.219m 2015-16 winners Leicester pocketed the previous season.

astonishing amounts

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    And to think that generally the standard of English football is still rank.

Left by mutual consent!
    And we keep hearing what the OF could do if down there. I haopen to think Hibs, Hearts Aberdeen etc might do alright getting 100m plus.

That payment to Sunderland spread around the 10 Scottish premiership clubs outwith the uglies would totally transform our game so far as infrastructure was concerned .... Or imagine what you could do to Hampden with 93 million quid ...... oh how the other half live

But once again it illustrates why comparisons between our game and what happens in the richest league in the world are utterly pointless .... It also makes it all the more incredible to think that most of the clubs in that league are in debt, big debt with some of them ... if their TV bubble ever bursts heaven help the lot of them.

If the tv bubble bursts it wont matter. If there's money to be made from a large support then clubs are invincible.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    They will not continue to rake in such ridiculous amounts of TV money and a crash is in the works.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The comedy of it is that English clubs pay twice what anyone else would for the same player. No wonder they are absolutely honking in European competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    If the tv bubble bursts it wont matter. If there's money to be made from a large support then clubs are invincible.
    Dunno about that mate ........ the money these clubs make through the gates is negligible compared to the TV money. If Leicester City fill their 32,000 capacity gaff 19 times a season and charge an average of £40 per punter that makes them £24,500,000 ... compared to the amount of money the need to put a team on the park in that league 24 million is peanuts.

If the TV money dried up the sound of cloth cutting would reverberate around the football world ..... they would still be big clubs, but the players would soon find that £100,000 a week contracts would be a long forgotten dream. Even Man Utd with a 75,000 capacity at £40 a punter would still only make £57,000,000 for a 19 game home season ... about 2 thirds of what the paid for Paul Pogba.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Rank? Really?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Ridiculous amounts of money but so is the above.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Really looking forward to the day the whole thing crashes and they all suddenly find out what "living within your means" is.

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Rank? Really?
    Probably excitement wise it is. Couldn't tell you the lastEPL game that had me on the edge of my seat.

Even the "big" clashes are mind boringly dull.

Certainly the money paid by Sky and their charges to customers don't represent value for money IMO.

The world wants to see these matches hence the big bucks. They want to see them because of the historical importance of English teams and the way their culture has shaped the game around the world.

I'm not envious, I'm just annoyed that our game hasn't been marketed in the same way as our game is just as important in a historical context.

Imagine hibs and hearts were fortunate enough to have these silver spoons shoved in our mouths. You have one immigrant club who have battled adversity and spawned creativity since its inception and another who provided a battalion that fought and died in the Great War. If we were English right now we'd be fighting off billionaire investors with sticks and there would be people all over India, Australia and Sweden who simply have to share their soul with Edinburgh.

This isn't even considering the other Scottish clubs and their proud history. It's annoying to say the least as even our runaway champions are dwarved financially by the likes of Bournemouth and Watford.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    Probably excitement wise it is. Couldn't tell you the lastEPL game that had me on the edge of my seat.

Certainly the money paid by Sky and their charges to customers don't represent value for money IMO.
    Was at the Southampton v Stoke game a couple of weeks ago. Cracking, end to end game. Stoke fans were brilliant.

The pace was mind blowing.

It was a great game for the neutral.

J

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    The comedy of it is that English clubs pay twice what anyone else would for the same player. No wonder they are absolutely honking in European competitions.
    Man Utd just won the Europa League so if English teams are honking what does that make the rest of Europe?!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post

I could count, on one hand, the number of games not involving Hibs or Scotland which have had me on the edge of my seat.

