hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No way any of them are being offered 20% better wages IMO. There is no queue of clubs waiting to sign any of our out of contract players. They are all decent players and I hope we keep the majority but none of them are likely to get better offers than we are giving them. I would be surprised if any of them were being offered improved terms and I think a few of them (older ones like Fontaine) will be looking at reduced terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said we don't know details of our players wages, so it's all speculation. Certain players may have a promotion clause in the contract that means their wage increases but seeing as we were already paying SPL wages to the better players, this won't be the case, it might just be down to squad status or length of contract.

2. Log in to remove the advert

People saying whittikar can play on the wing are thinking of the old whittikar too much imo.

he will come in as a solid right back who likes to get forward, could play as part of a 3, right back or right wing back.

He will come in as a defender and he will play there, hes a tank now too and would be an improvement on David Gray.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    He is a professional footballer if Hearts offer him a better deal then he will sign for them. We would all love to think otherwise but that's how modern football is. All about the cash. Hope he doesn't but wouldn't be surprised if he did.
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    People saying whittikar can play on the wing are thinking of the old whittikar too much imo.

he will come in as a solid right back who likes to get forward, could play as part of a 3, right back or right wing back.

He will come in as a defender and he will play there, hes a tank now too and would be an improvement on David Gray.
    The way Scotland have been playing at times, Whittaker and SDG will be vying for the Scotland right back spot
    Both are way better than Callum Paterson

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    The way Scotland have been playing at times, Whittaker and SDG will be vying for the Scotland right back spot
    Both are way better than Callum Paterson
    Correct, although I read Cathro saying today that Paterson is irreplaceable. You can only take that as saying they've no money so they'll be getting an even poorer player in.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I'd have Whittaker on right mid with SDG behind him at right back. Allows excellent opportunities to overlap with SW dropping in to defence to cover and time Gray goes forward and vice versa.

David Gray is a pretty significantly better defender than Whittaker IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see him played further forward if we sign him. Whitts might be better at this level, but having seen him play 20s games for Norwich and occasionally in the first team, he really does makes some unbelievable errors at the back.

Could be circumstantial mind, might be able to find form with us and I hope he does.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I'd have Whittaker on right mid with SDG behind him at right back. Allows excellent opportunities to overlap with SW dropping in to defence to cover and time Gray goes forward and vice versa.
    Sounds bang on to me.
    Always thought Whittaker better going forward than defending.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    David Gray is a pretty significantly better defender than Whittaker IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see him played further forward if we sign him. Whitts might be better at this level, but having seen him play 20s games for Norwich and occasionally in the first team, he really does makes some unbelievable errors at the back.

Could be circumstantial mind, might be able to find form with us and I hope he does.
    Thats a ridiculous statement to make.

David Gray makes plenty of mistakes in this league, never mind a higher level. Whittaker has 30caps for his country, played at the highest level down south and has been in a european final.

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    When I saw Jordon Forster wearing the armband on Saturday and SDG was playing, I felt the writing was on the wall for our Scottish Cup winning Captain
    Maybe reading it wrong but perhaps its Forster that's been told to find a new club.... I believe he has a year remaining but maybe there is something in letting him be capt for the day? Cant understand why you would have the CC on the pitch but not have the armband with two games left of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by JDHibs View Post
    Thats a ridiculous statement to make.

David Gray makes plenty of mistakes in this league, never mind a higher level. Whittaker has 30caps for his country, played at the highest level down south and has been in a european final.
    I'm well aware of the levels Whittaker has deservedly reached in his career, it doesn't change my view. On the ball, Whittaker is on a different planet to Gray, but going on what I've seen from both of them recently, Gray is better at the back.

The Norwich supporters I know wouldn't think it's ridiculous either. As I said above, Whittaker could well blossom playing with us at a lower level, but that doesn't change how he's played defensively for Norwich the last couple of seasons, at both senior level and bellow.

Gray is a defender first and an attacker second, Whittaker is the reverse of that.

I'm well aware of the levels Whittaker has deservedly reached in his career, it doesn't change my view. On the ball, Whittaker is on a different planet to Gray, but going on what I've seen from both of them recently, Gray is better at the back.

The Norwich supporters I know wouldn't think it's ridiculous either. As I said above, Whittaker could well blossom playing with us at a lower level, but that doesn't change how he's played defensively for Norwich the last couple of seasons, at both senior level and bellow.

Gray is a defender first and an attacker second, Whittaker is the reverse of that.
    Agreed in the main.

Whittaker made plenty mistakes at the back last time he was at ER.

Gray makes mistakes too but some strange dewy eyed, re-writing of history going on here for SW.

Decent player going forward mind and can find the net, possibly more so at this level now than down south. We'll see.

@hibs.net private member

Can't agree that SDG is a better defender than SW. DG has spent his career in the lower leagues of England and Scotland where SW has played at the highest level. SW would be a significant improvement on DG.

