hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two interesting bits of hearsay...

1. Lennon has supposedly set a target of finishing 2nd for next season.

2. Ambrose deal a real possibility. Player not being greedy at all.

For what it's worth.
    Well I hope that he will get a healthy budget to make it a realistic target.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Off topic but whatever happened to the young guy Dunsmore (was it)?

At one time he was touted as cover for SDG but seems to have disappeared right off the radar
    He's been released by Hibs

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Great news if true.

Tbh I will be very surprised if we come 2nd but there's no reason not to aim for that!
    I would be surprised and delighted but given Lennon says we are already the second best team in the country he hasn't left himself with any other option but to aim for 2nd or better.

For what it's worth.
    Thanks for that Speedway. I see nothing wrong with setting our targets/ambitions high.

If we could get Ambrose it would be a statement of real intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it's worth.
    Great stuff. Would be a good problem to have, but I wonder who misses out when Darren, Hanlon and Ambrose are all fit? Back three a possibility but Lennon seems to favour the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I would be surprised and delighted but given Lennon says we are already the second best team in the country he hasn't left himself with any other option but to aim for 2nd or better.
    He said in on Hibs TV didn't he?

Probably just appealing to the fans and maybe didn't expect it to be picked up by the national media

He said in on Hibs TV didn't he?

Probably just appealing to the fans and maybe didn't expect it to be picked up by the national media
    NL doesn't just say things for the sake of it, he is a born winner, and will genuinely think we can achieve 2nd....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    NL doesn't just say things for the sake of it, he is a born winner, and will genuinely think we can achieve 2nd....
    I'm talking about him saying that we're the 2nd best team in the country because to be honest, if he genuinely believes that then he's deluded

Coaching Staff
    I'm talking about him saying that we're the 2nd best team in the country because to be honest, if he genuinely believes that then he's deluded
    Is he?

I don't think he is suggesting we have the record for that, although holding the Scottish cup helped. His comments were on the back of largely outplaying the team that have been second best for a while and I suppose in beating Hearts as well. Nothing at all deluded about him thinking he has the second best squad in the country.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He's been released by Hibs
    Thanks Billy

One thing he ain't is deluded......
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    One thing he ain't is deluded......
    Aberdeen have 3 less points than us with a game in hand, and they're in the league above.

Sure we can play well in the big games but it's about consistently playing well in the league which we have obviously struggled with the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Great stuff. Would be a good problem to have, but I wonder who misses out when Darren, Hanlon and Ambrose are all fit? Back three a possibility but Lennon seems to favour the 4.
    A back 3 with Whitaker at RWB would be a good option. We would however need a LWB as well as I dont think Stevenson would be up to that role.

Whitaker was never a right back and used to give me nightmares defensively....RWB/RM would have been his best position IMO

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Whittaker was seriously underrated at ER. Be a very good signing but would be very surprised due to the money he'll have been used to.

Lennon is anything but deluded. If he thinks we are the second best team in the country I'm confident he'll go on to prove that. Think it's more a statement of intent and will look forward to seeing what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    A back 3 with Whitaker at RWB would be a good option. We would however need a LWB as well as I dont think Stevenson would be up to that role.

Whitaker was never a right back and used to give me nightmares defensively....RWB/RM would have been his best position IMO

I dont think he has any problems defending/ attacking in the LWB role and has bags of stamina, it's maybe just his final ball that lets him down a bit, but would not say he's not up to it.
    Last edited by houstonhibbee; 04-05-2017 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Whittaker was seriously underrated at ER. Be a very good signing but would be very surprised due to the money he'll have been used to.

Lennon is anything but deluded. If he thinks we are the second best team in the country I'm confident he'll go on to prove that. Think it's more a statement of intent and will look forward to seeing what he does.
    hes 33 out of contract and back in our range . Lennons call but looks good in theory. Not sure was underated got good fee and with Murphy was best attacking back of recent times.

Aberdeen have 3 less points than us with a game in hand, and they're in the league above.

