hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cowdenbeath

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.eastkilbrideconnect.co.uk/news/15152746.Sectarian_graffiti_being_investigated_by_ police/?ref=mrb&lp=6

Sectarianism is rife right through that side of the country, probably no worse in East Kilbride than most other suburbs but to suggest it doesn't exist there is as you put it, ridiculous.
    Are you actually being serious here? Someone writes a few naughty words somewhere in East Kilbride and you label the football team as bigoted. As far as I can tell the link you provided has absolutely nothing to do with EKFC.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that East Kilbride FC are in anyway bigoted?
    Last edited by Since90+2; 21-05-2017 at 06:54 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

They come from near Lochgelly,
    They have'nay got a telly
    The're dirty and the're smelly,
    The Cowden family,

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Central Park is the worst ground in the top 4 divisions. Sooner a proper pyramid system including the Juniors is put in place the better.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Central Park is the worst ground in the top 4 divisions. Sooner a proper pyramid system including the Juniors is put in place the better.
    Good track though

My 1st ever game Hibs game was against Cowdenbeath. I think it was the same day as the Ibrox disaster.
    5 years old, my mum took me in for the last 20. Losing 2-0 and we scored twice for a 2-2 draw.
    Even if its for that reason alone, I hope they survive.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    My 1st ever game Hibs game was against Cowdenbeath. I think it was the same day as the Ibrox disaster.
    5 years old, my mum took me in for the last 20. Losing 2-0 and we scored twice for a 2-2 draw.
    Even if its for that reason alone, I hope they survive.
    Same game as I mention above with Sloop's equaliser.

As for the team, I'm glad they maintained their league status, but for their ground, they should be booted right into touch.
    An absolute midden of a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    I'm not sure there's much of a desire amongst the juniors to join the league set up proper.

Those that want to can take steps to do so by applying to join the senior set up. I believe one Fife based junior team have applied (possibly even been accepted) to join the EoS league next season with a view to working their way into the Lowland League.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I know a guy who is a ST holder at Central Park. He despises the hun as much as the next man. Think your comment is a bit disrespectful to dedicated guys like him who watch his club home and away.
    That ties in with what I know. I live in Fife and have taken in a few games with a Cowden supporting mate at Central Park and they are just local guys supporting their local team.
    Quite a sweary bunch mind!

Am glad they stayed up.

First Team Regular HIBEES 4 LIFE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm not sure there's much of a desire amongst the juniors to join the league set up proper.

Those that want to can take steps to do so by applying to join the senior set up. I believe one Fife based junior team have applied (possibly even been accepted) to join the EoS league next season with a view to working their way into the Lowland League.
    Yes Kelty Hearts have

I was at the game on Saturday. A decent crowd (1676), which illustrates their problem. A lot of locals turned out to watch this game but won't go for normal games. More attendances like Saturday and they wouldn't have to rely on the stock cars, which might allow the board to do something with the ground eg putting a cover on the open terracing. The EK fans got a bad soaking on Saturday, which anyone who experienced it watching us will remember as one of the worst events ever.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Milne View Post
    I was at the game on Saturday. A decent crowd (1676), which illustrates their problem. A lot of locals turned out to watch this game but won't go for normal games. More attendances like Saturday and they wouldn't have to rely on the stock cars, which might allow the board to do something with the ground eg putting a cover on the open terracing. The EK fans got a bad soaking on Saturday, which anyone who experienced it watching us will remember as one of the worst events ever.
    They don't own the ground anymore.

I have no problem whatsoever with Cowdenbeath retaining their league status, but the population of East Kilbride is almost 5 times the size of Cowdenbeath, there is surely a certain level of potential there. The OF do have a fairly substantial support in EK, mainly Sevco, but there are also quite a few Hibs fans too. They'd be a welcome addition to the Scottish League IMO. Just an opinion from somebody that's lived there for over 20+ years.

There are a few characters involved with Cowdenbeath that I'm not particularly fond of, but as a club I find them quite interesting.

On the same week that we got relegated, they hammered their biggest rivals Dunfermline 3-0 in the playoff finals, to retain their place in the Championship for the third season in a row. That in itself was a huge accomplishment for a team of their size, and you would have thought that staying in the league in the same year that ourselves, Hearts and Rangers would have been a jackpot for the club. Instead from building on the increased income from that season, they seem to have gone into complete freefall, almost disappearing from the league completely this week, and by all accounts with an even more dire financial situation than ever.

From reading 'Black Diamonds and the Blue Brazil', it seems that they've been in some sort of major peril for most of their existence, but given that they don't even receive income from the stock car racing anymore you do wonder what the future holds from them. Obviously mobility at the bottom of League 2 is to be celebrated, with deserving teams getting their chance at SPFL membership, but it would be a shame if teams that have battled around the lower leagues for so many years were to be completely obliterated in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Same game as I mention above with Sloop's equaliser.
    Just noticed your previous comment now Iggy.

I couldnt remember much about it but several years ago i looked it up to see who scored the 1st Hibs goal i ever saw. I thought Sloop scored the 1st of the 2 with a pen?
    Last edited by sadtom; 22-05-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Went for a feed with mates before a game there in the shimla palace ,next to the ground.a guy sat down .said he was told to sit with us.nice guy..had a good feed & a drink with him.he told us he was going out for a fag & never came back.cheeky ****** left us with his bill 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Went for a feed with mates before a game there in the shimla palace ,next to the ground.a guy sat down .said he was told to sit with us.nice guy..had a good feed & a drink with him.he told us he was going out for a fag & never came back.cheeky ****** left us with his bill 😂

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    I have no problem whatsoever with Cowdenbeath retaining their league status, but the population of East Kilbride is almost 5 times the size of Cowdenbeath, there is surely a certain level of potential there. The OF do have a fairly substantial support in EK, mainly Sevco, but there are also quite a few Hibs fans too. They'd be a welcome addition to the Scottish League IMO. Just an opinion from somebody that's lived there for over 20+ years.
    There was talk of Clyde relocating to East Kilbride a few years back but that has gone quite recently.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    There was talk of Clyde relocating to East Kilbride a few years back but that has gone quite recently.
    East Kilbride's the largest Scottish town without an SPFL team. One of my workmates who came from the town believed that Clyde missed the boat when they moved to Cumbernauld. The reasoning was that East Kilbride's population came mainly from the south of Glasgow and even if they were twin cheek supporters would have gone to watch Clyde as their wee team. Cumbernauld's inmates were from north Glasgow and weren't interested. He said it's now a generation too late.

