hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cowdenbeath

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember this game too . Blackley penalty at Dunbar End so slope didn`t help us much that day ( losing 0 v 2 at ht ) which was I think his first competitive goal for us ( I remember him scoring only goal from penalty spot at Cave End against Hearts in East of Scotland Shield match about same time ( crowd only about 15,000 ) and an own goal at Ibrox a few years later ) . What I most remember is that Cowdenbeath wore all red that day - they weren`t known as Blue Brazil I don`t think but as a 10 year old I knew club colours and knew Cowdenbeath wore blue except that day for some reason . Game was 2nd January 1971 and we`d drawn 0 v 0 at Tynecastle just 24 hours before so it probably was the same day as Ibrox Disaster match .

As i mentioned earlier this was my first game, i dont remember it at all (your 8 year old mind trumps my 5 years old mind Iggy).
    My mum often told me about it plenty of times over the years but never ever mentioned it was the same day as the Ibrox disaster.
    Was several years ago i tried to look it up and found an image of the back of the old 'pink' evening news, giving the report on the match.
    Down at the bottom of the page was a very small 'newsflash' just before going to print, that stated Colin Stein scored a late equaliser in the old firm derby. I was only then i looked at the date and realised that my first ever match was on the same day as 66 people attended their last...it was quite a sobering realisation. :-(

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

As i mentioned earlier this was my first game, i dont remember it at all (your 8 year old mind trumps my 5 years old mind Iggy).
    My mum often told me about it plenty of times over the years but never ever mentioned it was the same day as the Ibrox disaster.
    Was several years ago i tried to look it up and found an image of the back of the old 'pink' evening news, giving the report on the match.
    Down at the bottom of the page was a very small 'newsflash' just before going to print, that stated Colin Stein scored a late equaliser in the old firm derby. I was only then i looked at the date and realised that my first ever match was on the same day as 66 people attended their last...it was quite a sobering realisation. :-(
    That's quite a memory to have carried with you for all of these years. Seriously, it's remarkable what some of us have seen and without forums like this these experiences would never see the light of day - they wouldn't have back then of course. Good on you mate for sharing that.....