Sure we can play well in the big games but it's about consistently playing well in the league which we have obviously struggled with the last few years
    Teams don't pack 11 men behind the ball every week against Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Teams don't pack 11 men behind the ball every week against Aberdeen.
    Yes and in two games in cup last two season we dont look far off same level as them. I salute win rate achieved though. Spl is now reflecting money spent squad to table

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    I'm annoyed he's not targeting 1st 🙈
    Surely he is targeting first place or what would be the point.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Surely he is targeting first place or what would be the point.
    What if Leicester had only targeted 2nd position last year?
    To be fair, if we come close to challenging Celtic, they will just buy our key players in January to weaken us as they did to the Arabs a couple of years ago.
    Nothing changes.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    To be fair, if we come close to challenging Celtic, they will just buy our key players in January to weaken us as they did to the Arabs a couple of years ago.
    Nothing changes.
    To be honest I doubt if Leicester targeted anything other than survival at the start of last season. Obviously targets change as the season goes on.

Nothing changes.
    Surely every year your target has to be to win the league you are in. Coming second may well seem at the end of the season to be a job well done but targeting second place in any sport is not what I want to hear. The champions league money and targeting at least fourth place in EPL is a prime example of how money has changed the perspective of success.If Leicester targeted second place then fair enough but if anything they have proved that targeting 1st place is not as daft as it seems.

If we finish 2nd it would be an absolutely massive achievement.

We only have 6 second places in our history.
    Aberdeen have 16 if you include this year.

Out of the top 6 would be a failure.
    Top 4 would be an excellent result as we'd finish above one of sevco or hearts - possibly both if the latter are as bad as they were this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Surely every year your target has to be to win the league you are in. Coming second may well seem at the end of the season to be a job well done but targeting second place in any sport is not what I want to hear. The champions league money and targeting at least fourth place in EPL is a prime example of how money has changed the perspective of success.If Leicester targeted second place then fair enough but if anything they have proved that targeting 1st place is not as daft as it seems.

Even Ranieri at Leicester didn't target 1st, in an interview he said his main aim was to finish in the top half, considering they were nearly relegated the previous season. Obviously every team would love to win the league they're playing in but you have to realistic in what you can achieve with the resources available.

Celtic as so far ahead of everyone else right now and there's no way we or indeed anyone else in the SPL will come close to them again next season, all we can try is to push them a lot closer by closing the points gap and making it harder for them to win it. Lennon has earmarked 2nd spot in the league as his main target and I'm glad he wants to aim that high instead of just accepting a top 4 finish and mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Even Ranieri at Leicester didn't target 1st, in an interview he said his main aim was to finish in the top half, considering they were nearly relegated the previous season. Obviously every team would love to win the league they're playing in but you have to realistic in what you can achieve with the resources available.

Celtic as so far ahead of everyone else right now and there's no way we or indeed anyone else in the SPL will come close to them again next season, all we can try is to push them a lot closer by closing the points gap and making it harder for them to win it. Lennon has earmarked 2nd spot in the league as his main target and I'm glad he wants to aim that high instead of just accepting a top 4 finish and mediocrity.
    It's not about just aiming for second. If you go into a league where you have the mentality that a team in it can beat you then you are half beaten before the ball is kicked. Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen and Ned convinced their teams that they were better than the OF. The job was half done before kick off.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post

Why not aim for first and if we finish second then we have under achieved :-)

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    From memory, he could take a throw-in though.
    I've no idea how or why, but we've really struggled the last 10 years or so to play the ball out from a throw-in. We dither too much then put ourselves under pressure.
    Ambrose gives us another option with long throws when we're in the final third, but there's no guarantee at this moment he's staying.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I've no idea how or why, but we've really struggled the last 10 years or so to play the ball out from a throw-in. We dither too much then put ourselves under pressure.
    Ambrose gives us another option with long throws when we're in the final third, but there's no guarantee at this moment he's staying.
    Very good points. 2 things that have really annoyed me over the last few years are the poor throw-ins and rubbish short corners.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    It's not the thrower that's the problem - it's the lack of movement from the potential receivers.
    The shysters - if you excuse the pun

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    The shysters - if you excuse the pun
    Well played sir, well played!