Are we saying that teams at World Cup finals are rank because the games are often less than exciting?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Man Utd just won the Europa League so if English teams are honking what does that make the rest of Europe?!
    They had to get past Celta Vigo and Ajax to do it, teams with a fraction of Man Yoos massive budget. Winning any major trophy is a great achievement, but the point being made is that English teams punch well below their financial weight when compared with the big five continental clubs.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Sunderland get 93 million for coming last, plus gate receipts plus parachute payments....

how much did Celtc get for winning our top division?

madness..
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Chelsea lost £70m last year, turned over £330 million with around £90m TV money. Take out the TV money and alot of English clubs would be donald ducked. Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    They're the richest club in the world TBF. Pogba cost Utd more than Ajax's entire turnover for the whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by surreyhibbie View Post
    Sunderland get 93 million for coming last, plus gate receipts plus parachute payments....

how much did Celtc get for winning our top division?

madness..
    Celtic got £2.8m last season for winning the league. Aberdeen just over £2m and Hertz £1.7m. Dundee Utd £950k. Figures from Grant Russell (STV) so should be legit.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Dunno about that mate ........ the money these clubs make through the gates is negligible compared to the TV money. If Leicester City fill their 32,000 capacity gaff 19 times a season and charge an average of £40 per punter that makes them £24,500,000 ... compared to the amount of money the need to put a team on the park in that league 24 million is peanuts.

If the TV money dried up the sound of cloth cutting would reverberate around the football world ..... they would still be big clubs, but the players would soon find that £100,000 a week contracts would be a long forgotten dream. Even Man Utd with a 75,000 capacity at £40 a punter would still only make £57,000,000 for a 19 game home season ... about 2 thirds of what the paid for Paul Pogba.
    There is alse enormous disparity between gates.
    I heard that arsenal make more from gate reciepts for 3 or 4 games than Sunderland do in a whole season.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Really looking forward to the day the whole thing crashes and they all suddenly find out what "living within your means" is.
    They kind of are living within their means - their means are just enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The world wants to see these matches hence the big bucks. They want to see them because of the historical importance of English teams and the way their culture has shaped the game around the world.

I'm not envious, I'm just annoyed that our game hasn't been marketed in the same way as our game is just as important in a historical context.

Imagine hibs and hearts were fortunate enough to have these silver spoons shoved in our mouths. You have one immigrant club who have battled adversity and spawned creativity since its inception and another who provided a battalion that fought and died in the Great War. If we were English right now we'd be fighting off billionaire investors with sticks and there would be people all over India, Australia and Sweden who simply have to share their soul with Edinburgh.

This isn't even considering the other Scottish clubs and their proud history. It's annoying to say the least as even our runaway champions are dwarved financially by the likes of Bournemouth and Watford.
    I don't think millions of sky subscribers are paying subs for a history lesson! Sky can pay these stupid amounts because people like me pay over £100 a month to sky.

The league is entertaining, of that there is no doubt. In terms of ACTUAL quality though, I'm not so sure. Technically, they are miles behind Spain/Germany imo.

Look at the recent performances in Europe (Champions League) and compare to other nations. Spain always have 3 teams reaching the quarter finals, Germany 2. If you add in Europa League then that figure would double. You could say "well man utd and Liverpool reached the final the last couple years" but that's only because they've failed in their attempts to qualify for the main event via league position so cling to that as a last hope. They're close to losing their 4th place because of how poorly their clubs are performing

I was a kid that grew up "supporting" an English club, Man Utd. I'll be honest though, the older i get the less i actually give a **** about them or their football manager type league. Bang average players moving for tens of millions of pounds. It disgusts me - that's maybe coming from a position of envy. We've got football clubs like West Brom/Watford/Bournemouth (all who have made excellent progress to reach the top flight) but genuinely believing they are bigger clubs than most up here. The potential Scotland has for an excellent product is scary but wont be given a chance, partly down to our own greediness mind you

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    The league is entertaining, of that there is no doubt. In terms of ACTUAL quality though, I'm not so sure. Technically, they are miles behind Spain/Germany imo.