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    I certainly hope that other scottish teams are not offering more than we are giving to our cup winning captain.
    Why ? So we should pay way over what NL thinks he is worth just because someone else will ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    A soon to be 33 year old who will demand a high wage, not so sure myself but if Lennon thinks he can do a job for us then fair enough.
    Whilst I'd never dismiss anyone on the grounds of age (The King was 39 when he stopped though he is the exception to the rule and indeed, close to Godliness as it comes) .... that said, I wouldn't be too keen to pay large wages for a 33 year old either. Unless someone has a DeLorean and convince the King at 33 to play at ER

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Can't agree that SDG is a better defender than SW. DG has spent his career in the lower leagues of England and Scotland where SW has played at the highest level. SW would be a significant improvement on DG.
    Whittakers strength is going forward while David is being a solid defender. You have got to take the age into it also DG is 28 SW is about to turn 33.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    I hope you're right of course. Again my point would be if Whittaker wasn't as good at going forward as he is, I'm not sure he would have made it near that level on his defensive merits alone. I think he could be a splendid addition as a ball player, it's just having seen him at the back of recent, I think we have better defensive players. Time will tell. He's certainly a better player than the rest of our defenders.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Love David Gray he will always be a Hibs hero but we need to move on and we need to employ better players if we are going to progress next season. IMO Steven Whittakeris a better player and if we can get him and DG wants to move on then that's football I'm afraid. I would replace any Hibs player if we could get better, that's the business we are in.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Whether or not replacing Gray with Whittaker would work out for the best is really tough to call but one thing is 100% certain, we'd be a lot softer down that side. In terms of aggression and power Gray couldn't really offer much more, such a strong tackler and I reckon that can be intimidating and off-puting for opposition players.

Left by mutual consent!
    Norwich releasing him and 5 other players at end of the season, not getting contracta extensions. This is all falling into place...

So NL has offered David Gray a contract and is also trying to get Steven Whittaker (apparently), but this thread is almost all about replacing Gray? I'm so glad that so many netters can read NL's mind......

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

You better email Neil Lennon quickly. If the rumours are right, it seems he's not aware of all that and he could be about to make a huge mistake.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    You better email Neil Lennon quickly. If the rumours are right, it seems he's not aware of all that and he could be about to make a huge mistake.
    There's a reason I was offered the chief scout role.

In all seriousness I have no doubt about our staff of course, I still think he could be a very good signing. I'm just not entirely sure he would walk into the right back role and I just want to provide a slightly different perspective after seeing a fair bit of him the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Why ? So we should pay way over what NL thinks he is worth just because someone else will ?
    No. Because he is a fine defender who gives everything for our club and I actually think we need a spine of these players rather than fill the team with older "name players" a la commons.
    David Gray has led our club through difficult times superbly and deserves a decent contract.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    No. Because he is a fine defender who gives everything for our club and I actually think we need a spine of these players rather than fill the team with older "name players" a la commons.
    David Gray has led our club through difficult times superbly and deserves a decent contract.
    The same Commons that gave us the crucial lead in the league that we went on to win?

The same one. Did a good job for a few weeks but wouldn't be happy seeing a large chunk of our budget going on him signing permanently.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

As he did when he was with us. He turns one way when an opponent approaches him, leaving himself exposed to 'the other way' which the forward usually exploits.
    Good going forward - poor defender IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    He obviously thought Brian Graham would score a fair few goals in this league

For what its worth, in a flat back four I would say SDG is your man & playing with wing backs, then no question Whit's is the guy for us. As has been suggested by plenty on here regarding each players strength.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Not a huge surprise to be honest, simply an agent doing his job for his player.

My take would be the offer that Hibs have made isn't what they were looking for.

Get a better offer from another club and then go back to Hibs and say better this or I sign elsewhere.

Hibs either stump up or player leaves.

If no better offer then he signs for Hibs again.

Hibs have seemingly made a lot of offers to players who are out of contract, my hope is they have put a time limit on these as the uncertainty could lead to delays in going for targets.

The out of contract players have now had a good bit of time to consider the offers they have had from the club, think the club will be expecting answers pretty shortly, with Lennon making it public about Whittaker it might be that some have already gave the club a answer.

@hibs.net private member
    I sometimes wonder how many on here have actually attended Hibs games this year?

I don't think Gray has had a particularly good season and i find myself and others around me at games repeatedly frustrated by Gray.

IMHO if we can sign a stronger RB for next year then we should be doing so, none of this nostalgia loyalty that seems to floating about!

So he scored the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final, what has he done this year that means he deserves to be first choice RB?

I read on another thread that we shouldn't be offering new contract to players who had one great game last year (I think it was in reference to Fyvie), so why should David Gray be any different.

As captain I have hardly seen him rally the troops when we have been losing or drawing this year and thats what i would expect from a captain (on and off the pitch).

I have seen him more often hide away when he is playing poorly.