hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Next season

Left by mutual consent!

Next season

Watching sportscene we have nothing to fear from that rubbish next season !!

2. Log in to remove the advert

The standard of defending in some of yesterday's Premiership matches was very very poor.

e.g. The Rangers defending against Celtic; ICT's against Ross County; Motherwell's against Dundee; and Hertz against Partick Thistle to name a few.

Also, what about that totally empty area behind one goal at Hamilton Accies soulless ground? Atmosphere killer.

A lot will depend on who leaves and who comes in. If we keep the squad together then I would expect us to finish top 6 comfortably and then kick on from there.

Reckon the bottom 6 would struggle to win the Championship. It's only the format that keeps most of them in the Prem.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reckon the bottom 6 would struggle to win the Championship. It's only the format that keeps most of them in the Prem.
    Been saying that for a couple of years. It's ridiculous that we have teams like Falkirk and Dunfermline getting twice the crowds of Hamilton and Inverness yet have to compete with £1.5 less money. We need a bigger league to make the likes of Falkirk and Dunfermline stronger to improve the standard of Scottish fitba. It's so bleeding obvious but of course the Gfa is only there to serve two teams.

First Team Breakthrough
    Ross County v ICT less than 5 thousand and Highland derby to boot,
    Motherwell v Dundee less than 5 thousand,
    Hamilton v Kilmarnock less than 3 thousand.

All these teams have earned the right to play in the Premier league, but at this point in the season, and with all of them fighting to stay in the top division, these are really poor attendances. Do they really bring more to the table than the likes of Falkirk St Mirren or Dunfermline?

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    That's probably why they voted against the 12-12/8-8-8 proposal. Bizarre thing is that if they did get relegated then that would be their best chance of promotion.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88
    Why do Hamilton struggle to attract fans? They only have one home stand and that was about 1/3 full v Killie. It looks pants!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogga View Post
    Why do Hamilton struggle to attract fans? They only have one home stand and that was about 1/3 full v Killie. It looks pants!
    Because only 50,000 people live there. I doubt there are many towns in England with as big footy teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Because only 50,000 people live there. I doubt there are many towns in England with as big footy teams.
    Teams in the fifth or sixth tier of English fooball attract bigger crowds than Hamilton Accies.

Hamilton spent far too long 'on tour' playing for seven years groundsharing with Albion Rovers and Partick Thistle. That basically killed the relationship of the club with the town.

The old Airdrieonians team suffered in the same way playing for four seasons at Broadwood and stripping their support in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Teams in the fifth or sixth tier of English fooball attract bigger crowds than Hamilton Accies.

Hamilton spent far too long 'on tour' playing for seven years groundsharing with Albion Rovers and Partick Thistle. That basically killed the relationship of the club with the town.

The old Airdrieonians team suffered in the same way playing for four seasons at Broadwood and stripping their support in the process.
    Agree with most of that mate, but in their defence it's worth mentioning that Hamilton have a really good youth policy, and spend within their means too. Their development team is a good one, and they have a history of bringing young players through into the first team on a pretty regular basis. I certainly couldn't disagree with anything you said though.

Seen loads of empty spaces at pittodrie.

Attended was 10,606.

This for a team that has won 14 out of last 16 games, is clear in 2nd place and is in a cup final.

The sportsound sheep love in with Miller, Gordon etc never seems to discuss this point. The board must be seriously wondering what they need to do to get more fans in.

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    Seen loads of empty spaces at pittodrie.

Attended was 10,606.

This for a team that has won 14 out of last 16 games, is clear in 2nd place and is in a cup final.

The sportsound sheep love in with Miller, Gordon etc never seems to discuss this point. The board must be seriously wondering what they need to do to get more fans in.
    Winning the cup and counting all season ticket holders as attendees would help

League should be bigger, but on saying that, it would take away much needed revenue from the lower leagues. I hope all the clubs in the lower leagues that had visits from us the yams and the huns invested their extra gate receipts wisely. This must have been a timely boost to their koffers.

Of whom, 45000 go to Ibrox and Parkhead every other week or watch those teams in the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Winning the cup and counting all season ticket holders as attendees would help
    We all know they won't be winning the cup. They will bottle it as per usual.

They might not count season tickets but we still average much larger crows and we don't have the ugly sisters or yams to bump up away end.

According to this website http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scott...wettbewerb/SC2

We are averaging 15,200 fans at ER. Aberdeenare around 12k and Hertz at 16.1k ( although we all know that's not accurate plus they get at least 3 sell outs against the OF. )

We are doing really well, but hope we can keep it going when we are not pushing for the title next year - hopefully pushing for second though!!

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibben View Post

We are averaging 15,200 fans at ER. Aberdeenare around 12k and Hertz at 16.1k ( although we all know that's not accurate plus they get at least 3 sell outs against the OF. )

We are doing really well, but hope we can keep it going when we are not pushing for the title next year - hopefully pushing for second though!!
    Hearts do the same as us: count season tickets as in attendance. Their number is probably right with that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibben View Post

Our crowds are very good just now and hopefully we can keep it going. Given the much higher prices at the PBS now, I would not be surprised if their crowds drop a bit. That and the fact they are mince.