Look at the recent performances in Europe (Champions League) and compare to other nations. Spain always have 3 teams reaching the quarter finals, Germany 2. If you add in Europa League then that figure would double. You could say "well man utd and Liverpool reached the final the last couple years" but that's only because they've failed in their attempts to qualify for the main event via league position so cling to that as a last hope. They're close to losing their 4th place because of how poorly their clubs are performing

I was a kid that grew up "supporting" an English club, Man Utd. I'll be honest though, the older i get the less i actually give a **** about them or their football manager type league. Bang average players moving for tens of millions of pounds. It disgusts me - that's maybe coming from a position of envy. We've got football clubs like West Brom/Watford/Bournemouth (all who have made excellent progress to reach the top flight) but genuinely believing they are bigger clubs than most up here. The potential Scotland has for an excellent product is scary but wont be given a chance, partly down to our own greediness mind you
    Decent post. However I do think there is some doubt in how entertaining it is, they amount of boring games I seen last season is as many as any other league. Sky sports and the British media have painted a false picture that has been getting gradually less entertaining since the mid noughties imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    I don't think millions of sky subscribers are paying subs for a history lesson! Sky can pay these stupid amounts because people like me pay over £100 a month to sky.
    Are people really paying that? My internet and full package inc HD with Sky is £130 without discounts but I only pay £58 cause they give massive discounts when you are in the cancellation period.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    Decent post. However I do think there is some doubt in how entertaining it is, they amount of boring games I seen last season is as many as any other league. Sky sports and the British media have painted a false picture that has been getting gradually less entertaining since the mid noughties imo.
    Its not the british media that is driving this though. It is media across the world. Of course marketing has a lot to do with it, but so does big, full stadia, and quick football.

For new audiences in asia etc, fast more athletic style of english fitba is probably more accessible and entertaining than the slower more technical and less athletic football of Spain or maybe italy.

Spain also suffers from lack of impressive stadia and atmosphete at times.

But its swings and roundabouts, spain will always be limited because its league is skewed by having two versions of the harlem globetrotters, but italy will rise again eventually - for thosr of us of a certain age, italian fitba used to be untouchable, have all the big players and have small teams like Parma (read bournemouth etc) spending money top English teams could rarely match.

Testimonial Due
    If I remember correctly, the highest paid player in the EPL is Paul Pogba and also the dearest to buy, and he is not worth half of the money paid for or to him?

All that money makes them any less cheaters?

Its all down to what they think is the best League in the world, it may have most of the best players and some of the best stadia, but as for what is played on the park, if you turn down the sound and watch the game only, it not that much better than any Scottish game in play!

Its down to how the sound is portrayed and the commentator telling you how great a move is, if done right it ups the game ten fold but the game does not change!!!!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    If I remember correctly, the highest paid player in the EPL is Paul Pogba and also the dearest to buy, and he is not worth half of the money paid for or to him?

All that money makes them any less cheaters?

Its all down to what they think is the best League in the world, it may have most of the best players and some of the best stadia, but as for what is played on the park, if you turn down the sound and watch the game only, it not that much better than any Scottish game in play!

Its down to how the sound is portrayed and the commentator telling you how great a move is, if done right it ups the game ten fold but the game does not change!!!!
    Its clearly a lot better than most scottish games, because it has bettet players.

Even if what you say is true, so what? Atmosphere, setting smd crowd are a huge part of watching fitba, something scottish aithorities have never grasped.

When italian fitba was top, it was partly to do with the ultras, spectacle and atmosphere inside all those stadia that had been renovated for Italia 90.
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 02-06-2017 at 11:20 AM.

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I could count, on one hand, the number of games not involving Hibs or Scotland which have had me on the edge of my seat.

Are we saying that teams at World Cup finals are rank because the games are often less than exciting?
    The World Cup games are free to view and there's no substantial rewards other than sporting achievement for the winners so not sure of the comparison?

Real v Barca games always have an edge to them as does Munich v Dortmund, the Milan derbies or either sides games v Juve. Generally far more entertainment on offer to that of the EPL.

My point is there's far more dross games in the so called best league in the world outweigh the entertaining.