hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cowdenbeath

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the moment the winner or the lowland league play the winner of the highlamd league then the winner plays last place in league 2. What happens if the lowland league winners win the play offs against say Elgin? Elgin surely can't go into the lowland league so how does that work?

they'd go in to the Highland league

2. Log in to remove the advert

I still haven't dried out since our last visit there, poured down for the entire match but they wouldn't let us shelter in their empty wooden stand

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    At the moment the winner or the lowland league play the winner of the highlamd league then the winner plays last place in league 2. What happens if the lowland league winners win the play offs against say Elgin? Elgin surely can't go into the lowland league so how does that work?
    The two leagues would just run with one less/one extra team as appropriate. Not sure what would happen if the scenario was repeated several times over but I'm sure they'll cross that when they come to it.

As a Fifer I've always thought there were too many clubs in the county. It's a county that is dominated by old firm fans sadly so clubs like the Pars and Rovers struggle a bit. The Blue Brazil are basically Rangers fans without the bus fare.

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    The two leagues would just run with one less/one extra team as appropriate. Not sure what would happen if the scenario was repeated several times over but I'm sure they'll cross that when they come to it.
    Selkirk we waiting on the results of the playoff, aparently if Buckie won and defeated Cowdenbeath, Cowden would drop into the Lowland and Selkirk would drop into the East of Scotland, as it is Selkirk stay safe due to East Kilbride winning meaning that Cowdenbeath will fill the gap left from East Kilbride if they win.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    I still haven't dried out since our last visit there, poured down for the entire match but they wouldn't let us shelter in their empty wooden stand
    I was there that night also, mate, and it was undoubtedly a totally miserable evening; talk about druckett. Pitch waterlogged and the fans even more sodden.

On another point, during the vote about the Rangers in 2012, weren't Cowdenbeath the only club to support Rangers remaining in the SPL?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Fenriz View Post
    Cowdenbeath are a team with a long and interesting history. The disdain that some folk on here have for smaller/struggling clubs strikes me as very Mercer-esque. Don't like it at all.

Check out this wee documentary about Central Park, with some fan stories:

https://youtu.be/TUifUrFWTmE
    i agree, they have a long history and a hardcore of supporters who have been there through good and bad.
    They have my respect and a Billy's big bawls approach from some 'big team' supporters is not classy.

Cowden survive by the skin of their teeth! Interesting to see Fraser Mullen scoring; remember his short, wretched spell with us?

Was wanting those mini huns to slip into obscurity

First Team Breakthrough
    A Liam Henderson scored the winning spot kick

Quote Originally Posted by steelendhibs View Post
    He's STILL delivering!!!!! 👍🏻😬

Quote Originally Posted by steelendhibs View Post
    Good hibby🇳🇬

At last a wee bit of respite for Cowdenbeath. Huge result for them.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    At last a wee bit of respite for Cowdenbeath. Huge result for them.
    I have a lot of respect for the people who support their wee local clubs. IIRC, there was a bunch of blokes from somewhere down in England who picked a team to support out of a hat and chose Cowdenbeath. They used to travel up for the games.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I have a lot of respect for the people who support their wee local clubs. IIRC, there was a bunch of blokes from somewhere down in England who picked a team to support out of a hat and chose Cowdenbeath. They used to travel up for the games.
    As a slight side to that, when I travel up for Hibs games on the train I quite often see (sometimes chat to) a lad who supports Albion Rovers. He travels from somewhere in Lancashire to virtually every game, home and away. For a club with an average gate of less than 500 thats pretty dedicated. Hats off to the fella.

Better with a progressive East Kilbride then a water treading Cowdenbeath.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    As a slight side to that, when I travel up for Hibs games on the train I quite often see (sometimes chat to) a lad who supports Albion Rovers. He travels from somewhere in Lancashire to virtually every game, home and away. For a club with an average gate of less than 500 thats pretty dedicated. Hats off to the fella.

That man is a legend. Respect him 100 per cent.