Said it since we got relegated, the difference between the bottom 6 teams in the top league, vs the top 5 teams in the championship is minimal.

Falkirk, Dundee Utd, Morton and QoS would all compete with Hamilton, Ross County, ICT and Motherwell.

We may have drawn alot this season but we dont ever look like getting beat. I fully expect us to comfortably get top 6, and challenge for top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    We all know they won't be winning the cup. They will bottle it as per usual.

They might not count season tickets but we still average much larger crows and we don't have the ugly sisters or yams to bump up away end.
    Seagulls are quite big too!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    A lot will depend on who leaves and who comes in. If we keep the squad together then I would expect us to finish top 6 comfortably and then kick on from there.
    We absolutely have to be aiming for top 6 as an absolute minimum. We really need to push the ST campaign as much as possible, the more we sell, the bigger the budget Lennon has to work with, simple as that.

Hopefully we can keep the main core of the team together, theres need for additions but not many. Keep the team together and maybe start to shift out the likes of Stanton, Insall, Handling, Harris etc which will free up some of the wage bill. I know theres still a wee bit of debate over the likes of Harris but IMO these guys are not going to cut it at hibs so we really need to let them go, for their own sakes as well as ours tbh!

Other than that theres not really any other players i'd wish to see leave (I know we will lose Shinnie, Ambrose and Holt as they aren't ours). Maybe Humpreys? But in fairness to him, due to injury we haven't seen as much of him to fully judge him. McGeouchs another head scratcher. When fit he's one of the best players in the team, he's just incrediably frustrating with injuries, it seems to be like in for 2 games out for 2 games. Would be gutted to lose him but if he's spending more time on the physio table than on the pitch it may have come a point where we have to bite the bullet and cut our loses on him. A real real shame and difficult scenario.I'm just not sure what the answer is, a guy on another thread saying the only solution is surgery which will keep him out for 6 months. If thats the case (and I'm quite doubtful that it is actually because i'm sure we would have just done it by now) then nows the time to do it. He'd be back for the second half next season and hopefully it would stop regular injuries occuring after.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 01-05-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    The standard of defending in some of yesterday's Premiership matches was very very poor.

e.g. The Rangers defending against Celtic; ICT's against Ross County; Motherwell's against Dundee; and Hertz against Partick Thistle to name a few.

Also, what about that totally empty area behind one goal at Hamilton Accies soulless ground? Atmosphere killer.
    To be fair to Sevco the pace Celtic move the ball at is frightening, the way they played on Saturday I'm glad it wasn't Hibs against them, they would have put 5 past any team in Scotland playing like that, including us. As far as next season goes I'm not even thinking about Celtic, they are so far ahead of everybody else they don't even come into the equation when you start thinking of how we will get on ... if we could get a couple of draws against them I'd be chuffed to say the least.

As for the rest, I don't think the bottom 6 in the premiership are much better than the top 4 in the championship and the point about Hamilton's ground is well made ....... back in the day clubs were forced to make their grounds all seater with a minimum capacity of 6,000 in order to be granted admission to the SPL and clubs found a way.

Perhaps its time the SPFL made a statement that within a period of 5 years any club wanting to play in the premiership must have a stadium enclosed by 4 stands ..... Hibs built a 6,000 capacity stand for something like 3 million quid and St Mirren built a whole new ground for 8 million .... all that's required at the likes of Hamilton is a very basic 1000 capacity stand along the pitch and a 500 capacity one behind the goals .... Partick Thistle only need a 1000 capacity stand at the open end.

Surely the SFA and SPFL could find a way to help clubs pay for ground improvements, even if that meant finding a way to fund loans to clubs at minimum terms ........ Getting these clubs to build new stands may be seen as a negative, but the other side of that coin is how much money have clubs like Partick, ICT, Hamilton and even Falkirk lost over the last few years by not having enough capacity to cope with the big away supports of the ugly sisters, Aberdeen, Hibs and the Yams.

Take Partick Thistle ...... If they had a 1000 capacity stand at the end currently not in use in the 4 seasons the have been in the premiership they would almost certainly have filled it a minimum of 8 times ..... if they had charged £20 a ticket that amounts to £160,000 of revenue lost to them as a result of having an unfinished stadium. Going forward every time they play the ugly sisters they will lose £20,000 for want of that 1000 capacity stand.

So yeh, perhaps asking these clubs to get the finger out will be tough on them, but there are also advantages for them in doing it and it will be of huge benefit to the image of Scottish football IMO.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 02-05-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SRH View Post
    Hearts do the same as us: count season tickets as in attendance. Their number is probably right with that in mind.
    They've also had a lot more away fans attending so that will bump their average up.

Burnley is a town of 80,000!