hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Blackburn Roverz v Hibs

Is my memory playing tricks on me?

Did we play at Blackburn Rovers away in the 80s?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I think it was early to mid 90s. Maybe around about the time Shearer signed for them?

EDIT - That was a home game, we won 3-0. No idea about away friendly though.

Only time I mind us playing them was the Blackburrn/Bolton double header around 2009. Some trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    I think it was early to mid 90s. Maybe around about the time Shearer signed for them?
    Shearer's first game for them. Hibs 3 Blackburn 0.
    A small band of Rovers fans were singing 'what a waste of money' at the game.
    I wonder how long it took for their opinions to change

EDIT - That was a home game, we won 3-0. No idea about away friendly though.
    At Blackburn?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Shearer's first game for them. Hibs 3 Blackburn 0.
    A small band of Rovers fans were singing 'what a waste of money' at the game.
    I wonder how long it took for their opinions to change
    Funny how you remember things differently always thought it was Hibs fans signing what awaste of money to tease Blackburn fans. Also thought they might sign Keith Keith Keith after his performance

Left by mutual consent!
    At Blackburn?
    Trying to find something but nothing coming up on Google. Not doubting we did play them down there, I'd have just been a boy back then!

Trying to find something but nothing coming up on Google. Not doubting we did play them down there, I'd have just been a boy back then!
    Me too. I was there but present company isn't sure my memory is accurate. 😁
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Funny how you remember things differently always thought it was Hibs fans signing what awaste of money to tease Blackburn fans. Also thought they might sign Keith Keith Keith after his performance
    Now you mention it I think you might be right. I do remember the game but my memory of the finer points might be a little crossed.
    What I can tell you for a fact is that the magnificent Shearer did manage to get himself lost in Neil Orr's back pocket for the hour or so he was on the park.

I might be getting mixed up but did Kenny D not turn out for us and Keith got a hatrick, sure it was a testimonial. Cost me a lot more in the end as wife had bought tickets for Fleetwood Mac that night, I said going to the match was more important!

First Team Breakthrough green.oracle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Now you mention it I think you might be right. I do remember the game but my memory of the finer points might be a little crossed.
    What I can tell you for a fact is that the magnificent Shearer did manage to get himself lost in Neil Orr's back pocket for the hour or so he was on the park.

We played them home and away in the anglo scottish cup 77/78. Hibs won 2-1 at ER and 1-0 away. Cant remember scorers. Johnny boy?

Proud to say beat them 2-1 in the Anglo Scottish cup at Easter road
    Then down here beat them 1-0 tony Higgins scored the goal
    Going into school as a 9 year old letting them know that my team beat them wa brilliant
    15 years later when they had all the money they decided to play at ER
    We ran two buses from our local the Bowling Green one of them and the Lancashire Hibees what a day as some one said Neil Orr had shearer in his pocket
    " what a waste of money "
    We used to have some great times in the Bowling Green watching Hibs

We hammered Blackburn that night. We were a couple of weeks ahead of them in pre-season, but it was still a great result. Definitely the Hibees singing "what a waste of money" at Shearer. Remember that nearest they came to a goal was one of their players breaking free but called offside. He heard whistle before shooting, so only kicked it half-heartedly. Goalie (Budgie, I'd imagine) made no attempt to stop it, and it was trundling goal-wards. Cue the ballboy clearing it off the line. They couldn't even score when we stopped trying!

Quote Originally Posted by green.oracle View Post
    We played them home and away in the anglo scottish cup 77/78. Hibs won 2-1 at ER and 1-0 away. Cant remember scorers. Johnny boy?
    That's the one!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    What a signing Keith was. Pure class. Keith Keith Keith thanks for being one of the heroes of 91/92 who did the business against the huns and gave us the best night of parading the silverware home along Princes Street we'll never forget. What a night that was. Danced in the Elm Bar until the early morning light and beyond. ****you Mercer ****.

glory glory

Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    I might be getting mixed up but did Kenny D not turn out for us and Keith got a hatrick, sure it was a testimonial. Cost me a lot more in the end as wife had bought tickets for Fleetwood Mac that night, I said going to the match was more important!

Was that not Alan Sneddon's Testimonial against Aston villa ? Prior to the LC Final. 5-1 Rings a bell ????

Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    What a signing Keith was. Pure class. Keith Keith Keith thanks for being one of the heroes of 91/92 who did the business against the huns and gave us the best night of parading the silverware home along Princes Street we'll never forget. What a night that was. Danced in the Elm Bar until the early morning light and beyond. ****you Mercer ****.

glory glory
    Edit

Should have added - Thank you Sir Tom for saving us from mercenary and for sticking with us despite everything and for the Cup. Thank you very much Sir Tom Farmer.

glory glory

Quote Originally Posted by SON OF PADDY View Post
    Was that not Alan Sneddon's Testimonial against Aston villa ? Prior to the LC Final. 5-1 Rings a bell ????
    Could be right but I thought Kenny brought Blackburn up, and it was Shearer first game for them, but the memory is getting worse!!

Quote Originally Posted by SON OF PADDY View Post
    It was but I'm sure the score was 4-2 to us.

My memory must be getting worse. I remember going to Blackburn away for midweek Anglo Scottish cup tie but I thought we won 3-2 down there.

Hibs fans singing what a waste of money.

Blackburn fans singing back what a lot of money!

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoxburghHibs View Post
    Definitely 4-2

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Only time I mind us playing them was the Blackburrn/Bolton double header around 2009. Some trip.
    IIRC that was the night Celtic got pumped from Artmedia 5-0, remember watching it in the boozer at the away end at Ewood Park. (Hermit Crab will recall the train journey back to Preston I would imagine)!

Quote Originally Posted by RoxburghHibs View Post
    Think Sneddons game was v Aston Villa, Keith scored either three or four in a 4 1 victory, played alongside King Kenny, said Kenny Dalglish was a dream to play alongside.
    Last edited by Fanforlife; 30-04-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Games getting mixed up here I think, we beat Blackburn in both legs of Anglo,beat them again in a friendly when Shearer played,3 0 with Keith scoring the three, then Sneddons testimonial against Villa when Dalglish played alongside Keith in a Hibs win.

Pretty sure the game in 92 was Darren Jacksons debut

Played Blackburn in a friendly away midweek, a few years ago, and Bolton away on the Saturday
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull