hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He will of course go to where he gets the best financial deal.
    I think given his status Hearts would be the exception to that. He knows his place here for the rest of his life and what comes with that. Signing for Hearts puts that at a fair bit of risk.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    As long as Whittaker hasn't lost his pace and ability to get up and down the park he'd be a great signing.

Would be gutted to lose SDG but sometimes in football you have to be ruthless. If we as a club have a better option then we need to do what's best for us.

Similarly, if SDG sees his career elsewhere, for whatever reason then he'll do what's best for him.

So long as he doesn't end up at Hearts...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I think given his status Hearts would be the exception to that. He knows his place here for the rest of his life and what comes with that. Signing for Hearts puts that at a fair bit of risk.
    People need to grow up.Do you think Gordon Smith going to Hearts diminishes him in anyone's eyes as our greatest ever player?

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Would be a good signing, but I'd rather have Gray if it's between the two of them.
    I agree.

Whittaker is decent but Im not sure offers any more than David Gray, our captain and captain reliable, he's 28 as oppose to 32 he's still got alot to give and has more games in recent seasons under his belt.

Signing Whittaker wouldnt spell the end of SDG at Hibs for me and given the choice of either or, Gray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by madhibee_again View Post
    Wonder what that would mean for Sir David?
    When I saw Jordon Forster wearing the armband on Saturday and SDG was playing, I felt the writing was on the wall for our Scottish Cup winning Captain
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    I saw it mentioned that Hibs don't see Gray as an automatic first pick next season. I wouldn't be surprised by that, I feel he's been miles off his best for a lot of this season.

I like how that rag of a newspaper said he controversially left the third division club

He could be the big knock 'em down guy in midfield.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    David Gray has been a great signing for Hibs and is a legend because of 21/05/2016.

A better player than Steven Whittaker though, never in time.

PS, I called this weeks ago when stating I expected Whittaker would resign along with other ex players before their careers were finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    When I saw Jordon Forster wearing the armband on Saturday and SDG was playing, I felt the writing was on the wall for our Scottish Cup winning Captain
    I know Jordon is under contract but wondered if he's off!

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    David Gray has been a great signing for Hibs and is a legend because of 21/05/2016.

PS, I called this weeks ago when stating I expected Whittaker would resign along with other ex players before their careers were finished.
    Spill!

Sdg and sjm ofski

Grey's new deal may not be as good as he expected and the reason he might be away, he's been very average this year and we'll need players at the top of their games for next season.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    What happened to us signing young hungry players who are desperate to make their mark in the game. I worry that if this is our new approach then we're looking at short term success. I hope Lennon doesn't go down this road tbh.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    What happened to us signing young hungry players who are desperate to make their mark in the game. I worry that if this is our new approach then we're looking at short term success. I hope Lennon doesn't go down this road tbh.
    Just because you sign an experienced professional or two doesn't mean you're going to stop bringing in good young talent to the club, eg Stevie Mallon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1875STEVE View Post
    Spill!
    Never put a time limit on it but I said that at least two out of Whittaker, Brown, Griffiths, Fletcher and Miller would play for the club again.

That's the beauty of being a good club who look after players.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Don't worry, we are also looking for guy up and coming talent too...

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Just because you sign an experienced professional or two doesn't mean you're going to stop bringing in good young talent to the club, eg Stevie Mallon.
    Yes I agree with that. As long as there's a balance I'll be happy. I just worry about Lennon being more concerned about his future than ours.

United we stand here....

Never put a time limit on it but I said that at least two out of Whittaker, Brown, Griffiths, Fletcher and Miller would play for the club again.

That's the beauty of being a good club who look after players.
    Griffiths and Brown would be decent for next season.

Yes I agree with that. As long as there's a balance I'll be happy. I just worry about Lennon being more concerned about his future than ours.
    There has to be a balance, good pros will help the youngsters no end, only last week Jason Cummings was giving credit to Grant Holt.

Lennon will realise the best way to guarantee his future is by doing well at Hibs, whether it be with us or helps to get him a move. Win / win for me.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by jodjam View Post
    I like how that rag of a newspaper said he controversially left the third division club
    That was my favourite bit, too.

Choosing to play in the Premiership and earn a shedload over playing in the Scottish Third Division.

Controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Indeed, may have to wait that wee bit longer however.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

I'm at a loss as to what you mean by the last phrase, scoopyboy. Please explain and excuse my yamitis.

First Team Breakthrough
    Forster was saying in the press last week how proud he was getting to wear the arm band for 15 odd minutes against Raith, wonder if him getting it on Saturday was related to that? Season over, but letting get to lead the team out etc? Hope so as would be gutted to see SDG leave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sundance Kid View Post
    Kenny Millar tweeted that there wasn't truth in the rumours of Hearts interest in Gray, thankfully
    He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to take a step backwards - I doubt there is any interest from him to sign for them.

Whittaker and Gray are different types of player. The Whittaker I remember was dynamic going forward, a good passer, right sided but could play centre mid when required. I don't ever remember him playing down the left for Hibs, but maybe he did. I wasn't a fan of his defending at all, he left big gaps when he went forward as a right back and got caught out of position quite a few times, making Malkowski look an even worse goalkeeper than he already was. That said, Whittaker was a quality player, and part of a Hibs team that, going forward, were really great to watch. Whether he still retains the skill he had in his younger days remains to be seen.

Gray, when he's fit and at the top of his game, IMO is a better defender, he doesn't have the natural ability that Whittaker had, but he's bloody effective when he sprints down the right side and gets a cross into the box. He chips in with a goal or two as well, something Whittaker didn't do at all (he only scored 1 goal that I can remember). I do feel that his role is slightly different when Boyle plays, as Boyle seems to be more right sided and centre, and with his pace there's less need for Gray to play the wing back role, but he's 4 years younger than Whittaker and of the two, he'd be the one I'd be more comfortable with, but if he was to move on at the end of the day he was a legend for us and he'd have my best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Whittaker and Gray are different types of player. The Whittaker I remember was dynamic going forward, a good passer, right sided but could play centre mid when required. I don't ever remember him playing down the left for Hibs, but maybe he did. I wasn't a fan of his defending at all, he left big gaps when he went forward as a right back and got caught out of position quite a few times, making Malkowski look an even worse goalkeeper than he already was. That said, Whittaker was a quality player, and part of a Hibs team that, going forward, were really great to watch. Whether he still retains the skill he had in his younger days remains to be seen.

Gray, when he's fit and at the top of his game, IMO is a better defender, he doesn't have the natural ability that Whittaker had, but he's bloody effective when he sprints down the right side and gets a cross into the box. He chips in with a goal or two as well, something Whittaker didn't do at all (he only scored 1 goal that I can remember). I do feel that his role is slightly different when Boyle plays, as Boyle seems to be more right sided and centre, and with his pace there's less need for Gray to play the wing back role, but he's 4 years younger than Whittaker and of the two, he'd be the one I'd be more comfortable with, but if he was to move on at the end of the day he was a legend for us and he'd have my best wishes.
    Whittaker scored 11 goals in 1 season for Rangers, Gray has 8 in his career.

Left by mutual consent!
    Whittaker(32) left Hibs for Rangers (as they were called then) Sir David Gray(28) is the captain of our club who won the Scottish Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

Steven Whittaker will be 33 in 6 weeks time.
    He would be worth the risk for a 1 year contract but would want at least a 2 year deal on good money.
    We might quickly find out he is past it but have to keep paying him for 2 seasons.
    We need to stop living in the past.