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    East Kilbride's the largest Scottish town without an SPFL team. One of my workmates who came from the town believed that Clyde missed the boat when they moved to Cumbernauld. The reasoning was that East Kilbride's population came mainly from the south of Glasgow and even if they were twin cheek supporters would have gone to watch Clyde as their wee team. Cumbernauld's inmates were from north Glasgow and weren't interested. He said it's now a generation too late.
    Your workmate's right. It does seem a bit daft that a place the size of East Kilbride, with the 6th largest population in Scotland, doesn't have a team in the SPFL. It's much bigger than Cumbernauld. They'd get good crowds IMO, particularly for local derbies against Hamilton in South Lanarkshire and probably the North Lanarkshire teams as well (Motherwell, Airdrie, Albion Rovers).

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    Just noticed your previous comment now Iggy.

I couldnt remember much about it but several years ago i looked it up to see who scored the 1st Hibs goal i ever saw. I thought Sloop scored the 1st of the 2 with a pen?
    You could be right but it's not how my 8 year old brain took it in at the time....

@hibs.net private member
    Not sure EK would add much to the league. They obviously don't have a good team as they couldn't beat Cowdenbeath over two games. Whilst their catchment area might be big but as Livingston have shown moving to a new town does not generate much of a support

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    They don't own the ground anymore.
    I wasn't aware of that! There's no hope for them then, might have been better quietly slipping away.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Not sure EK would add much to the league. They obviously don't have a good team as they couldn't beat Cowdenbeath over two games. Whilst their catchment area might be big but as Livingston have shown moving to a new town does not generate much of a support
    I can understand that point of view, but EK FC in 2016 broke the record for most consecutive wins held by Ajax. 30 wins in a row. They only lost out to Cowdenbeath in a penalty shoot-out. I just think there's a lot of potential there, and hope that some time in the near future they get the opportunity to join the SPFL, but it is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Milne View Post
    I wasn't aware of that! There's no hope for them then, might have been better quietly slipping away.
    They've been trying to get the new community stadium off the ground as Central Park is long past it's sell buy date - even for the stockies.
    The plan is to have a stadium next to the A92 with a surrounding sports facilities available to the local communities of Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly and the eastern expansion of Dunfermline.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    As a Fifer I've always thought there were too many clubs in the county. It's a county that is dominated by old firm fans sadly so clubs like the Pars and Rovers struggle a bit. The Blue Brazil are basically Rangers fans without the bus fare.
    If the The Rangers application to join the league has been refused in favour of, Spartans say, then maybe clubs like Cowdenbeath might have prospered.
    Unfortunately though, they are now a club with a stadium from the 1920's and an almost non existent support and are really a prime example of what's wrong with Scottish football. We have too many clubs, particularly in the Fife area and, IMO, should be one of the clubs cut/emalgamated for the longer term good of our game.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    They've been trying to get the new community stadium off the ground as Central Park is long past it's sell buy date - even for the stockies.
    The plan is to have a stadium next to the A92 with a surrounding sports facilities available to the local communities of Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly and the eastern expansion of Dunfermline.
    The guy from Cowdenbeath at my work says they have also been investigating ground sharing with Kelty Hearts at their stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Cowdenbeath were one of the first teams I seen at Easter Road, 1970/71. John Blackley scored in a 2-2 draw.
    John Brownlie managed them, Keith Wright made his debut there and IIRC their long time benefactor Gordon MacDougall had Hibby credentials.
    Add to that, that Cowden were kicking a ball about in the Scottish League before East Kilbride was even recognised as a toon never mind a club, then I'm happy they are still around.
    I remember this game too . Blackley penalty at Dunbar End so slope didn`t help us much that day ( losing 0 v 2 at ht ) which was I think his first competitive goal for us ( I remember him scoring only goal from penalty spot at Cave End against Hearts in East of Scotland Shield match about same time ( crowd only about 15,000 ) and an own goal at Ibrox a few years later ) . What I most remember is that Cowdenbeath wore all red that day - they weren`t known as Blue Brazil I don`t think but as a 10 year old I knew club colours and knew Cowdenbeath wore blue except that day for some reason . Game was 2nd January 1971 and we`d drawn 0 v 0 at Tynecastle just 24 hours before so it probably was the same day as Ibrox Disaster match .

Don't know the ins and out of Cowden as a club but considering they were in the championship 2 years ago and now they've just survived falling out of the Scottish leagues altogether by the skin of their teeth is a pretty sad state.

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    If the The Rangers application to join the league has been refused in favour of, Spartans say, then maybe clubs like Cowdenbeath might have prospered.
    Unfortunately though, they are now a club with a stadium from the 1920's and an almost non existent support and are really a prime example of what's wrong with Scottish football. We have too many clubs, particularly in the Fife area and, IMO, should be one of the clubs cut/emalgamated for the longer term good of our game.
    That's a pretty crass and condescending statement imo. Were you around in 1990? If so, I cannot believe you've come out with a merger statement.