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    As a Fifer I've always thought there were too many clubs in the county. It's a county that is dominated by old firm fans sadly so clubs like the Pars and Rovers struggle a bit. The Blue Brazil are basically Rangers fans without the bus fare.
    I know a guy who is a ST holder at Central Park. He despises the hun as much as the next man. Think your comment is a bit disrespectful to dedicated guys like him who watch his club home and away.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Been emphasising the role 'wee' teams supporters play to my grandson, when he's been too dismissive of the small numbers who travelled to ER while
    we were in the Chumpionship.
    You have to be a proper footie fan to travel away to watch Cowden or similar. Or no' right in the heid.
    Either way, they form the base for the so-called bigger teams, because without them we would be playing with ourselves. Who wants to support Onanisme FC?
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I know a guy who is a ST holder at Central Park. He despises the hun as much as the next man. Think your comment is a bit disrespectful to dedicated guys like him who watch his club home and away.
    There's plenty of Rangers fans in the Cowdenbeath/ Lumphinnans/Lochgelly area, I lived in the area for nearly four years. Maybe you shouldn't criticize the guy on the basis of 1 person that you happen to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Better with a progressive East Kilbride then a water treading Cowdenbeath.
    I don't think East Kilbride are progressive at all, no turnstiles at their hole of a ground and 1 stand that has about 100 seats. I'm surprised that they could even get into the league with it.
    I wouldn't want one of our (relatively) local teams replaced by another bigoted team from the West.
    I'm happy that Cowdenbeath managed to retain their status.

I know a handful of Cowdenbeath fans, all of them from Cowdenbeath and all of them decent guys that just follow their local team. None of them have any love for either side of the old firm.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    There's plenty of Rangers fans in the Cowdenbeath/ Lumphinnans/Lochgelly area, I lived in the area for nearly four years. Maybe you shouldn't criticize the guy on the basis of 1 person that you happen to know.
    So are you implying the majority of folk who go to Central Park are huns who can't afford the bus fare? That's what the guy said. There are plenty huns in every town in Scotland so the assertion is pretty ridiculous imo.

I saw someone in a car recently who had a Rangers top on and a Cowdenbeath air freshener hanging from their rear view mirror.

Just saying. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I saw someone in a car recently who had a Rangers top on and a Cowdenbeath air freshener hanging from their rear view mirror.

Just saying. ;-)
    Maybe he was boycotting Sports Direct so couldn't get his hands on a hun one?

So are you implying the majority of folk who go to Central Park are huns who can't afford the bus fare? That's what the guy said. There are plenty huns in every town in Scotland so the assertion is pretty ridiculous imo.
    I'm my experience there are many followers of Cowdenbeath who support Rangers, obviously will be many who dont. From Donald Findlay to their blue, white and red kits and union jacks on display when we played them at central park they just reek of the hun. My opinion though.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Just saying. ;-)
    Smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    I don't think East Kilbride are progressive at all, no turnstiles at their hole of a ground and 1 stand that has about 100 seats. I'm surprised that they could even get into the league with it.
    I wouldn't want one of our (relatively) local teams replaced by another bigoted team from the West.
    I'm happy that Cowdenbeath managed to retain their status.
    Another bigoted team from the west? What a ridiculous statement to make.

I would be interested to know who exactly East Kilbride are meant to bigoted against?

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Cowdenbeath were one of the first teams I seen at Easter Road, 1970/71. John Blackley scored in a 2-2 draw.
    John Brownlie managed them, Keith Wright made his debut there and IIRC their long time benefactor Gordon MacDougall had Hibby credentials.
    Add to that, that Cowden were kicking a ball about in the Scottish League before East Kilbride was even recognised as a toon never mind a club, then I'm happy they are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Another bigoted team from the west? What a ridiculous statement to make.

I would be interested to know who exactly East Kilbride are meant to bigoted against?
    http://www.eastkilbrideconnect.co.uk/news/15152746.Sectarian_graffiti_being_investigated_by_ police/?ref=mrb&lp=6

Sectarianism is rife right through that side of the country, probably no worse in East Kilbride than most other suburbs but to suggest it doesn't exist there is as you put it, ridiculous.